Wonder Woman's new look: At long last, pants!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Christopher, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

That was my first thought, they are gearing up for a movie, but who know?

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gods help me I just read Wonder Woman 600.

4 or 5 dinky stories about mostly nothing concluding with Stravinski's prologue to his new ongoing... Only? Why in gods name did they have like 10 splash pages of Wonder Woman in her classic "uniform" if this was the issue in which the NEW costume debuted?

Surely we would want to see 10 pictures of the new uniform by ten members of marvels top talent pool rather than a farewell to the old duds? because lets face it... These togs are not going to be in it for the long haul.

Look closely at the jacket she is wearing.

Isn't that the same "jacket" Diana was wearing in the 90's when that redhead stole her job? I mean this in a good way. The Jacket was in her wardrobe and she liked it, so she put it on again, just like what happens when any one of us digs into the back of our wardrobes looking for Narnia or clean socks.

JMS' story was a little shit.

3. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

:techman:

Agreed.

4. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I improved it a bit since that last doodle with the help of a higher rez version of the picture and getting my tablet to work momentarily. Not particularly polished, but it fixes almost everything I have against the new costume and I think makes it pretty damn snazzy. I'd get rid of the choker too, but that seems like too much effort right now:

[​IMG]

5. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Except, you know, Carmine Infantino's redesign was good. And Barry Allen was an awesome guy.

Interestingly, though, I pitched a fit when they brought him back.

I think it's just because an idea can be placed in a category such as "old" or "new," doesn't cause or even correlate with whether it's in the category of "good" or "bad."

Anyway, I've never particularly understood why showing a little leg is either 1)particularly sexist or 2)poor design. Diana's not entirely bulletproof, but she's usually shown to be more resistant than most fabrics.

At this rate, the next time Magnus, Robot Fighter comes back he won't even have the Goddamn skirt. :scream:

(Yes, I know they redesigned his costume in the Valiant series circa the Malev War. And that stank, too. Might as well have changed the name to Magnus, Homophobe Fighter. Same deal in microcosm with the second Rai, even though he was an original creation and only had about eight issues before Erica Pierce snuffed him in Unity--they nevertheless managed to lame up an iconic-looking character.)

6. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lose the lame jacket. Did Wonder Woman raid Vibe's discarded wardrobe?

7. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

That's awesome. Really. I love it. It fixes everything that I don't like about the new costume, it's fresh but recognizable. Send it to DC. Send it now. :techman:

(I like the choker, but only because in general I find chokers pretty damn sexy.)

8. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nah, I think she borrowed from Wonder Girls closet;):D:
    [​IMG]

I think the "Im glad that WW has pants" argument comes bit weak, after one sees the current Birds of Prey:lol:( No, I dont want pants to all superheroines):

[​IMG]

Anyway..
    Like I said in an earlier thread, I dont mind the new costume.
    It looks fine..and I guess it serves its purpose:)
    I dont like the jacket much, thoug.
    And that being said..I didint personally have nothing against the old iconic costume. It really defines her, visually that is.
    It will propably come back, at some point:shifty:

It is also likely, that the new outfit will make the WW film moving closer to reality, especially now that there is a producer who lobbying to make it:cool::
    http://scifiwire.com/2010/06/x-men-producer-begs-dc-
    co.php
    (Though it would be fine, if the film would have the old costume also..)

The costume and other changes have really sparked some big depates and arguments on the comic book forums.
    Some praise the new costume and direction:techman:
    ..while others condem JMS and his direction to the lower parts of Hell:devil:
    I can understand the fuzz..but some of the langue is very inmature, since it comes mostly from adults.
    I cant really participate much of the arguments, because Im just getting board the comic..and I know Wonder Woman mostly from handfull of trades, the TV-show and the animated JLA series:)

Im sure this re-boot will help to bring in some new readers, that the comic seems to be needing, judging from the sales.
    Some hardcore comic book fans said yesterday in the forums that they dont "Give a rats ass about the newbies".
    Well, Im glad that some old fans are more welcome to the "newbies" like me:)...

9. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

The answer is, NONE! The same goes for the feminists at most of the web sites and blogs. NONE of them read Wonder Woman-they just pay lip service to her, and then they do a bullcrit (bullshit criticism) as if they know or care about her. Her image/character/lovelife is something most of them have a great opinion about even though none of them read or have really read the book in a while. It was all talked about here in this article:

15 Years Without A Man:
    Is Wonder Woman Gay?

Paradise Island? Or Isle of Lesbos?

THIS above-mentioned reason is why people hate any change in Wonder Woman, including the costume.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

On the subject of "iconic" costumes: Neal Adams redesigned Robin's costume a couple of decades ago, keeping its "iconic" stylistic elements but making it more modern and practical and less like a circus outfit. And that redesign endures to this day. An iconic look doesn't require an absolutely unchanging costume; after all, Wonder Woman's costume has changed many times over the years while keeping the same core stylistic elements. So there's no reason they couldn't keep the practical aspects like the shoulder straps and pants while still retaining the iconic visual elements. I think the Lee redesign does retain the iconic aspects, just in a modified and subdued way, although the jacket disrupts it too much. Just losing the jacket, I think, would be a considerable improvement.

11. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Thank you...that really sums up a lot of thoughts I've had about Wonder Woman for awhile now.

12. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Pretty much sums it up for me too.

I will always hold Ms. Marvel up as a far better example of a true superheroine. She, probably, holds the same place in the Marvel universe as Wonder Woman does in DC's yet we get no pseudo-feminism, no comments about the treatment of women in "man's world" and certainly no concept of her representing her entire gender.

I doubt those who would criticise Wonder Woman having a child or even just a boyfriend have actually bought a comic book in their lives anyway (*). I thought feminism was supposed to broaden women's choices, not limit them. Because she's the International Representative of the Entire Female Gender she can't have sex ? Talk about your Female Eunuch!

Compare her to Ms. Marvel who, in her own book, juggling her efforts to improve her public image, two potential suitors and leadership of two superhero teams, while trying to sneak in a few games of Bejeweled. This is because Carol Danvers is a normal person when she takes the costume off.

(* - Actually, I would criticise her having a boyfriend or a child - but only if she did what she did with Nemesis again, i.e. lead him on in order to get pregnant. That's a little bit too on the nose for me.)

13. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly.
    Just like comics do the death/rebirth schtick as a way to garner interest this is the other one. The costume change.
    She wore that all black aerobic workout looking outfit for a while in the 90s after technically not being WW, didn't last either.

Spidey will always return to the red/blue's
    Daredevil in the reds
    Superman didn't remain electric red/blue either.

The classic will return, just enjoy this for the next 18-24months.

14. Blamo

Blamo Commodore Commodore

Forget the sexual politics, the old outfit just looks rubbish and outdated. As do most superheroes that came about in the early 20th century or were created using a similar design style, however Wonder Woman is perhaps one of the worst.

Even though the comic industry is more varied then most people realise (especially the more deluded Manga fans), it's the superhero market that gets the most attention. As such, the first introduction people get to the comic industry are superhero images. If they just improved that, it may boost all round sales.

I'd also say digital distribution on a PC/Mac would help, but again you have the hardcore comic book fans complaining (from the way they complain, it sounds like their main interest is collecting comics books, not reading them).

15. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Very nice, I think you made the "pants" work nicely. I like the way you integrated the new and the old look. I think that dark look was to work with the ill-advised(IMO, we'll see) urban warrior thing they got going on. Either way, I like what you've done here.

That jacket just looked like it would bind her if she moved too far. I'm not sure that the shoulder pads wouldn't but it looks more right.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Sorry, I just don't care for the shoulder pads. And I like the lack of high boots in the Lee design; it makes her legs look longer because there's an unbroken stretch of color from waist to heel. And the featureless, wide gold trim on the boots in this proposed redesign clashes with the intricate detailing on the belt.

17. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks, That's pretty much what I was imagining. I like the pants in blue, it stays close enough to the old colour scheme that it still seems like Wonder Woman. The shoulder pad work. I like it a lot more than the jacket.

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here. I would just have bare shoulders and the long, skin-tight pants. This, while well-executed, seems a bit overdesigned to me (much like Supergirl's overdesigned modern costume).

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It's funny that JMS or Jim Lee are concerned about the practicallity of the costume of a character that is usually lines on a paper or a screen. Hey dummies,the only way her "parts" are going to fly out, are if you draw them flying out!!! I'm not sure if "practical" is a word that should allowed anywhere near a character who is a statue brought to life by the magic of the Greek Gods. Even for "street level" superheroes, supervised visits is perferable. ;)

20. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Aye.