Uniform Confirmation from Trekmovie.com

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Jon1701, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swarles Barkley

Swarles Barkley Commodore Commodore

Now wait just a damned minute.

The uniforms should be those ugly taupe and blue deals from "The Cage"/"WNMHGB"! Teh continuity is voilated!!! Abrams...raping...childhood!!!11!!!111!1!!!

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm bummed about the comment that the miniskirts will be longer. :(

4. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

I quit caring about how this thing is going to look a while ago. Now I just care about it not sucking or trying to imitate everything else in the last five years.

5. scotthm

scotthm Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm excited to hear about the uniforms, but a little disturbed by the following comment from the article:

This is a bad (but not unexpected) omen for the Enterprise design. :(

---------------

6. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Not really...it's saying that everything else besides the uniforms is farther away from TOS designs.

7. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    People:

Sounds good to me. As for the whole two-piece vs. one-piece discussion, it's true that the uniform tops had the black collar integrated in TOS. However, there is some precedent for a top shirt/jacket and one underneath. As we saw in The Cage, the landing party had excursion jackets, so this division isn't a big stretch from that era.

Also, let's not forget that in most of the other ST movies, as well as some of the series, the two-piece look is quite prevalent. The more I hear, the more I'm encouraged that we're getting respectful nods to TOS's past from Abrams and company. I mean, c'mon, you didn't think a movie made in 2008 would feature uniform tops that look exactly like TOS tops from 1966?

Red Ranger

8. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I remember just a few short years ago people were saying, "You don't actually believe that they would do another series or movie in the TOS era, do you?" So, frankly, I don't put much of anything outside the realm of possibility at this point, and I don't make too many assumptions about what will and will not work.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it's pretty encouraging.

From what I understand, the design work on the main Enterprise interiors is remarkable.

10. cultcross

cultcross The Slay of the Doctor Moderator

11. Brian

Brian Vice Admiral Admiral

Who says the wraparound and dress tunic were supposed to be the same color as the standard duty shirt?

12. USS Mariner

No, he's right. The second picture is the remastered print, while the first is the DVD caps.

Although the lights are casting a yellow tint to the shirts, the restoration of the print shows us what they looked like as filmed in '66, prior to 40 years of wear and aging.

After all, why are many fan films (including Exeter and New Voyages/Phase II) now using green costumes? Because that's what Theiss used. If you dig through the set photos on NV's site, you can see the command shirts change color in different lighting, from a mustard gold to a very distinct green.

Using gold may have been a creative choice, or perhaps JJ didn't know. In any case, the originals are green.

13. USS Mariner

Why would they be intentionally different? The others weren't.

14. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Uh, probably Bill Thiess since he went on record stating the color selected was green. If one wanted the shirts to appear yellow on screen, one could just pick that color, instead of going through the convoluted process of trying different colors that would "appear" to be the color one wanted in the first place.

I don't suppose they had the time or money to go through such a process.

Oh well, since I wasn't there (as opposed to EXPERTS) I guess the matter isn't settled. Like guitars have anything to do with shirts. :confused:

15. USS Mariner

Like I said, aged or bad prints of the film may have lead to the "gold" shirts rather than what was captured in the cameras.

16. Squiggy

They've always been gold. It's not like on some day in the 70s when the films aged to a finite point those green tunics everyone was wearing turned gold.

17. USS Mariner

Then explain all of the set and cast photos from the original series that show Shatner wearing green tunics?

Besides, what are you even talking about? Even if the network copies of the prints were correct, do you really think the TV's were set right half of the time?

Andrew Fucking Probert though the 1701 was blue-green. Is it any coincidence that most everyone else thought the shirts were gold?

18. Squiggy

Calm down there Sally...what I meant was that the tunics on film have always been gold. They never aired as green and if they were meant to have aired as such, they would have been.

19. USS Mariner

If they were always gold on film, then why are the remastered prints coming up green, and matching restored film clips and cast photos from the series?

Check out startrekhistory.com for restored film clips.

20. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Some people prefer to live in the past. It's known as the Star Trek Paradox... they love a show about the future, but it must be exactly like the past. This thinking would shut down Norman, but somehow it keeps this type of fan going.
    GO, JJ, GO! :vulcan:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.