SPOILERS : List of the TOS references in the new movie

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Botany Bay, May 15, 2009.

1. Captain Roberts

Captain Roberts Lieutenant Red Shirt

How about when McCoy and Kirk's shuttle flys by Enterprise the same way, just quicker, as in TMP.

2. Captain Roberts

Captain Roberts Lieutenant Red Shirt

Just reaching, when young Kirk climbs out of the pod on Delta Vega, is this referencing free climbing El Capitan?

3. Joker

Joker Vice Admiral Admiral

Kirk walks upright in both the new film and in TOS.

4. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

The movie was in color. Possible reference to the original series being in color?

Some of the words people used in the film had the letter N in them. Possible reference to NBC, the network that aired TOS?

Actors learned their lines from scripts for the movie. Actors learned their lines from scripts for the series. Coincidence, or clever reference?

James Doohan always complained that there was no water-slide ride in the engineering set. Possible reference in the film?

Scotty was a drunk. Engineering was filmed in a brewery. Possible reference?

5. NileQT87

NileQT87 Commander Red Shirt

Quinto does a very similar lanky elbow walk as Nimoy does as Spock.

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Saw it for time #5 this week. I noticed one of the Romulan pirates, during the fight on the drill, is wearing a Klingon sash, very similar to the one Worf wore for most of TNG/DS9. A souvenir of their gaol break?

7. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just saw it a second time - this time at the Imax (the very final Sydney screening, sadly). It's a fantastic film, not perfect (particularly the last half), but really good fun.

Anyway, I think I noticed a couple more, or maybe I'm drawing a long bow here :lol: :

• On one of the walls of the Enterprise there is M-113 : a refernce to planet M-113 from the first aired episode of TOS maybe?
    • One of the shuttles behind the two Spocks when they meet for the first time has 1291 written on it - Nimoy's last appearance in Trek was in TUC, which came out in December '91.
    • There is an older bridge crew member on the Enterprise - I swear he's a background guy from TNG.

8. rmkwebdesign

rmkwebdesign Commander Red Shirt

The whole ending scene is an homage. Kirk powerwalks off the turbolift, offers some lilting, jovial omments to his officers, sits down, and crosses his legs. Straight out of TOS episodes.