SPOILERS : List of the TOS references in the new movie

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Botany Bay, May 15, 2009.

1. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Spock Prime tells Kirk he has been, and always will be, his friend, on Delta Vega.

Sarek's 'I married her because I loved her' was like a riff on his 'I married her because it seemed logical' line in Journey To Babel, but this time around, he admits his feelings on the matter.

2. Bri

Bri Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Oh, I just watched Charlie X 15 minutes ago, and there is definitely a minor flirtation going on there. Spock even smiled, and after looking annoyed at her for a second, continued playing while she sang, not once, but twice! He also let her run her hands on him a little during the first take! Spock doesn't let anyone do that. :techman:

Bri :rommie:

3. Vicki

Vicki Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Will you accept a TNG reference?

Spock stands up in the hearing to face Kirk and executes the Picard Yank.

4. Duane

Duane Captain Captain

I don't think these have been mentioned. Sorry if I am wrong.

1. Young Spock says to McCoy (not a direct quote): "if you think the crew's interest would be better served by my weeping through the ships corridors..." he actually does that in "The Naked Time."

2. McCoy to Kirk: "all I've got let are my bones" cleared up the mystery of where the nickname "Bones" comes from. Many always assumed it was short for "sawbones."

3. Very clever (at least I thought the most clever reference) was Kirk saying to Old Spock "going back through time, changing history...that's cheating." Old Spock replies "a trick I learned from an old friend." New folks to Star Trek would see that as a reference to the K. Maru test in the new movie. Old-timers like me immediately thought about "City on the Edge..." or at least I think so.

4. The hyposprays hurt like heck in the new movie...Sort of an homage to the painless injections in TOS.

5. Young Spock quoting Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's "Sherlock Holmes" character... just like Nimoy did in "The Undiscovered Country."

6. McCoy has a line "a little suffering is good for the soul" when he takes the sick Kirk into sickbay when they first arrived on the Enterprise. In Star Trek II the following dialogue took place (or something like this):
    Kirk (talking to McCoy): "I thought it was you who said that a little suffering is good for the soul."
    McCoy: "I never said that."
    Kirk: "I could have sworn I've heard you say that."

5. Duane

Duane Captain Captain

In addition to the points I made above, the medal that Kirk receives at the end of the movie might be an exact replica of the medal on Kirk's dress uniform in "The Menagerie."

I can't say for sure without seeing the movie again.

6. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, the ship from TOS was NOT in this movie. :vulcan:

7. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was. The "new" version is ridiculous.

8. Steven Of Nine

Steven Of Nine Commodore Commodore

Hey, can the OP put all these in the first post by editing it?

If the edit period expires, make a new post in the thread with all the current stuff, and mark it TOS, TOS Movies, TAS, etc?

Great thread.

9. Steven Of Nine

Steven Of Nine Commodore Commodore

TOS reference, please? Not books, not biographies... actual on-screen material.

10. Duane

Duane Captain Captain

Wow! We are very different as TOS fans. When the new McCoy said that line "all I got left is my bones" I actually said "ahhhh... out loud in the cinema (the same sound you might make when seeing a cute puppy.) It is my favorite line in the movie.

Anyway, TOS never stated that "Bones" was short for "sawbones." You'll find it in books, most likely.

11. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

No. "Sawbones" was inferred by various interviews and publications, but never stated on screen.

The new version works just fine as it's well-written and immediate to the character and his situation. It reveals far more about McCoy than some old disused bit of nautical parlance.

12. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kirk calls McCoy "sawbones" in "A Piece of the Action," where he deliberately 20th Centur-izes his language. Now you can no doubt ret-con that away (after all, Kirk never says, "As you know, Leonard McCoy, I call you 'Bones' because it is short for for 'Sawbones'" and the crack TrekBBS legal team requires nothing less) but you'd be doing so in the face of some pretty strong evidence regarding authorial intent.

Any reasonable person would tell you, Sawbones it is. But reason never gets in the way of "winning" and argument on the internet. (And I like the movie.)

13. Brutal Strudel

Oh yeah: "Sawbones" is also consistent w/ the long-established idea that Kirk is a bit of a history buff.

14. Joker

Joker Vice Admiral Admiral

I suspect calling the ship Enterprise was infact a cleverly disguised reference to TOS.

15. The Squire of Gothos

The Squire of Gothos Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Went to see the film again, saw three more I hadn't spotted the first time round, forgot one of them, so all I've got are;

The lighting over Pike's face when he's in the Captain's chair, it was that classic strip just over the eyes that was so well used on the show.

When Kirk is brought into sick bay and sedated, the bed monitors his heart beat with that familiar "buh-dump" noise from the old sickbay instead of a high pitched beep like a modern monitor.

Wait! Got the third one :D The turbo lifts open and move as quickly as the plot demands. Spock goes from the engineering bay to the bridge in mere seconds when he's alone. But when Uhura comforts him in the lift after Vulcan's destruction, the door pause to allow her to catch up, then it takes its time to get to where Spock's going so she can give him a kiss :techman:

16. Ryan Thomas Riddle

I think that I've been reasonable from time to time. ;) It's hard for me to admit but I'd forgotten that bit of dialogue from "A Piece of The Action."

As a buff of the Lord Nelson era of the Royal Navy, I can certainly appreciate the origin of the term but still prefer the manner in which it was presented in the new film. However, I can split the difference. Say McCoy states "all I have is my bones" and Kirk being the history buff that he is, puts two and two together with sawbones. A double in-joke.

I still firmly feel that "all I have is my bones" conveys more character insight than "sawbones." Of course, your mileage may very.

17. Brutal Strudel

Eh, I prefer "Sabones" but the divorce origin is hardly going to make me throw my Red Vines and Mr. Pibb to the floor in disgust and storm out of the theatre.

I look at it this way: In "our" timeline, the origin was "Sawbones." In the new timeline--and in a not unbelievable case of interdimensional synchronicity--it's the divorce. Implicit in the new film is the idea that this Kirk entered the Academy years later than ours did and thus our kirk would not have met McCoy there but probably on the Enterprise or another assignment. Also, this Kirk is every bit as smart as our Kirk but I think it is safe to say he's no where near as bookish. He's not the same guy.

But yeah, middy, you have always shown yourself to be a most reasonable man. It was wrong of me to suggest otherwise. :vulcan:

:techman:

18. Ryan Thomas Riddle

No worries. :)

19. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

Has anyone mentioned the "howl" of the wind on Delta Vega?

Mentioning the "M-3110" on the frame of the transporter, I thought it to be 3+1+1+0=5, or, M-5.

20. Ryan Thomas Riddle

I caught that when the clip of that scene aired during a broadcast of LOST.