Pine modeled his Kirk after Han Solo?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Rat Boy, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

exactly KIrk had a mission of exploration and making first contact, he didn't wanna fight off space Nazi's, but he did it, so he could get back to doing what he's suposed to do, much like Han didn't want to fight the Empire he was on his way to pay off Jaba, but got cought up. I'd say Indy would be the one that sorta looks for adventure, maybe not trouble, but adventure

2. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & Somewhere..! Moderator

Han Solo and Jim Kirk meet in space.

Solo: This is Captain Han Solo of the Millenium Falcon.
    Kirk: This is...Captain...James T. Kirk...of the...Federation starship...Enterprise...
    Solo: :wtf: I've got a protocol droid you can have for free, it can give you some pointers with that speech impediment.

Millennium Falcon jumps to hyperspace at ludicrous speed.

3. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

My point is one was/is an archaeologist, the other a Starfleet captain. Logically, the latter will be far more likely to encounter dangerous situations and combat than the former.

Kirk was right where he wanted to be--Captain of the Enterprise--no matter what the situation.

4. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, we are talking about young, twenty something Kirk, so I could see it. Assuming any of it makes it to the screen in any way other than in Pine's head.

5. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

You are correct. Kirk certainly had a more dangerous job, but I didn't see him as a daredevil fighting Mugatus and Gorn by choice. He didn't itch for that kind of action any more than Indy did. I don't think he saw that as his prime reason for being in space. It wasn't where the real joy came from in his job. (That came from the women -- well, that and the thrill of discovery.)
    Kirk certainly wanted to be where the action was. But for him it was the call of duty, which of course didn't apply to Indy.
    If anything, Indy may have more in common with Picard. But I avoid geeky Picard-Kirk comparisons like the plague.

6. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That came to my mind, too. Much as I hate that movie, I love that line.

Just so I can hear the cheerleaders howl, I'll tell you why I think this is a bad creative choice on the part of Pine: Kirk--young Kirk especially--had none of those Solo-esque qualities Pine is talking about. He was, from all accounts, a tightly wound, laser focused wunderkind who, even when he broke the rules (Kobayashi Maru), it was only after exhausting the possibilties within the framework of the rules and even then, it really didn't matter. He has little in common with a cold-blooded drug smuggler who reluctantly joins the Rebellion, the "grumpy, accidental hero" aspect.

But whatever. Maybe he can make it work. Don't really care, just bored.

7. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

*orders effigy of Pine for purposes of burning*

8. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Burning? Surely you could come up with slightly more, shall we say, interesting things to do with an effigy of Chris Pine. Or better yet, a hologram.

9. Tralah

Tralah Wasting Time Until May 2009 Fleet Captain

I could find some interesting things to do with a Pine hologram. :drool:

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why duty? Kirk was always kicking hippies out of paradise. Hell, he wasn't even affected by the spores because he liked a challenge and kicking ass more than some soporific lovey-dovey happiness.

11. zenophite

zenophite Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Interesting, but is it:

A) the Han that shot first,
    b) the Han with superhuman speed that dodged a blaster and then shot Greedo
    C) the Han with psychic ability that knew exactly when greedo would fire

hmmm....

12. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

OMG you just blew my mind man:cool: theres no hippie smiley , so I had to use that one

13. Good Will Riker

Good Will Riker Admiral

I would not be surprised if it was all of the above. :cool:

14. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Pine is completely off-base with the Kirk character. There's really no way around it.

The question, though, is whether it's the actor's fault or the writer/director.

15. Pioneer

Pioneer Captain Captain

Yes. And even if he didn't want to be a hero he certainly wanted to be in space, not somewhere else. So, we'll see.
    I'm -- just glad -- he -- isn't -- going to -- channel -- Shatner.

16. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, maybe he shouldn't do Shatner's slightly.... halting.... way-of-speaking... with the emphasis... on... the-wrong-words. Unless the pressure of a dangerous moment in the film calls for it.

But he could stand to study Kirk's hand movements and emphatic gestures.

As for Han Solo comparisons, Kirk may occasionally disobey orders but with good reasons. He certainly isn't a roguish bad boy, more a boy scout.

Maybe this thought went through Pine's head while reading the script: "You can type this shit, but you sure as hell can't say it." :p

17. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe just the reluctant (or accidental?) part. Not really going in the action/adventure hero direction as a vocation, but once thrown into it, realizing he's damn good at it and it's thrilling.
    The problem is we don't know WHY Kirk joined Starfleet. He was the stack of books on legs and a tough teacher. So does that mean he joined for the adventure? The romance? To be a swashbuckler? Those reasons do seem contradictory to what we know about Kirk at the Academy. We don't know.
    Perhaps what Kirk has in common with Solo/Indy is the reluctant hero part. Young Kirk wasn't a cold-blooded drug smuggler, but maybe he initially didn't seek the hero's chair, either. Maybe those qualities were discovered in him. Perhaps he didn't even realize himself how strong they were.
    I'd like to think that he discovered his destiny at the Academy, and maybe the choice wasn't an obvious one. A "stack of books on legs" does not seem to be the type who ends up making his career out of feats of daring.

18. Garth Rockett

Garth Rockett Commodore Commodore

Listen, kiddo, Jim Kirk is many things, but he was never a boy scout.

19. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Girl Guides it is then. ;)

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The "cheerleaders" aren't that easily baited. :cool: