New, 14-disc Ron Jones TNG soundtrack box set!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by doubleohfive, Jul 30, 2010.

1. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Indeed. This box set was worth every penny I spent, and a delight to listen to. Thank you IndySolo, Lukas, and everyone at FSM!

2. pymfan2000

pymfan2000 Lieutenant Red Shirt

This sounds like a great set!
    Unfortunately, it's a bit outside my budget right now.
    Maybe if I can find a used copy somewhere...
    still great to hear that this was released.
    Kudos to those who worked on getting this released.:techman:

3. roliver

roliver Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

4. swaaye

swaaye Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It is an unbelievable collection of music. The soundtracks of season 1-4 or so are so much a part of the character of TNG for me. I found that I could play the DVDs with the center channel muted and have just the ambient sounds and sountrack because 99% of the voice is on the center channel. When I heard that SAE was going to make a compilation of Ron Jones' work, well it was a no brainer.

I love almost all of the music here but if I had to pick one that I've always wanted to hear more of it would be Who Watches the Watchers. I've been reading through the liner notes as I go and it was great to read that Jones himself was so emotionally invested in that one. :) Though it really sounds like he gave his all to every episode.

It's hard to pick favorites though because I really enjoy all of this. It is just unbelievable that the producer(s) wanted to kill the emotion from the show's music.

I want a Dennis McCarthy Project now. :D

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  5. trekkerguy

trekkerguy Commodore Commodore

*sigh* I. Want. This.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Just listened to "The Royale," one of my favorite Jones scores. He really made that episode work (inasmuch as it worked at all).

7. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've listened to disc 1 through 10 and have sampled most of disc 11 and 12. I think that some of my favorite cues are on those discs though. The finale to Night Terrors is motion picture good. It's just epic. Rivalling "Q Who" as my favorite score in this set is "Devil's Due". It's such a fun and terrifying score at the same time. I loved that episode because the music was fantastic.

Listening to this set makes me sad though, that Jones wasn't around for the final seasons of TNG, or VOY after that. And imagine how he would've scored some of the big episodes of DS9! I think that Jay Chattaway was a worthy successor who tried to the bitter end to make Trek music sound special. It's a shame that Berman didn't let them.

8. swaaye

swaaye Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I didn't know that Berman was bitching all the way back to Farpoint. Just read in the liner notes what McCarthy got told about his soundtrack for he pilot! It's just shocking. Gut wrenching!

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/notes/box05_season4.html

9. Timo47

Timo47 Commander Red Shirt

Thank you so much for this! :bolian:

I'm ripping the CD's as I listen to them and I'm currently at disc 4 with "We'll always have Paris" playing. This really is a great set; worth every penny.

10. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

And on the final cue to "Deep Space Nine" -- the montage cue -- he had it differently; with a saxophone carrying over, but Berman axed that, too.

And of course Velton Ray Bunch had more than one one-in with the Berman-nator, as told by Bunch in a couple interviews. If any of you have the boot to the episode score of "Silent Enemy" (Enterprise), you can hear very different alternate cues for two or three scenes.

ALL the composers I can think of hired for the Trek spin-offs during Berman's reign, were known for styles and scoring that go compeltely against the grain of what he wanted. It's a miracle we got what we did, considering.

11. williamtaylor19

williamtaylor19 Cadet

This is just MORE proof that Berman (And Braga) just didn't really know what the HELL they were doing! This collection has really made me believe that I really LOVE Ron Jones' music. Every episode where I really love the music, turns out to be his! AND, with the exception of "Generations", I think that I really hate McCarthy's music!

Also, I would like to add, that there are a group of fans that have placed all of these discs out on the internet, in various places, for free download, for all the TREK
    fans to enjoy, who don't have a bunch of money in their bank accounts to pay for the
    box set. However, unfortunately, there is a couple of Trek fans, who think that this
    is violating some sort of loyalty to Trek, and they "Rat" out the websites, and the files
    are deleted, so nobody can enjoy the music. Pity that a couple of loyalists ruin the fun
    for the rest of Trek fans!

Thank God that I got my copies before the links were deleted!

William

12. tharpdevenport

So, you support illegally obtain -- in this case downloading -- material you can purchase?

Don't have the money to get it? Boo hoo. Cry me a river, babe. I got a list of CDs I want almost 390 long, including classics like "E.T." and "Superman".

It's not what freeloaders like you want, it's reality and cost.

FACT: this music would not have been released had it not been for the efforts of Lukas Kendell, and by no means whatsoever was evne HALF of it going to get bootlegged.

(you're one of those ffshrine people who still can't get over what you did, huh?)

FACT: Lukas has publically stated this took much of his life, and wallet to get done, and that it doesn't look like he will recoup the cost -- this essentially could be one of the MAIN THINGS that SINKS Film Score Monthly. You're not even thankful, are you?

FACT: you download it, he loses out on a purchase. And maybe "one day" getting it, won't pay the bills which are due NOW. You and your folk have destroyed the chance something similar would happen with other Trek scores, as the owner of Intrada Records said publically he was thinking of doing some of it, but because of the uploads of FSM's set, he decided to NOT. Congratulations -- people who feel they are entitled to get something just because their wallet is thin, for free, have killed the goose that was getting ready to lay our much requested eggs. Way to go. :wtf:

You know what? I think I'd like to see Ron Jones come here and state how he feels about this.

13. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

I don't think they're "loyalists" they're people who like to get paid for their work and those who like to see these kinds of sets in the future. By not paying for that set you've stolen from me! I worked on it and you're boasting about illegally obtaining it. You wouldn't like it if someone stole from you and then had the audacity to boast about it publicly, would you? And the "I can't afford it" argument doesn't work either. I can't afford a lot of things. Should I illegally obtain those, too?

I hope your hard drive crashes, your back ups fail and this set sells out and you're left with nothing.

Neil

14. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Nonsense. It doesn't follow that people who're downloading it illegally would have spent money on it otherwise. Like williamtaylor19 says, he doesn't have the money to purchase the set. So how does anyone loose out on a purchase?

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

So if you can't afford to buy a Ferrari, that makes it harmless to steal it?

16. tharpdevenport

Seconded.

This guy wouldn't have the balls to illegally take it (or most others that illegally download release material) if instead of downloading it, he went into a CD shop and tried walking out of the door with it, claiming the shop owners are "royalists" and he's taking it because he doesn't have the money.

There have been litteral cases where scores only got "one pass" through the tape reader, and the masters crumbled. If a bootlegger had done that, we'd have no remastered CD to listen to for some scores. There were two Bernard Herrmann title, off the top of my head this happened to; one I forget the name of, and the other is a classic: "Vertigo" (so unless new tapes pop up for that, we're screwed). I imagine some of the TOS scores are in that kind of shape. We need folks like Lukas to make these scores reality, but now -- if there was even the smallest inkling -- he won't be doing a TOS set.

Lukas/Film Score Monthly does, as not even a full 1,000 copies of the 5,000, have moved.

Why don't you ask him about that if you're so sure:
    lukas@filmscoremonthly.com

17. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Fuck you. You're supporting and benefiting th illegal download of these discs. You've stolen copies for yourself. You've robbed the producers of this box set of the money they rightly deserve for providing you with the very same music you are claiming to be so grateful for. I can't decide if you're ballsy or just plain stupid.

No. It's called protecting their interests. The person spearheading the charge on this is the same person who produced the album, and the same person who loses out of every $150 each time that torrent is shared. You are stealing money from him. You are robbing him of his livelihood. You are a a freeloading coward and a loser.

At last check, there are still several box sets to be purchased available to those who can afford it. Nobody is being prevented from enjoying this set because the torrents have been removed; outright theft of the material has been stopped, that's all. If you can't be bothered to scrounge and save for your own set, that's a problem you take up with your wallet. I've been out of work since May, yet I managed to save a few bucks every week so I could get this because it was something I was looking forward to and did not want to miss out on. No excuse you can provide will justify your blatant and insulting bragging about your cowardice here.

Remember how I said I couldn't decide if you were a ballsy or just plain stupid? I've decided. You're fucking stupid.

Also, minor point to add: It's generally a warnable offense on this message board to mention illegal downloading an filesharing, no matter how circuitous. Hopefully you'll continue your stupid trend and get yourself booted. Until then, fuck you.

18. Michael

That's not what I'm saying. I just don't see anyone making less profit because of some people downloading the set illegally. Most likely these people would not have spent money on the set otherwise.

I don't say it's right or moral or legal, because it really isn't. But I don't believe the set is selling (much) worse because of illegal downloads.

I just think it's flawed logic to assume those people who are downloading it would have bought the rest of these 5000 sets, if illegal downloads weren't possible.

19. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

This is the dumbest argument I've heard. He has it. He's enjoying it. He didn't buy it. He stole it. You're saying that's okay because he wasn't going to buy it anyway. So as Christopher said, I wasn't going to buy a Ferrari , so it's okay to steal since there's no way I can afford one (especially with thieves downloading projects I've worked on).

Neil

20. Michael

That's not at all what I'm saying.

I don't say it's "okay". I just doubt they are really making less money because of some people downloading the set. That doesn't make it right to download the sets illegally. But it doesn't make the statement that they're losing money because of it right either.