Dune [Part 3] Messiah 2027 (28, 29, 30...)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by wayoung, Apr 5, 2024.

1. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Well, I'd guess Paul and Chani have to get back together for the sake of the franchise. The box office receipts must flow. Perhaps his vision shows him that the fate of humankind will be much worse if Leto and Ghanima are never born? He must sacrifice more than himself - the book also details this. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't is the tragedy of his story. Presumably, movie Chani has headed off to join Fremen who aren't Muad'Dib true-believers. Winning all of them over could be tricky.

Commander Troi likes this.
  2. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

I’m wondering who is going to be the matchmaker to get him and Chani back together. In the book, Jessica was back on Caladan and Irulan had been ordered to kill Chani. So is Irulan going to defy the Bene Gesserit going “If I can’t make him happy, I’ll give him someone who will”? Or will Jessica be borderline evil manipulator again?

Or… will Chani get a vision of the future? Will she accept a tragic fate for the greater good of mankind?

Commander Troi likes this.
  3. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

See, this is why I think there will be a spin off of some sort following Chani's desert adventures - either a movie filling the gaps or another HBO show - that ends with her heading back to Arrakeen.

Either that or their reconciliation will be a new sub plot in Messiah.

Irulan can't defy the BG until after Messiah, or Messiah doesn't really work since she's a lynchpin of the conspiracy.

Although in the books she's just a dumb blonde useful only for being the Emperor's oldest daughter, whereas now she's Mohaims best student.

Or she's still dumb (by BG standards)and Mohaim is manipulating her by saying that

Nightowl1701 likes this.
  4. vandevere

vandevere Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wouldn't put it past Mohiam to manipulate Irulan. She was doing that to Irulan all through the book Messiah...

Nightowl1701 and Commander Troi like this.
  5. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Wasn't that Jessica in the books? :)

6. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Humble Bundles book bundle of the week is the BH&KJA dune novels. $24 CAD for 17, in Epub format. Pretty good deal if you enjoy their books. Not my cup of tea, but I know others here are fans. And unlike the Shogun bundle last week, they didn't cut the book in half and make you upgrade the bundle to get the second half:rolleyes:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/dune-universe-collection-tor-books

Smiley likes this.