Dune [Part 3] Messiah 2027 (28, 29, 30...)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by wayoung, Apr 5, 2024.

1. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Little early for this thread probably as I don't believe it's officially in pre-production yet, just confirmed that Legendary and Denis are looking at it, with Denis potentially doing it between Rendezvous with Rama and "Nuclear War", but hey, why not. This way we can openly post Part 2 spoilers, unlike the other thread.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

And so we begin another exciting journey towards a Dune movie. What obstacles will this one face delaying its release date? The first one had a pandemic, the second one the Hollywood strikes of last year. What tribulations await Dune Part 3?

3. wayoung

Denis chokes on a hard lump of cheese curd eating poutine.

The rumors of Chalamet being single handily responsible for a syphilis epidemic turn out to be true, and his untreated disease drives him mad.

Pugh retires to farm llamas.

Legendary is banned from US commerce due to its Chinese ownership.

WB increases ownership stakes of the film and, after completing it, vaults it forever.

Various apocalyptic or near apocalyptic scenarios.

Another pandemic (it's Hollywood, can't do anything too original).

4. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

What else can they do?

Ain't nobody going along with climate lockdowns.

The fake alien invasion flopped HARD.

Pandemic 2.0 is all they got.

5. wayoung

Short of people vomitting blood in the streets, Pandemic Part 2 will have as many people calling it fake as climate change does, unfortunately.

6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is a complete shock.

7. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

"Zendaya expecting first child with Tom Holland"

"Christopher Nolan takes over directing Dune: Messiah after Denis contracts food poisoning. Movie takes a turn and involves a freeway chase with themes about time. Also construction of 10 Atredies transport ships by the crew."

Commander Troi likes this.
  8. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

This feels like the end of an episode of Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me!

"If any of these come true, we'll talk about it on next week's episode of Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me!"

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even with people vomiting blood in the streets Pandemic Part 2 will still have as many people calling it fake or claiming they have the right to vomit blood wherever they want, as it's what the Founding Fathers wanted and maybe there's even a Bible passage to support it.

Daddy Todd and Commander Troi like this.
  10. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I wonder how it will go over with the audience when this film spells it out for them that Paul isn't a hero and the whole Messiah thing is ultimately a bad thing that killed billions?

You know, the message Herbert was trying to convey in Dune but didn't execute well enough?

11. fireproof78

Probably fine.

They handled Anakin well enough.

12. wayoung

I think the bigger problem will be if audiences who went to Part 2 for the spectacle are happy with Messiah being a Greek tragedy.

That genre swap is behind a big audience drop off in the books (although, personally, I love it, and think Messiah may be the better novel - I go back and forth).

"I came here for space wars with armies fighting giant worms with swords, not
    a terribly depressed Paul purposely walking a hellish path he already has been down an infinite number of times before, waiting for the agonizing death of his wife, and then trying
    and failing
    to kill himself because he's so powerless against fate that he can't even do that right

I still think Messiah is the book best suited to a film adaptation. The Syfy version was fantastic, and Newman killed the role of Muad'dib in it. I'm not down on the possibility of it being good. More, that I wonder if they'll add a lot of action to get the audience back

My biggest question is if they are going to have Chani and Paul reconcile off screen, make their reconciliation a whole new sub plot of Messiah, or if that Zendaya spin off I still suspect will happen, happens.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
    Set Harth likes this.
  13. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought the ending of the movie was very clear. My teenagers who have never read the book commented on it afterward about how there were no "heroes" in the movie and the ending was very dark.

The writing of Chani's character was also very well done and provided the perfect foil for Paul. For everything the movie altered and left out, I think that it improved on the story in many ways.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
  14. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

He meant movie 3.

15. theenglish

I got that, but I probably shouldn't have just replied directly to Anwar's post. Thanks.

16. fireproof78

Good kids. Tragedies are not just for adults or English majors.

17. Rowdy Roddy McDowall

Rowdy Roddy McDowall Commodore Rear Admiral

The bowing-out of unperpaid Jason Mamoa, with Ashton Kutchter as the next Idaho.

18. theenglish

They're smart. They were expecting something more in line with MCU stories and I didn't tell them any different before going in. They spent the car ride home debating if Paul had just been leading Chani on or if there was a point where he changed his mind and gave in to his Bene Gesserit destiny.

19. wayoung

The Chani thing is actually even worse when you think about it, and it's the opposite of giving her more agency.

Paul knows what will happen if he has a discussion with Chani about the marriage ahead of time, and he knows what will happen if he doesn't.

He chooses not to have that discussion, forcing Chani to follow the path of his visions that he chose. The path that he decided is best.

It's more manipulative and gives her less agency, because now she's just another puppet, dancing while he pulls her strings.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2024
  20. theenglish

All good points. It is one of the things that I am most curious about--how their relationship is dealt with in the third installment.