2018 Releases

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by aventinelover, Jul 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Never noticed that. :techman:

2. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

I just read the two blurbs. They are nothing alike. Nothing apart from being in English and referring to Trek. :confused:

3. Hey Missy

Hey Missy Captain Captain

It's not a straight copy-and-paste job, but they're both extremely similar in that they refer to "hostile aliens who crave strategic knowledge of the future from Spock (who is replaced by 7 of 9)"

Markonian likes this.
  4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Since the cat is apparently out of the bag . . . yes, I cannibalized HAZARD when I wrote NO TIME, replacing Spock Prime with Seven of Nine as the time-traveler from the future. In the end, I'd say TIME is about one-third HAZARD.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'd guess about the same ratio for The Face of the Unknown and Seek a Newer World. In broad strokes, I reused the majority of the central plot structure of SANW, but heavily rewritten and recontexualized, using different characters and subplots so that the causes and consequences of many key events were different. And I added a lot of new material and changed and expanded the ending quite a bit. Face is a significantly longer novel, so the stuff I reused constitutes a larger percentage of Seek than it does of Face. It was mainly the big action and worldbuilding set pieces that survived with the fewest changes. But I feel I managed to salvage nearly all the best bits.

Corran Horn, Leto_II and Markonian like this.
  6. ryan123450

Besides the ADF novel, who wrote the other one? Can we guess if they have used portions of their book in later works as well?

7. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

That would be David Mack's "More Beautiful Than Death."

Captain Kirk leads the crew of the Enterprise on a mission to Akiron, a world known for its rich dilithium deposits and isolationist government. Aboard is Spock's father, Ambassador Sarek, who is hoping to set up a trade agreement for the Federation with the planet. Pleased that the Federation has entrusted him with this mission, Kirk pledges everyone on Enterprise will grant the ambassador their full cooperation. Spock is happy to see his father and his Vulcan staff putting the destruction of their world behind them. But Sarek, however, has a secondary agenda while on board Enterprise...

8. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

If Sarek has a secondary/hidden agenda in the new series I'll reserve all jokes about David Mack reworking More Beautiful Than Death into Star Trek: Discovery (even though he wasn't involved with the script writing) for myself

borgboy likes this.
  9. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

Fascinating stuff! Thanks Christopher and Greg for the insight!

10. RonG

RonG Captain Captain

So.. any news on non-Discovery TrekLit for 2018?
    It's nearly September...

11. ryan123450

12. Oz Trekkie

Oz Trekkie Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hopefully when the contract is finally sorted they release a list of books that have been worked on while the contract situation has been finalized. With any luck there wont be a gap in releasing novels early next year.

Corran Horn likes this.
  13. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

S&S would be foolish to have authors working on books that can't be published under their current contract - if there's a few months in 2018 without releases, well, 2017 was the same way; that's just business as usual now. But if they don't get the contract, that's money down the toilet.

Idran likes this.
  14. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

If there is a delay in new Trek novels due to the contract negotiations, hopefully S&S will reprint in paperback the rest of Star Trek SCE and Star Trek The Next Generation Slings & Arrows along with the rest of the various e-novellas that have been released over the last few years.

Markonian likes this.
  15. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been wishing for a long time that Sling & Arrows would be published as a book.

16. ryan123450

I finally gave up and bought them on sale last year for like $12 total. Still not a great price but way better than they had been costing.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought they announced that the contract was either done, or almost done when they announced that the stuff from Kelvinverse movies was no longer off limits? It would be weird to make announcement like that if there was still any question about whether or not they'd continue publishing Trek books.

18. ryan123450

I'm assuming we could hear new book announcements literally at any moment. The longer we hear nothing, the more I figure there will be a gap in the early part of 2018.

19. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The last three New Frontier stories were E-Book only right? The last three DTI stories, the DS9 Ferengi stories. There's enough stuff to make atleast a few thick paperbacks out of.

Vnix likes this.
  20. ryan123450

I think after so many years of them never rereleasing ebooks as paperbacks we have to acknowledge that either the current editors just aren't interested in ever doing that, or it's not financially worth the effort in today's marketplace.

Markonian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.