“Defying Gravity" 13-episode ABC sci-fi astronaut space series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by jefferiestubes8, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Re: “Defying Gravity" 13-episode ABC sci-fi astronaut space series

^Yeah, but the point is, it's more plausible than postulating that they've managed to invent some magical way of generating actual gravity from plates in the floor, which is the usual SFTV dodge. And at least it shows a little imagination, since it's an idea that hasn't been used anywhere before as far as I know.

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^true I guess. I think I just have a problem with bad physics more than imaginary physics.

3. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

With their method of generating gravity does it counteract the bad health effects of weightlessness? Like bone loss, weakening muscles, etc.? I missed the first ep.

4. Christopher

It wasn't mentioned. It was basically just a quick handwave to rationalize having the actors walk around normally.

5. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If the muscle and bone loss is related to not working, then the clothes exerting pressure on the body should counteract those effects. I could even justify hair not flying around by the use of the same nanotechnology in the shampoo. The question is how do they drink liquids and eat food.

Of course we all know the reason why they did this instead of rotating the ship or an artificial gravity field. This way they can justify zero g sex wherever/whenever they want.

6. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

Re: ?Defying Gravity" 13-episode ABC sci-fi astronaut space series

What a bizarre mish-mash of genres this is so far. And none of them work. If they'd stick more to the science and science fiction aspects, it could be passable. But the pilot left me thinking: "what a waste of talent and art direction."

So, I guess this is the story of HAL's son ... now named BETA ...

--Ted

P.S. I loved the journal entry where Ron Livingston tossed the ball up and it doesn't float away. I'm assuming he was in a part of the Antares where there's artificial gravity.

7. Tomato

Tomato Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My guess is that it should. as long as your are experience a G of gravitational forces that should reverse everything.

I figure in the later episodes we'll have them in nice tight Lululemon pants exercising around.

8. Christopher

Re: ?Defying Gravity" 13-episode ABC sci-fi astronaut space series

There are two rotating arms with modules at their endpoints; these appear to be the crew quarters. (Recall the references to the rotator arms creaking.) So those sections have genuine centrifugal gravity, while the rest of the ship relies on the magnetic thingies.

Note that if he had been in a rotating module, however, the baseball wouldn't have followed a normal up-and-down trajectory, but would've drifted sideways from the Coriolis effect.

Note also that since most sex scenes would presumably be in private quarters, they won't have to spend money on effects work to simulate freefall sex most of the time.

9. USS Kongo

USS Kongo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Whoops, forgot this was on.

But judging from the posts here, I guess it's no loss I missed it, huh?

Sean

10. J47

J47 Commander Red Shirt

It was passable. Nothing amazing, and slightly confusing with the flashbacks, but the Beta mystery is mildly compelling. I'll probably keep watching just because there's absolutely nothing on this summer.

11. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

The spaceship looked nice, the special effects were pretty good for TV. After that it was horrible, just horrible. If these are the types of folks we pick for important space missions, we might as well not leave the planet. I'll not be watching any more of this one.

12. Christopher

Yeah, I think a show is embracing the melodrama a little too hard when the lead character punches out two people in the first hour.

13. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

non-battle based scifi

Looks like I'm not the only one.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=16936197#post16936197

14. Tomato

Tomato Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

15. Christopher

Re: non-battle based scifi

I think the ad campaign was part of the problem. Everyone's calling it "sex in space" or "Gray's Anatomy in space" (which I gather are pretty much the same thing), but the sex/relationship stuff is just one element of it; the mystery of "Beta" is clearly a major driving force of the show, and I don't think it was even hinted at in the promotions.

16. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the fact it's a space show being thrown out by ABC to fill a summer slot is why it's failing.

17. Trek4Ever

Trek4Ever Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It was better than I expected. Not a classic, bit too heavy on the melodrama and some of the science is kooky but enjoyable. I actually liked it better than Virtuality, at least this show pretty much avoided that moronic reality TV angle (whereas Paula Garcas' character is shown putting together a more believable documentary piece for children). I wonder if anyone here realizes that James Parriott, the show's creator also put out past genre efforts like Forever Knight.

18. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

I missed this, anyone know if there is a second showing scheduled, or if it is up online yet?

19. KiraDax

KiraDax Captain Captain

iTunes has it up for free for a limited time.

20. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

If you're in Canada, Space will be airing it, this Friday night, I believe (check listings).

if you're in the US, wouldn't ABC have a streaming version on its website?

Cheers

Alex