Uniform Confirmation from Trekmovie.com

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Jon1701, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Trekmovie has confirmation of what type of uniforms they will be wearing. I'd pretty much guessed that's what they would wear anyway (after what James Cawley said)

http://trekmovie.com/2008/07/31/star-trek-movie-uniform-spoilers/

:techman:

Post your encouraging noises/incoherent rants about how abrams hates trek* here. All looks good to me so far.

*delete where applicable.

2. Surak

Surak Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I still say they should have gone exact, but what do I know. :lol:

3. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmm. I'm surprised by the lack of a collar, and the pin instead of a patch. However, whatever changes made don't seem to look bad to me so far. So cool.

4. Surak

I am really wondering about the Starfleet Academy uniform....I wonder if it will be like Finnigan's (i.e. silver in color)?

5. Dale

Dale Vice Admiral Admiral

I am imagning thousands of fan costumers trying desperately to get ahold of this new fabric with subtle delta shields woven right into it.

6. AdmiralGarak

AdmiralGarak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The spy photos have shown us a red jumpsuit uniform that is possibly the academy uniform.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I find myself wishing they'd stick to the command color as it was *supposed* to be - GREEN.

(the command uniform color in TOS was always green; it just looked goldish because of the studio lighting and the material of which the uniforms were made. It was only the dress uniform that actually *looked* as green as it was.)

8. Surak

^ Kirk's wraparound uniforms looked green as well.

9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

There are all sorts of reasons things looked a different color on screen than what they actually were. In fact, many allowances were made for this, so that what appeared on-screen was the desired color; I remember that the Fender Guitar Company made instruments in what they called "television white" (actually a sort of dull yellow-cream color which looked white on camera) because real white fucked up the TV cameras of that era and created a "glare" effect which washed out the rest of the picture. There are many other examples of such allowances and adjustments in color in television and movies (even in Black & White.)

Hence, what we saw on screen is what color something "really" was, not how it appeared before having been put through the video process. The end result is what counted. Wishing otherwise is a somewhat futile exercise.

10. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

11. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^ Except the black tee-shirts in those screen shots really were just undershirts. The black collar was part of the colored overshirt as is obvious in pretty much any closeup shot, not to mention the numerous occasions when Kirk got his shirt ripped or slashed to reveal no undershirt, yet he still had the black collar.

12. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I'm encouraged by the fact that the unis will be this close to the original design. If we are to believe this is the same continuity, then sticking to the same look (or close to it) is crucial.

I am so psyched for this movie. I want it now!

:lol:

13. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    It appears that the uniforms will look fairly close to the original ones. The only question that remains is whether Kirk's shirt is the only one that keeps ripping. (I've sometimes wondered what Kirk ever did to the computer, that it kept replicating such shoddily-made uniforms for him)

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not at all. The uniform tops had black knit collars, and were intended to. They simply followed on from the same-color ribbed collars used in the first two pilots.

McCoy had a medical tunic under which a black turtleneck was worn. This was a one-off, different from all the non-medical uniforms.

The fact that characters sometimes wore black teeshirts in scenes where they weren't wearing their uniform tunics in no way implies that the teeshirts were "supposed to be" the collars of the tunics. This is pretty easily demonstrated where James "Oops-My Uniform Is Torn Again" Kirk is concerned - for example, when Spock slices through the front of his (one-layer) tunic in "Amok Time" or when he opens the collar of his uniform in "The Paradise Syndrome" or when he walks around shirtless early in "The Corbomite Manuever" with his (again, one-piece) tunic draped over his neck.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

AdmiralGarak:
    There were jumpsuit-style uniforms worn all the time on TOS, they had the same color scheme as the regular uniforms. Presumably crew members would wear them when doing repair work or something similar. So that's what the spy photos you saw, might have been.

16. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

Sweet! They really do look just like the TOS uniforms...except with much higher resolution and logical addition of elements.

I think making the black collar a different element will help make the shirts look less like costumes and more like uniforms.

17. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Kirk talked several of its cousins into complete shutdown, (including the one which ran the Kobayashi Maru simulation at the Academy) for which the Enterprise computer never forgave him.

18. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    That must be why the computer gave Kirk a shirt that had "KIRK IS A JERK" printed on the back of it in the Animated Series episode "The Practical Joker." :guffaw:

19. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Yup. If it gets through countless screen tests, and makes it to air...FOR THREE SEASONS, then the intended color was always supposed to be yellow.

If they wanted it to be green, it would've been green. We saw plenty of green in the show, so it wasn't outside of their capabilities to air that shade.

20. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gee, if they wanted the color to be piss yellow then they screwed up with the green wraparounds and dress tunics. :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.