Star Trek passings

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by keel, Oct 16, 2017.

1. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got it from one of the columns in the Best Of Trek collections, taken from whichever fanzine it was they were originally published in. James Blish described her as 14 in his adaptation, IIRC, but I read that later, and the column's information stuck better.

Alice Rawlings was described as a teenager when she was cast as Jame, perhaps in another Best Of Trek column. That also stuck with me.

2. keel

keel Commander Red Shirt

3. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Chuck Hicks also played in an episode of the original Twilight Zone called Steel. It was an episode where robots had replaced humans as boxers and he played one of the robot boxers. He is one of about 95 actors who appeared in the original Twilight Zone who have also appeared in some version of Star Trek. Rest in peace

4. Gvsualan

Gvsualan Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

RE: Eli Behar ("Dagger of the Mind") did not die in 1992, as noted several years/pages back in this thread.

Both IMDB and findagrave ID'd the dates of a completely different man by the same name, as the actor in question, citing a ridiculous 1906 birthdate. I did a bit of digging and located the obituary for the correct Eli Behar, who actually died in 1988 and was born in 1929.

I posted the obituary on the correct Eli Behar findagrave page, here: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/78820285/eli-s-behar

Now to fix his imdb page....

Grant likes this.
  5. Gvsualan

As with the above, I also located Bart Conrad, previously mentioned as unknown. Locating him was difficult, in part, because Bart was his atage name. His real name was Allison A. Conrad and his dates were 1912 to 1981.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Bart_Conrad

Tim Thomason and Grant like this.
  6. keel

keel Commander Red Shirt

I'd sure like to know how or where you're digging for this information. I don't question you at all. I'd just like to be able to use those sources as well.

Grant likes this.
  7. Grant

See if you can use your resources to locate Tom Curtis who also appeared in court martial. He was the white haired older guy in the lounge who gave Captain Kirk the business. He would easily have to be way over a hundred if he was alive.

8. Gvsualan

I do a lot of genealogy research, so i use a lot of those tools and resources. It's especially easy when they're dead...but even common names are still a struggle when finding key facts about the person (middle name, alias, spouse, birth-day/ month/ or year) is generally an issue for a person whose career consisted of only a handful of credited/uncredited tv appearances, and no other internet presence to set them apart from other ordinary people sharing that name.

As with the case of Eli Behar, his newspaper obit is what essentially found him for me. Likewise, a few key newspaper articles on Bart Conrad pointed me to a military career and eventually a second name that eventually cracked his identity.

9. Gvsualan

Yeah, I know who he is....and I feel like I am robbing you of a certain livelihood associated with this thread, but: Thomas Dumont Curtis (22 March 1912 (NYC) - 15 May 1983 (LA))

Grant likes this.
  10. Gvsualan

Tom Curtis was only 55, but I guess looked older.

The same can be said of John Arndt, who looked a lot older than he was, whose best approximate dob I could determine was abt 1941, meaning he was only ~25 when on TOS. As best I can tell, offhand, he's still alive.

Jerry Foxworth was born abt 1943, and is seemingly alive.

I'll pick at the following as the day goes on.

Edward Madden -- seemingly alive
    Jerry Foxworth -- seemingly alive
    John Bellah -- seemingly alive
    John Arndt -- seemingly alive
    Nancy Wong -- deceased
    Mark Tobin -- seemingly alive
    Sherri Townsend -- unsure
    Jim Spencer -- unsure

Nancy Wong is an interesting case, because her name cross referenced with her ssn, comes back as "Ann Whitehead" (1932-1985)

Grant likes this.
  11. Grant

This guy is a Holy Grail because he was uncredited and he made a number of appearances in the 60s and 70s mostly uncredited and mostly with non-speaking parts he did speak in the episode "piece of the action"
    He's the only actor on the original Star Trek with a speaking part that I don't have the name of.

publiusr likes this.
  12. Grant

Wow. You are real good at this! All I do is read the obits! LOL.

13. Gvsualan

Continuing...

So Ed Madden was apparently a stage name, his real name appears to be "Edward M. McMullen" (1940-2004).

Tim Thomason likes this.
  14. Gvsualan

So.... that was her married name, her birth name, which still isn't Nancy Wong, was "Annie Sam".

15. Grant

With the now confirmed passing of Ed Madden Laurel Goodwin becomes the last surviving cast member from the original pilot the cage

16. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Alan, any info on Alice Rawlings? I was trying to look her up a few days ago, but couldn't find anything in my usual searches. I suspect she got married or was using a stage name as well.

17. Gvsualan

She is apparently alive, but I have dug in on her yet.

I did find Kathy Ahart, Khan's "Crew Woman" aka Kati, and she appeared to have died in 1971.

18. Grant

The other names that I can't find a birth or death date are....
    Rodger Holloway
    Irene Kelly
    Patrick Christian
    Lee Duncan
    Cindy Lou
    Brett Dunham
    Kirk Ramone
    Victoria George
    Tim Burns
    Mal Friedman
    James X Mitchell
    Meade Martin
    Marcia Brown
    Maurishka

I've researched all these names to no avail. But clearly some people have skills!

19. Gvsualan

I meant Alice Rawlings is apparently alive, but I have not dug in on her yet. Evidently you really much committ to your comment because there is no going back on editing.
    According to Memory Alpha that is Tony Dante: Https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Tony_Dante

Grant likes this.
  20. Grant

Crazy! I regularly check Memory Alpha for all the people who I haven't been able to find birth and or death dates for and last time I checked he wasn't there but now he is. Sad that he's gone but at least now we know who he is and he gets credit which he didn't get in the episode credits.