Would Vampires make DS9 better?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Evil Ezri, Nov 22, 2009.

1. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Lots of the others went straight for Twilight, but my first thought was that you must be a big fan of the final season of Earth: Vinyl Conflict.

2. Judas Ascendant

Judas Ascendant Commodore Commodore

The allure of the ultimate cheap date is very seductive. Just be sure that the undead party is very clear that you're not willing to put out....

3. mattyhugh

mattyhugh Commander Red Shirt

The only vampires in my Trek are of the salt variety.

4. Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson Captain Captain

5. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I like vampires as mythological creatures from the past (circa Victorian era). Generally I think they work best in period pieces, although there are exceptions like "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Blade" where they work in the context of a world more modern than that of their 19th century-ish origins, but those were exceptions to the rule.

I don't think they'd fit in the future world of Star Trek any better than creatures like mummies, Frankenstein's monster, or werewolves. The Salt Vampire in the original "Star Trek" was pretty great, though. :cool:

6. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:wtf: Is Twilight what people really first think of nowadays when one mentions vampires? :eek: :brickwall: :sigh: :(

7. Fencer

Fencer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes. If it wasn't for Twilight I doubt we'd be seeing half of the TV/Movies/books that are being made.

8. apenpaap

apenpaap Commodore Commodore

I must've been living in cave, as I hadn't heard of "Twilight" until two weeks ago. When I hear vampires, I think Christopher Lee.

9. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

We wish we could have been in the cave with you, believe me :lol:.

10. blaXXer

blaXXer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

BUT I WANT THEM SPARKLY!

I cann call one sparky.:devil:

I am, of course, kidding. Vampires in my Trek? Hell to the No!

11. Piper

Piper Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think vampires suck.

12. DevilEyes

:cardie: :wtf: :wtf: Where have you been for the last 100+ years?! I hadn't even heard about that Twilight thing until recently, but vampires have been a very popular fictional subject since the 19th century. I can't even begin to list all the films, books, TV shows (even music videos!) about vampires in the 2000s, 1990s, 1980s... hell, any decade! Zombies, werewolves, haunted houses, monsters, slashers, might have had their ups and downs, but vampires have always been a constant when it comes to popular fictional themes.

13. Fencer

Fencer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And up until recently they were on a downward leg of there popularity. A few years ago the only vampire TV show was cancelled after a single season. There now, what three or so going on? 30 days of Night hardly set the world a light with its reaction yet Twlight sequel made box office records. The number of vampire novel series is has exploded, so much so that you can't go into a book store with out tripping over a new series. They're practicably taking over the Scifi & Fantasy sections. A few years go you wouldn't have seen half of them on the shelves.

14. Traveller

Traveller Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Jake's "muse". Although one could argue that this one was more a succubus.

But we already have them pointy-eared, long-lived, highly superior beings. One of them even plays a lyre!

Not to mention their evil twins, the Dark Elves who, despite being out to kill us all, are mysterious and alluring and for some unknown reason, fascinated by humans (says Troi, I think, in the ep with the deep-frozen 20th century humans)... :whistle:

15. DevilEyes

<cultural-studies-babble>Succubi/incubi and vampires really come from the same place: they're basically a sexual metaphor/fantasy of the forbidden. Legends about vampires have always been latently or openly erotic, even when they were as glamorous as in some later versions: even in the Slavic folk tales where the concept came from, it was believed that men who become vampires can come to their wives and have sex with them, and even conceive children (such vampire children were believed to have been born with no bones in their body)! The connection between night, full moon, blood and wolves all points out to archetypes of the female (moon + blood = menstruation), emotional, irrational, erotic, sensual, 'dark' side, as opposed to reason, rules, duty - and as such, it's not surprising that the most famous vampire novel - Bram Stoker's Dracula - was written in Victorian times. A character like Count Dracula represented forbidden desires destructive to the polite Christian society. Vampire stories have a large female audience because, just like villains from Gothic novels, like Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights, like all sorts of other fictional "bad boys", vampires like Dracula - while they might seem aggressively masculine, with the sexual power they're supposed to have over women - are at the same time connected with the values traditionally associated with femaleness (mystery, sensuality, moon) because those characters are basically animus incarnate, and represent a temptation for women to be "bad girls" and give in to the forbidden passions, rejecting the values of the society. Twilight is only the latest, watered-down version of this. Female vampires and succubi are the same kind of fantasy, only in heterosexual male version.
    </cultural-studies-babble>

:rommie: Unfortunately, Trek went the opposite route with its Dark Elves than 20th century movies&TV went with the Vampires: Count Dracula went from being monstrously ugly in Murnau's Nosferatu, to being more and more seductive, sexy, romantic and matinee-idol-y in the subsequent iterations, and the big and small screen used the Vampire wet dream potential to its full extent... OTOH, Trek's Dark Elves started off as really sexy in TOS, then got uglified and de-eroticized in modern Trek. :(

Fortunately, by that time we had other dark, antagonistic aliens to lust after. :cardie:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  16. Traveller

Traveller Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Fortunately, ST XI removed the ridges, and I'm not ashamed to declare (and have already done so, numerous times on this board :rolleyes:) that I totally lust after the nuRomulans.

Totally. Gul Dukat :swoon: Though Damar wasn't that bad, either.

17. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

Well, given that it's a fad, it won't last long I don't think.

This is the rough equivalent of the uptick in pirate-related stuff that came out when PotC was at it's peak popularity.

Unless a fad is geared to young children (because there are new young children all the time) it normally doesn't last that long. Harry Potter, since it's geared toward kids, has outlasted things like PotC or The Matrix fads. But I suspect this current mania will be over in a year, tops.

In the meantime, hopefully some of the now-crazy-for-vampires crowd will get into things like BtVS, Angel, or even the Underworld movies.

We can only hope. :)

18. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey, Carl Theodor Dreyer's Vampyr finally made it onto a decent print and DVD.

I am not complaining. And Thirst was buckets of fun. Let the pretentious vampire times roll!

19. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

The Swedish masterpiece Låt den rätte komma in (Let the Right One In) is another recent movie featuring vampires.

20. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I feel stupid not for mentioning that. Yeah, that film was most excellent.