Will Sam Beckett Return Home? NBC Orders Quantum Leap Reboot Pilot

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Ryan Thomas Riddle, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

Honestly, if they did the aforementioned movie, I would be completely okay with Sam getting the two of them home, and continuing on into another leap himself.

cooleddie74 likes this.
  2. Phoenix219

Someone should fan edit a leap that goes from the founding of the federation to the beginning of NCIS New Orleans.

3. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

If they did I wouldn't mind them just ignoring the reboot and explore the idea of Sam getting to know his daughter better because she is one picked to replace Al after he has died. Only she is now old enough to have a kid of her own and maybe this leads to a spin-off were we see Sam's grandson leaping with his mom as the hologram. At some point they could maybe crossover with the reboot and find out that is happening in a alternate timeline or bubble timeline.

4. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

The show got cancelled due to lack of interest. I don't see a movie and a spin-off and a crossover happening any time soon.

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Every character Bakula has played is someone Sam leaped into. In fact Sam once leaped into Bakula. ;)

Ovation and FreezeC77 like this.
  6. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He's still leaping as seen on the It's Always Sunny episode ending :D

7. Phoenix219

And the lack of interest, in a lot of cases, is lack of advertising. Tons of people found out it even existed, by its own cancellation notice.

8. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

I love that they are so funny sometimes

9. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think that the Phillips/Newman principle establishes that.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's an interesting question, though. I could imagine the writers coming up with a story where the force controlling the leaps adopts a divide-and-conquer principle: maybe the only way to achieve the desired change is for Ben and Addison to make different changes in different times, with the Project staff coordinating between them. Although I'm not sure the Imaging Chamber can be set up for two parallel communication streams. They might have to use Janis's bootleg chamber.

11. Gingerbread Demon

Wasn't that bartender the one that pulled Sam off course in his first leap?

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, that's what Sam suspected, but the bartender told him that Sam had been subconsciously guiding his own leaps the whole time. The whole point of the finale was that Sam consciously chose to go on leaping, that it was always up to him whether he got home or not, and he chose to prioritize helping others instead.

But that's not what I'm talking about. Who or what controls the leaps is irrelevant to the question, since that's just a MacGuffin to generate the episodic format of the show. I'm saying that if they'd gotten a third season with two simultaneous leapers, there are a number of interesting things they could've done with the idea, one of which is sending Ben and Addison to different times as aspects of the same Leap.

Indeed, the original show did something similar a few times, where Sam needed to leap into different people, or the same person at different times, to pull off the goal of the Leap. This way, they could have both Leapers working the problem at once.

13. Gingerbread Demon

Oh yeah I know what you mean now I got sidetracked. That would have been pretty cool if they had been able to do that and gotten renewed. Mind you with both of them there would have also been the expected episodes of them body swapping and some humor with that. Not sure if they did that with the original show with Sam and Al.

14. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the only real instance of the show exploring different ways was probably that missile solo episode with the groundhog day 'loop leaping' as Ben leaped into the different people at that place while trying to solve the actual mystery.

I think a 'generational' leap would have been a cool thing. Like originally into the Grandparent, then Parent, then Grandchild as they try to help/put the grandchild on the correct path.

15. bdub76

bdub76 Captain Captain

I only watched the first season and half of the second. The show was never as good as the original. While the show modernized the social commentary, it wasted too much time on plot and left little room for character development like we saw with each leap in the original, where we’d spend a lot more time in the leap.

I don’t see Scott doing anything with it.

It didn’t really move the story along from the original. It hinted at it in the first half of season 1, but it dropped that story.

Gingerbread Demon likes this.
  16. Phoenix219

I do wonder what the original outline was and how much had to be rewritten when they realized they weren't getting Scott for anything. I got the impression that it didn't even cross their minds that he might refuse.

17. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Sam was only in the pilot script for a single short scene. And he was "working with" Janis, so perhaps they simply folded whatever he was to contribute into what Janis said or did in the season.

18. Phoenix219

The show should have just been Janis and Ben trying to save Sam. One of his leaps could have still been to save Addison.

19. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Why “save Sam”? Seems pretty obvious in the original Sam is happy to keep leaping.

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Ben leaps into Sam and gets him home.