Why are there no overweight or obese people in Star Trek?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by ReadyAndWilling, Dec 13, 2010.

1. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

My theroy is that there is in the Federation a race called "the Smoking," they are the under class of the Federation, everyone looks down upon them.

Just as there used to be sign that said NO Jews or No Blacks or No Wetbacks, in the 24th century there are signs that say No Smoking, it's very sad really.

They're call "the Smoking" because they're really hot looking and everyone hates them for it.

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Martia smoked a cigar in Star Trek VI, but, of course, she was a convict on a prison planet . . ..

3. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

Marko - "Do you think the Princess is beautiful?"
    Greystone - "I haven’t seen one that isn’t."
    Marko - "Do you think they kill the ugly ones?"
    Wizards & Warriors

4. Saxman1

Saxman1 Commodore Commodore

As noted above, Riker and I'd say from the time Crusher came back (season 3) forward. Worf was chunky during his time on DS9. There are many examples.

5. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

scotty, kirk and riker all ended up at various levels of fatness.

6. Saxman1

I wonder if that's why reboot Scotty was griping about food in the last movie, as a nod to his possible future chunkiness?

The Shat's weight went up and down throughout the film series (he was somewhat slimmer in The Final Frontier than The Voyage Home). In the outdoor sequences at the end of Generations, I think he looked somewhat thinner than he did in The Undiscovered Country, where his gut beat him off the turbolift several seconds before the rest of him appeared! :guffaw:

He was HUGE in Boston Legal, but brilliant throughout. Spader ballooned up tremendously throughout the life of that show. But hell, it's all good! The Shat rules! :techman:

7. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

maybe the generations stunt-shat was a bit thinner?

8. Saxman1

You mean they used a stunt double? :rofl:

I remember reading that in one of his last go-rounds as Kirk, the studio used CGI to somewhat slim Shatner down. Wow, can you imagine what he really looked like, because he didn't look all that great in the final films?

9. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Shatner began getting noticeably tubbier toward the end of the TOS second season. You can practically tell the production order of the last few episodes by the size of the Shatman's waistline.

He got himself slimmed down and back in shape for the third season -- not that it helped the quality of the episodes any.

10. I am Surak

I am Surak Captain Captain

That happens a lot in Hollywood. These young actors enjoy the square meals they suddenly can afford....

11. Cm. Kora'Tor

Cm. Kora'Tor Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Aboard the USS Trinity (Sovereign class) AU
    Personally, as a person who has had kids (2) and on the chunky side...I find the first post very offensive. Who said I needed looking after?
    I do not eat fast food...yuck...BTW Taco Bell sucks! (tried it once)
    I jog 2x a day and walk several times a day with my old Lab.
    Not all Obesity as you call it is just eating. It does have something to do with genetics.

:pDo any of us really fit?:p

Anywhoo, to answer the main question...
    Why are there no overweight or obese people in Star Trek?
    Because it is the military. Whether it be in space or on the ground...there are certain standards even now to enter the military. There are many (characters), like mentioned above, that have gained a few extra pounds, so what? It happens as a person gets older their metabolism slows down. :rolleyes:

And that is my 2cents...:cool:

12. Guitarded

Guitarded Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Isn't there a "no smoking" sign on the Enterprise somewhere, in at least one episode or movie?

13. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

Yes as stated in a few earlier posts, a No Smoking sign is briefly seen in the Simulator Room in TWOK

Its going to take more than a couple of hundred years for people to give up Smoking, however i'd imagine that in the "Star Trek Future", Smoking is virtually harmless

14. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

Agreed, Mike. Something is very wrong if someone thinks cooking food oneself is hard. Like everything else, it becomes much easier and faster with practice. Sure, it takes longer than putting something in the microwave and waiting for the machine to go "ping", but it's down to the individual to prioritise the importance of home-cooked food, which is infinitely better than any pre-prepared crap. Heck, the thought of replicator food makes me retch!

To keep on topic, I agree with those who said that Starfleet's military angle requires all its personnel to be in peak physical condition at all times.

15. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i think Paris said humans had stopped smoking in the 24th century. he certainly seemed put off by the woman smoking in Ex Post Facto.

similarly, the Ferengi were disgusted by it in Little Green Men.

16. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

I imagine that in the 24th century they have "synthobacco." Feels and tastes like tobacco smoke, but doesn't cause cancer or emphysema and it's non-addictive. In fact, it's actually GOOD for you!

17. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Hopefully to the people standing around the future smoker
    it doesn't still smell like you're burning a handful of dog shit.

18. Saxman1

Interesting side bar: the cigar-smoking General in that ep was played by Charles Napier, the singing "space hippie" from "The Way To Eden" (TOS). He said the only thing he didn't like about the LGM ep was as a non-smoker having to smoke the stogies for the part. He is probably best known as the leader of "The Good Old Boys" country band in The Blues Brothers.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This has got to be one of the most ignorant statements I've ever seen on these boards. And that's really saying something. :guffaw:

20. Starfury

Starfury Captain Captain

Chanukah does have apoint. Obesity is a "disease", that is in most cases preventable. 200 million people in the US are overweight, and in some states almost half of your children are considered obese. If you ask me, it's ignorant to laugh about these numbers.