What You Have To Read Before "Articles Of The Federation" and Destiny"

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Turtletrekker, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Re: What You Have To Read Before "Articles Of The Federation" and Dest

Adding the Errand of Fury trilogy means also adding the Errand of Vengence trilogy as well. Plus Christopher mentioned that he referenced The Kobayashi Maru (TOS), bringing the TOS total to 57 and the over-all total to at least 301 Pocket books publications.

Take that, Star Wars Expanded Universe! :cool::lol:

2. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

As far as references in tFB to things that aren't political minutia (but rather other minutia), the Scotty backstory for the book also draws from Michael Jan Friedman's Crossover, Gene DeWeese's Engines of Destiny, Julia Ecklar's The Kobayashi Maru, and Diane Carey's Ship of the Line. Several short stories also factor in, such as "Out of Time" (DC's 1994 TNG special), "Old Debts" (DC's 1995 TNG special), "Dorian's Diary" (SNWIII), "Ancient History" (SNWVI), "Bum Radish: Five Spins on a Turquoise Reindeer" (SNWVI), "Full Circle" (SNWVII), "Safe Harbors" (Tales of the Dominion War), and "Through the Looking Glass" (No Limits). Note however, that "Old Debts" has Scotty meeting Robin Lefler in 2371 (which is inconsistent with the NF: eXcalibur trilogy... and tFB itself!) and that "Full Circle" got a sequel in SNW09 that is inconsistent with tFB. It also references ideas originally put forth in Spectre, which is of course part of the "Shatnerverse" continuity. And "Out of Time" and "Ancient History" are mutually inconsistent.

tFB also has off-handed references to a number of other stories, usually in the form of alien species or planets. These include the Blood from the New Earth miniseries, the Azziz from "The Music Between the Notes" (in The Lives of Dax), Xaraka XII and galaxy Telpha-Z from the Gold Key comics, the Hamalki and the Deirr from Diane Duane's various novels, Mythra from Mission to Horatius, and the Withiki from the oft-referenced The Final Reflection. Among others. Other references include Dana Kramer-Rolls's Home is the Hunter, L.A. Graf's Traitor Winds, the Pellegrino/Zebrowski Dyson Sphere, Brad Ferguson's Crisis on Centaurus, the fanon technical manual Starfleet Prototype, and the Unlimited comic story "None but the Brave".

Of course, referencing the Gold Key comics is infinitely problematic. Traitor Winds ties into the various other "Lost Years" stories: The Lost Years, A Flag Full of Stars, and Recovery. Kirk's home on Crisis on Centaurus is brought up again in Time for Yesterday.

The Eugenics Wars gives a description for the Khanate's flag that is borrowed from Section 31: Abyss. It also references the Dayton Ward short story "The Aliens are Coming!" in one of the early SNW volumes. Conversely, A Time to Sow referenced a Greg Cox short story, "Bedside Matters" in The Amazing Stories.

3. DWMarch

DWMarch Captain Captain

One of the mods should pin this thread!

Awesome work guys!

4. Turtletrekker

*ahem* This is rather embarassing, and MJF, if you're out there, it was just an unfortunate oversight. You see, it would seem that I, uhm, that is to say that uhm, I forgot list the six-book Stargazer series. D'oh! :eek::scream::lol:

ETA: And while I'm at it, I should add that Gilaad Ben Zoma of the Stargazer novels appeared in one issue of DC's monthly TNG comic.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  5. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Those exist?

6. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Ben Zoma's also in one of the Tales from the Dominion War stories.

7. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

That would be What Dreams May Come written by Michael Jan Friedman and is the first story in that wonderful collection.

8. Rosalind

Rosalind TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod Admiral

and here I was thinking we should unpin some threads!

no, good idea, but there are way too many pinned thread up there, and no one read them anyway. we could however, edit this into the FAQ thread. :)

9. KRAD

Having conceived and put together that anthology and having commissioned the story from MJF, I sorta kinda knew that. ;)

(Just yanking your chain, there, Dimesdan. You can put down that hammer. No, really! Honest!)

10. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I thought I recognised the name on the front. :rommie:

Will there ever be another Tales of the Dominion War anthology, or even a set of Novellas in the form of the Mirror and Myriad Universe books as out of the Trek anthologies I've read (Tales from the Captains Table and The Sky's the limit being the others) Tales of the Dominion War is my favourite.

11. KRAD

^ Thanks! :bolian:

No plans for a second Dominion War anthology, no. I have some other ideas percolating in the back of my head, but nothing I can talk about.

Yet.

:D

12. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's no plans for a second Dominion War anthology?? But... it would have Jem'Hadar in it!! :(
    Well... War... so maybe thats for the best. :shifty:

:p

13. Turtletrekker

People read the FAQ thread? ;) Before this could happen, I would like the opportunity to clean the list up a little bit.

14. Semah

Semah Commander Red Shirt

Good enough place as any for a first post, I guess. :)

The Final Reflection
    is referred to in Strangers From The Sky as having been read by Kirk and McCoy.

The early first contact of Strangers is also mentioned in Spock's World.

Enterprise: the First Adventure
    is referenced in several other books written around the same time, notably Strangers In The Sky. (Any guesses as to which novel I just reread? :vulcan:)

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Except it's retconned; Strangers says the official first contact was with the humanoid natives of Alpha Centauri that some fans and novelists used to believe existed, but in Spock's World that was changed to the Andorians. I used to assume that was because Duane wasn't a believer in the native-Centaurian theory, but now I wonder if the change was due to notes from Roddenberry and Richard Arnold. Or maybe it was an editorial decision to reconcile things with Crisis on Centaurus, which IIRC assumed there were no native Centaurians.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So which way do the current books go, in the native Centaurian/no native Centaurian debate?

17. KRAD

^ Yes.

;) :evil:

18. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Didn't the Enterprise Relaunch come down pretty solidly on the non-native side? In Kobayashi Maru, the other pre-Federation worlds were angry at Earth for trying to get an extra vote by inducting Alpha Centauri as a full member world, instead of putting it under the umbrella of Earth.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, what I established in The Buried Age is that there are no current native sentients in the Alpha Centauri system, but there were native civilizations there in the very distant past, all wiped out by impact events and other cataclysms before they got very far. This is because a) Alpha Centauri might be a couple of billion years older than our system (though maybe not) and b) Proxima Centauri probably sends a lot of cometary debris into the inner system and keeps the bombardment rate fairly high.

There's never been any canonical indication of native Centaurian life. The concept arose in fandom as an overly literal interpretation of "Metamorphosis"'s reference to "Zefram Cochrane of Alpha Centauri," ignoring the fact that the same episode explicitly and repeatedly identified Cochrane as human. (And of course FC later made it explicit that he was an Earth human.)

20. Semah

Semah Commander Red Shirt

*nods*

I was referring to the first contact between Earth and Vulcan, as established at the time as being Earth discovering the Vulcan ship (Amity, I think it was) but that Jim and Spock remembered the earlier crash landing of a Vulcan ship on Earth, that Earth as a whole was not aware of.