The Witcher - Netflix

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by John Clark, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Paterson

Paterson Lieutenant Red Shirt

I like the main show for the most part, not super keen on the diverging from the source material, but it's not a deal breaker for me. And I also enjoyed this one, but this is just shlock, way more than the main series.

2. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Apparently it's just a taste of what the showrunners have in store for Post-Cavill Witcher. If they don't really like the source material, it begs the question of why they're even doing it at this point. If I were Netflix, I'd be unhappy to have paid for the IP, only to have showrunners who aren't into it and want to go in their down direction. If they dislike the material so much, why not create something new instead of messing around with an existing IP?

StarMan and Starbrow like this.
  3. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah. You said earlier you only know the games. The novels are nothing like what you think--and you said earlier you don't care if the series to follow the novels.

4. Owain Taggart

Well, I've changed my stance somewhat. I do feel that there needs to be a respect to the source material. It wouldn't be fair to Sapowski to completely ignore what's been set in place in favour of different vision and direction. I mean, I doubt he'd be very happy with this given how much trouble he gave CDPR for changing things before they patched things up. In a show like this, it's one thing to take liberties, but entirely another to go down a different a path that changes many of the core ideas.

And not to mention it sounds so expensive to get a hold of an IP, only to decide they want to do something different with it because they don't like the material. And this is supposedly when Netflix is trying to cut down on expenses. Sounds rather counter-productive.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
  5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Book burning? Nice!

Commander Troi likes this.
  6. theenglish

Sorry, I was responding to someone else. I am not one who believes live action needs to be faithful to every detail to the source material--but an adaptation needs to adapt, not ignore, it. The beginning of Season 2 was very much like the first Season and told its own version of the story in the books--albeit, skipping over swaths of story and focusing more on court politics to explain what is going on in the larger world. Unfortunately some of those things that were skipped over were relatively big scenes that I was looking forward to seeing on screen. By the time they were attacked on Thanned, events were quite different from how they happen in the novel. Ciri is supposed to be trapped in the desert after escaping and she is on her own -- it is there that she starts to discover the extent of her powers.

7. Owain Taggart

Bingo. I have no idea how accurate the first season is, or even the second. But as in all media, there's always some form of adaptation needed to fit the medium better. Ignoring it all though just come across as rather careless, and if the plan is to completely ignore, then they might as well just create a new property where they can create where they can do whatever they want with it.

8. theenglish

The first season actually does a good job of adapting stories from the first two collections and gets the characters where they are supposed to be for The Time of Contempt. And as I said, the second season starts off the same way but completely derails about halfway through.

9. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Screenshot 2023-01-15 at 17.25.32.png

mmmmm kay

FreezeC77, wayoung, Markonian and 5 others like this.
  10. Paterson

Not liking something because or how it deviates from source material is fine, but coming up with bullshit like this to explain that dislike is just insane.

11. Owain Taggart

Yeah, it certainly wouldn't be earning them favors. If anything that would just reinforce the perception the fanbase has about them, and that they were the wrong choice for showrunners. If they really dislike the source material so much, then just create an entirely new IP that they can mess around in. Based on what we've heard, which frankly hasn't been all that much and mostly based on hearsay, it would make me trust them less with any existing IP in the future.

12. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Let's dial back the conspiracy theory talk. Now.

wayoung and Starbrow like this.
  13. Paterson

First part of season 3 drops on Thursday.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I signed back up to Netflix on Monday so I'd have it to start this when it comes out on Thursday. I enjoyed the first two seasons and have been really looking forward to more.

15. theenglish

I read ahead in the novel series to stay ahead of this season--I am curious to see how much the story diverges from the books.

16. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Man it's been so long between seasons that i completely forgot who everybody is, why they do what they do and what's happening now and why.

Time to look up more in detail summaries because i am completely lost just after the first episode.

17. theenglish

I went back to the beginning of the series and now plan on watching the first two seasons again before starting on the third. I did that last year with Stranger Things and I also did it with Locke and Key. This will probably be my summer viewing now.

18. Jedi Marso

Jedi Marso Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Watched the first ep of S3 last night and it was pretty good. Stuff like this makes for far better D&D fare than that clownish movie that just got released.

It's hard to imagine this show without Henry Cavil in the title role. We'll see how that goes when the time comes.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched the first episode so far, and I thought it was a great start to the season. The stuff with Geralt, Yennifer, and Ciri as their family were nice, but it was obvious it wasn't going to last. I was a little disappointed they were so quick to split them up so quick, I was hoping we'd get at least a few episodes with them all together.
    I love the way they do the action scenes in this.
    I'm curious to see where they're going with Jaskier, I have to wonder if he's actually going to turn Ciri over Philippa and Radivid.

20. jbohn

jbohn Commander Red Shirt

I enjoyed the first episode too. It's funny - I read the 2 story collection books (The Last Wish, Sword of Destiny) while waiting for the new season and I'm almost all the way through Blood of Elves. Several things in this episode I had just read recently... Geralt chasing after Rience to find out who he's working for (although in this story they are in Oxenfurt and Jaskier is there along with Shani who's not in the show so far), plus the story about the Elven queen who led all the young elves to their deaths.