The Witcher - Netflix

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by John Clark, Sep 4, 2018.

1. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I admit, I haven't been following the news as much as I could have, but with them announcing a netflix series on The Witcher, I've been curious as to the casting.

Variety (and Henry Cavill) are listing that Geralt will be portrayed by Henry Cavill. I'm not sure he'd be my first choice, but I am looking forward to it non the less:)

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/henry-cavill-the-witcher-netflix-series-1202925521/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnTrcgw...mbed&utm_campaign=embed_loading_state_control

2. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He's a gamer and literally petitioned to get this role. Perhaps his passion for the project will overcome the different look.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, he wouldn't have been my first thought, but he knows the character and if you throw a white wig on him he'll probably be able to pull it off.
    Just as an FYI for people who haven't been following the news, this is going to be based on the books, not the games.

4. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hopefully. I've liked Henry Cavil in quite a few things I've seen him in so I think he'll do ok.

One of the photoshops going around was Mads Mikkleson and I could have seen him doing it. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau also seemed to be a popular choice in certain areas on the net.

5. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Morpheus 02 likes this.
  6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I think the show is going to actually be based on the books, which take place before the games IIRC, so it would make sense to cast a younger actor than the likes of Mikkelsen or Coster-Waldau. I think Cavill will do well in the role. He's certainly got the physical stature for it. Makeup and a white wig will take care of the rest.

7. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
  8. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I loved the Witcher 3, and its a real shame that the translations of the books are so bad.
    I am really currious how the show

9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

And you tell me this AFTER I've purchased them on kindle...

USS Firefly likes this.
  10. USS Firefly

Well you could have asked me first ;)

11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I've even found copies of the two unofficially translated stories.

Might as well read 'em anyway. Can't see Winds of Winter in the 'Coming soon' listings...

12. crookeddy

Yes, go on...

13. USS Firefly

:) Will be like, I have heard that the books don't have as much humor as the game.

Let us know if you find a good translation :)

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

15. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Well, sensational headline aside, Hissrich's tweet suggests her hiatus has more to do with concentrating on finishing the scripts for the series. Now, obviously, she might be trying to "save face" by lying in her tweet, but concentrating on her work is a plausible enough reason, given how distracting Social Media can be. So, yes, the Social Media shitstorm should be adressed by journalism, but disregarding Hissrich's given reason for her hiatus and jumping to conclusions seems to me to be more about clicks than actual information.

Mind you, @JD , this is not a criticism of you, but of CBR.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I can kind of see the tweet interpreted both ways. I kind of read it as the reaction being so overwhelming, that she needed to just step away to focus on the scripts.

17. crookeddy

Man, reading the comments from the creators and looking at the games, this show is going to get buried under a mountain of "SJW", "Liberal Agenda", "PC CRAP" type of posts online :-(

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It already started once the announcement came out that they were looking for non-white actress for Ciri.

19. Zod

Zod Captain Captain

I think he's a fine actor. I will just have to get over my personal thing of him not having a raspy voice. Or maybe he will? I am just glad to see this coming as a show. The games brought me to the books and I have enjoyed them.

wow 500 posts. It only took 16 years :)

20. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Even controversy aside, this series has a lot of difficulty right from the start. Apparently it's being based on the books, but the problem is that the games themselves are currently more popular and I'd even argue it's due to the popularity of Witcher 3 that we're getting this, so how do they represent it? As being more like the novels or more like the games? It's a difficult balance. If they don't use more elements from the games, people who are only familiar with that will be disappointed, but on the other hand it won't be as accurate to the books. His appearance as described in the books is apparently very different to the way we see him in the game series, and the raspy voice is wholly a game creation. To the visual medium, these are now iconic, so it will be interesting to see what kind of balance they strike, but I don't envy the producer.