The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Ya, saw it over there, looks snazzy!

2. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Really? That BoBW kitbash with marker pens for nacelles? I never heard that before.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I wonder if BBCA would pony up the money to pay for broadcasting rights of TNG-R. I guess it would depend on what kind of ratings they're currently getting for TNG in "HD." They air it often enough, so they must be decent.

4. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Well, the reason they didn't was because they didn't want to pay for a new model. I'd guess at the very least we'd have gotten a rational version of the existing Cheyenne, and at most a pretty new design.

5. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm in favour of changes, but wouldn't want that changed. A background ship - fine, a stock flyby Excelsior you've seen a dozen times - fine, but not one that is a major part of the episode (its even the name of the episode!) in bespoke footage.

It makes a certain sense to disguise a prototype vessel as an old design - draw less attention. The Romulans never did learn about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2012
  6. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Oh, most certainly CBS Distribution will replace the SD seasons with HD season packages as they are complete, and sell it into syndication, and BBC-A would love to have it as long as their current plans are still in place when they are ready.

7. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

1) it's wanted the screenwriter wanted in the first place and 2) the Cheyenne was an older ship anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2012
  8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Amazing that something so simple demonstrates what the modern tech can do.

RAMA

9. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

post redacted as poster's request

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2012
  10. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would be completely OK with it being a Cheyenne class instead of Oberth.

11. JJohnson

I like it! If that's the original intended ship, then go for it. Textures, registry, and done.

12. JJohnson

I really want to see this in HD to see if they changed it any...perhaps make it more three-dimensional so that it feels more real? Somewhat like in the ST09 or later TNG movies?

13. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I guess that it all depends on what the studio and the higher ups say but personally I think think they'd want to change a thing. With the CG Enterprise, they're obviously trying to keep to as close as possible to the original. Maybe down the line they'll go back and change things? We don't know. But for this release its obviously going to be kept as close to the original as possible.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  14. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Personally, I'd rather they leave it alone. The original shots look great, and that design just looks like an upside down Galaxy saucer with some sort of weird skiff attached. (Or is that supposed to be upside down?)

15. JJohnson

Yay for bloopers, but I would want to change the ship - if a number of people on this thread are so for "the original intent" then they should be for this being changed over to a Cheyenne class.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  16. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

The original kitbash was made by two undersides of a galaxy class model kit. I used the underside of my Mesh to make a very quick facsimile of the Cheyenne class. A finished mesh like the original would have way more details revealing how small the ship really is.

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

It's not upside down. The Cheyenne class has four nacelles, like the Constellation class.

18. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Ah, gotcha. And just to be clear, I wasn't impuning your work just expressing opinion on the design itself. :)

For me to like that design, they'd need to do away with or redesign the design of the 'underside windows'. But that's just me. :)

19. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ex Astris Scientia shows off the finalized design, which isn't as blatantly kitbash as you would think.

20. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

^^^Yeah, If I made her properly, it's probably for the best that I start over from scratch. But for the quick and dirty purposes of this mock up, I figured may as well work with what I got (and I got a half finished Galaxy mesh). :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.