The Kelvin Timeline Starship Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by HotRod, Apr 1, 2023.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

And profit.

;)

You know, it wasn't until SNW that I realized there was even a given size accepted as being the length of the TOS Enterprise.

HotRod likes this.
  2. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Personally, and with SNW and TOS existing side-by-side I feel more comfortable with this than ever, if the Kelvin kit-bashes are are in an Prime Universe context, they're the EAS/EM sizes, and if there in a Kelvin Timeline context, they're the official sizes from the production. The most important thing is if two ships are next to each other, they seem to make sense.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really though, do the sizes of the ships matter? Thematically, the Enterprise is the same if it's TOS, SNW or Kelvin. Ships shrink and grow to fit anything they need inside (see Ten Forward, Voyager's shuttlebay, SNW's engineering, 72-deck Ent-A, Kelvinprise shuttlebay and the Discovery Turbolift Funhouse) so really... they're as big as they need to be per story being told.

4. fireproof78

No, not really.

It's minutia at best, used more as a measuring stick of quality than relevance to story being told.

drt likes this.
  5. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

:lol:

saddestmoon, David cgc and Ovation like this.
  6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hey, I've changed since 2013. A bit.:lol:

saddestmoon, M'Sharak and David cgc like this.
  7. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Oh, I realize.

It just struck me as funny.

8. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

The funny thing is that measuring stick is based on design logic and consistency that don’t exist in the older works either…

fireproof78 likes this.
  9. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Plus, that whole sequence is funky anyway. Robau leaves the bridge and then we see his turbolift arriving somewhere from far above. He walks up some stairs, down a corridor, and into the shuttle which then departs from the pod at the very top of the ship. How did the lift arrive from above?

saddestmoon and HotRod like this.
  10. evilchumlee

evilchumlee Captain Captain

It's not so much the size but the look that I don't love, unless the size is just ridiculous. TOS 1701 and SNW 1701 are close enough in apparent size that I don't care. I do care that SNW 1701 just... isn't right. It looks good, but it doesn't look like NCC-1701. Or rather, it looks like it while not being it.

11. fireproof78

It's amusing to me because it comes down to what feels right, rather than appreciate the differences in an artistic approach.

saddestmoon likes this.
  12. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Curt Swan Superman, John Byrne Superman, George Perez Superman, Jim Lee Superman, etc. No two look as alike as JJ-prise, TOS, SNW, or TMP Enterprises yet each is instantly recognizable as Superman and The Enterprise. Life needn’t be anymore complicated. One can have preferences, understandably, but beyond that…

13. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

I only wish all Connie-variations were kitbashable in STO. Imagine a TOS Connie with Konnie saucer and Discoprise nacelles or such.
    Donnie.jpg E-A.jpg Connie.jpg

publiusr and cooleddie74 like this.
  14. HotRod

HotRod Commodore Commodore

To each their own. The SNW Enterprise has quickly risen in the ranks of my favourite Starships to the point that it's tied for first with the TOS Enterprise. I love pretty much everything about her and have no problem seeing her as the original Enteprise.

As much as I still love the TOS version, I cannot jump on the bandwagon of those who want the Enterprise in SNW to even more closely resemble the TOS version. It makes no sense to me when the SNW version slots in so perfectly between the NX-01 and the Refit, while still taking on a few qualities that I loved from the Kelvin.

The SNW Enterprise is my Enterprise.

15. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I quite like it too, though I personally could do with a "less bumpy" hull. :)

HotRod likes this.
  16. fireproof78

I love all 3, for different reasons. Not one new Enterprise takes away from the other.

saddestmoon, JRob94 and HotRod like this.
  17. evilchumlee

The thing is I like the SNW Enterprise. It looks great. It's an awesome looking ship.

It's just... not right. If SNW was treated as a reboot, different universe, a different ship... it's an amazing design. Looks incredible. It's just wrong for what it's supposed to be.

I truly think I would be satisfied if they went with Eaves' initial proposal, that shows up in DSC! They used the graphics for it on the screen readout.

[​IMG]

The differences are subtle, but they make all the difference. If they just used the ship they literally had in the show already, It's awesome. That ship right there is NCC-1701. I can justify that getting a few upgrades over the next few years to still fit with everything.

publiusr, Markonian and Spaceship Jo like this.
  18. HotRod

HotRod Commodore Commodore

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I actually dislike the straight pylons of the Eaves version. To me, they stick out like a sore thumb with the rest if the ship. As much as I adore the TOS Enterprise, I just think the angled ones of the Discoprise look better, especially when you put it beside the NX-01 and the Refit.
    [​IMG]

JHarper, publiusr, Markonian and 3 others like this.
  19. evilchumlee

Yeah it fits just fine. But the pylons are probably my #1 issue. They're just... wrong. I think I could probably live with the pylons though if they had tweaked the color pallet alittle bit. If the Donnie was more gray/white-ish with a bit less hull aztec'ing... i'm probably ok. The neck throws the design off a bit too, it's too short. Throws off the front profile.

20. fireproof78

It flows better than the TOS version.

TOS is best treated as its own thing, not connected, or loosely connected, to TMP and forward.

publiusr and HotRod like this.