The Edge of Midnight: Masterthread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by CanSoc, Mar 6, 2024.

1. CanSoc

CanSoc Ensign Newbie

[​IMG]
    Hello all,

I thought I'd start a thread on TrekBBS to introduce The Edge of Midnight, my ongoing fan "non-fiction" work. Some might be familiar with it through Dwight's fantastic cartography work, as detailed in this thread. For the uninitiated, The Edge of Midnight is best described as a History of the Federation Cold War, written from the perspective of an in-universe historian in the early-mid 24th century (2335-2340; post-Khitomer, but before Narendra III). It is a rather grand attempt to link the various beats, threads, interpretations and contradictions of the Federation-Klingon 'relationship' that Trekkies have seen from Errand of Mercy through to Discovery and Strange New Worlds, via the books, beta canon, FASA guides and a healthy dose of my ideas.

[​IMG]
    Beyond an exploration of the expected - Starship duels, ship design and derring-do on the final frontier - I've also been exploring the internal political life of both the Federation and the Klingon Empire. The aim is to try and make sense of how different they both feel in The Original Series to their presentation in later shows, without undermining or retconning elements - a bit of a challenge, but one I enjoy!

The work - both the main prose narrative and additional content - is hosted at https://edgeofmidnight.weebly.com/. The first book - The Business of Risk - can also be downloaded in a rather beautiful PDF here. It covers the lead-up to and impact of Star Trek: Discovery's Klingon War and the transition from the post-war period into the gruelling cold war of the 2260s.

Book two - The Arsenal of Freedom - is currently being written and uploaded as I finish chapters. It will cover the first seven years of the 2260s; the road to the Organian War and "Errand of Mercy." If you're inclined toward The Site Formerly Known As Twitter, you can follow along at @EoMProject.

There is also an audio (!) version on Spotify here, which is worryingly close to catching up with my writing!

Thank you for reading this introduction,and for (hopefully) checking out the site and the book(s)! Feel free to ask me any questions here; I'll also be using this thread to update you on any new chapters/content as it comes.
    [​IMG]

Ogrebear, CeJay, Andy3E and 3 others like this.
  2. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

For anyone wondering if you should give this a try, if you're on this board, you absolutely should. It's wonderful.

3. Ogrebear

Ogrebear Lieutenant Red Shirt

This is a superb piece of work- I really liked the Raktagino Revolution chapters giving such insight into the Empire’s inner workings.