Stuff you simply LOVED...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Bad Atom, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Spock in the cave, as a further development of his appearances in TUC and TNG, an older, more whimsical Spock, much more confortable in his own skin, for a second sad, until he figures out what's going on with his old friend, then bemused/amused in that "I know something you don't" way.

2. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

You know, I thought that was over-selling it; In my opinion "Interesting" would have been better -I was in fact waiting for it!

But then, I am a bit old-school ;)

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually the way he reacted and tilted his head, it reminded me more of Data than Spock.

It was still a cool moment though.

4. trekkiedane

:klingon: You've just ruined the scene for me

:p

It sure was!

5. anothertrekfan

anothertrekfan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I loved that this movie proved Star Trek is not dead.

6. Semah

Semah Commander Red Shirt

Where Kirk has to get Spock riled up to violence and uses essentially the same rant that he used in This Side of Paradise, when he had to get Spock riled up to violence.

7. ableone

ableone Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

"I am from the future"

Pause.

"Bullshit."

8. WarMaster1701

WarMaster1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Uhura telling Spock " No i'm assingned to Enterprise"

9. davejames

Man, I thought two times was enough, but reading this thread really makes me want to see the movie again!

A couple I liked:

-- The way the Enterprise tilted slightly to the side as it undocked from the station. Such a cool shot.

-- Hearing the classic warp engine sound as the ship tries to pull away from the black hole. Never thought I'd hear THAT sound effect again.

-- Kirk offering to save Nero at the very end, despite all he had done (and particularly to Kirk's family). Yeah it was a brief little moment, but it was still classic Captain Kirk and classic TOS.

10. davejames

"Yes, it looks like you are." :D

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Many things..the Kelvin interior was so alive and interesting. I just loved the whole scene.

The FX were terrific in almost every phase. I loved the gathering of Starfleet after the first word of help from Vulcan.

Warp effect.

The music

The end credits were the best ever.

Ok must go to the gym now

12. writergal

writergal Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

OK, I'll bite. :-)

- First and foremost, the way these characters we know and love have been reborn into a new skin. It brings a fresh sparkle to the story and not only holds a lot of promise for future movies, but I'll bet a lot of old TOS videotapes get dusted off in the coming weeks. And 'Star Trek' gets entered into the YouTube search engine. Star Trek is the new "Miraculous Invalid." Just when you thought it was a goner, it jumps up and is full of health.

- I enjoyed the comfortable friendship that McCoy and Kirk shared. It didn't involve a lot of setup but you got the feeling right away that these were two guys who liked and accepted each other unconditionally. Heck, McCoy broke the rules in a big way to get Kirk onto the Enterprise, and this is a guy who is all about practicality and fatalism (as most doctors are.) Their dialogue throughout the film suggested a relationship I hope we get to see more of. Karl Urban: he's not just Eomer anymore...

- I also loved the fluidity and color of the visuals. Every scene seemed to have the texture and depth of an oil painting. It's the kind of movie where you find youself freezing just about every frame, just to see stuff. It's gorgeous to look at.

- I loved the humor too. "STOP it!!"

- I loved how Kirk showed at the end that he was still the same compassionate, decent Kirk that exists in the TOS, when he offered Nero a chance at survival. I'm a big fan of the A&E Horatio Hornblower series, and to me that was a Hornblower moment: know your enemy, offer him decent terms, but if he refuses, his fate is on his head, not yours. Kirk's first responsibility was the safety of his crew, but he didn't just smoke Nero's butt. He offered him life first, and I thought that was pretty cool.

- The destruction of the Kelvin was pure opera. George Kirk was awesome. I especially loved the part where there aren't any sound effects, just music and those intense visuals. Pure Wagner, man...

- The salt shaker shaped like a starship. Doesn't look like it holds much salt, but damn, I want one of those.

- Finally, I really, really love how I felt when I walked out of the theater. A little giddy, a little strange, and feeling like what I had just seen was reality, and the theater parking lot was the place that didn't really exist. I haven't felt like that since I was 13, in 1977 when 'Star Wars' came out.

It was COOL. :)

PS Greetings Bad Atom, from a fellow Ohioan! :):)

13. trekkiedane

Not to nitpick, but:

"Yes, I believe you are."

14. kythe

kythe Commander Red Shirt

Everything about McCoy. He was the closest to the original character, and couldn't have been more perfect.

I loved Uhura - she comes across as confident and capable in every scene.

I loved that Kirk didn't get with Uhura in the end - she wasn't going to stoop to his level. :D

Watching the other ships jump into warp.

The new monitors on the Enterprise. It's not just flashy buttons and switches. You can actually see what they are looking at when locking onto a target in the transporter room, for instance.

Music and TOS sound effects.

15. jadasi

jadasi Cadet Newbie

Did anyone sort of get confused about this scene until later when you found out they were an item... I did and was thinking WTF would spock just study his clip board and let her on... I was then like OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH!!! i get it now... Spocky is under the thumb.... LOL :guffaw:

16. kythe

kythe Commander Red Shirt

Yes, and thankfully I'm not the only one. :D

When I was sitting in the theater, I felt stupid for not picking up on the Spock/Uhura thing sooner since there were subtle hints. Now that I have read some of the threads here, I think it was intentionally done, that we weren't supposed to realize their relationship until the end. I think it was brilliant. :)

17. Shatmandu

Shatmandu Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved that, too. Made me laugh.

Joe, laugher

18. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

Trek is alive, people. Trek is alive!!

it's what I love most about this magnificent, flawed, joyous ride of a movie.

it's brought Trek back to us. my life is hectic as hell. things aren't that great. and yet... I'm walking on air.

that simple feeling. :)

19. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Well, yeah, there's that... and... ;)

One scene that I didn't really pay much attention to immediately after the film but I've been thinking about since, is the scene where Kirk discovers that he hasn't been assigned a ship because he's still on suspension because of his smart-ass stunt in the Kobayashi Maru.

Kirk's desolation when he's standing there trying not to look like he cares, and then McCoy going back to him. It's a quiet moment in the middle of all the humour, but it's perfect.

20. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

true!!

and the way he swallowed his disappointment and smiled at McCoy and said "be safe!"

I always loved Kirk. he was Da Man. he was my hero.

but this Kirk... I don't know... this Kirk... I adore this Kirk. he seems unformed and brash and wild. but he's so very human, so very caring, so very vulnerable in a way that TOS Kirk never was. I don't know if it's the difference between Shatner and Pine. just as there's a definite difference between what Nimoy brought to Spock and what Quinto brings. but it's as if it's reversed. Quinto's Spock is less vulnerable, more together (even in anger and angst), whereas Nimoy's Spock was at his core a softie. Pine and Shatner seem to embody the opposite of that dynamic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.