Star Trek XI Burger King Happy Meal figures/ships pics

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by joneblaze, Apr 23, 2009.

1. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

The King is the most frightening company mascot I've ever seen.

2. Cakes488

Cakes488 Commodore Commodore

I'll agree that the "King" is scary....I think that's something that we all can agree on...however, I think the Spongebob commercial was pretty damn funny....the lyrics that is....

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    The Spongebob commercial was hilarious on many levels. But...yeah...I gotta agree that it shouldn't really be aimed at kids considering the booty shaking. That said, I got a chubby. That's all I cared about.:shifty:

4. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

They did remove the "booty is booty" line from what I've seen.

5. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

When I was a kid I used to use a stick as a gun.

6. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

These days, kids have to pretend their semi-automatics are fully-automatics when they go outside and play.

7. cooleddie74

In some edits, yeah. But the longer/first versions still crops up from time to time.

8. MvRojo

Yeah, I agree. I laughed out loud when I first saw it.

I just wanted to note the creepiness of the King as well. :)

9. cooleddie74

The King is the avatar and portal to all that is great and powerful. Believe in him, and you will have more meaningful lives.

And skid marks in your pants.

10. Cakes488

Cakes488 Commodore Commodore

There is a lot that shouldn't be aimed at kids...but this commerercial is really THE LEAST OF IT. I think that Family guy or those other shows are much much more inappropriate for kids....yet every kid I see is watching it...with their parents no less ! And let's talk about that "adult swim" that's on a kids cartoon network....!!!??? And the videos today -- have you seen them where the broads are barely clad...not to mention the foul lyrics -- I could go on and on (and on) .....but I'm in a good mood so I'll spare everybody :lol:

11. cooleddie74

:techman: Some good points there. I forget about the gratuitous Peter Griffin nudity.

12. MvRojo

The difference is that those are shows that parents can prevent their kids from watching if they're inclined to do so. Preventing kids from watching random commercials is a lot more difficult.

13. CaptainHawk1

CaptainHawk1 Commodore

Wrong. That ad is using sex to market a product DIRECTLY to children and it's incredibly inappropriate especially considering the context of the original song.
    Really??? Where??? And how the Hell would you know? What are you doing? Hanging out in the bushes at your neighbor's houses and looking in their windows and then taking notes? That'll get you arrested. I love when people make grand claims like "every kid I see is watching it with their parents" and people just nod their heads in agreement on cue when in reality, they have no idea what goes on in anyone's home but their own. FG has had a content disclaimer at the beginning of every episode since it aired in 1999 and has traditionally been aired in the later prime time 9:00 - 9:30 time slot (first run) and either gets a TV-MA or TV-14 rating. As much as I'm sick of FG in general it has never been been marketed toward children so I'm a little tired of BS claims like this. Simply because something is animated, doesn't mean its target audience is children. The fact is that most parents are responsible and don't expose their kids to FG and other age-inappropriate material and for the most part, the major networks have tried (although I freely admit that they often fail) to keep the content appropriate for a more mature audience clearly marked and air it during the later hours.

The problem with this ad as I see it is that the product itself is a KID'S MEAL with Sponge Bob, a character wildly popular with kids between the ages of 2 - 10 that is on a children's network (unlike Cartoon Network, but I'll get to that in a moment) and the commercial airs on that network during the middle of the morning and afternoon. IMHO, parents shouldn't have to worry about monitoring Nickelodeon, Noggin or any other children's network at 11 a.m.
    First, what part of "Adult" is lost on you? Second, Cartoon Network is not called the "Kids Cartoon Network" and has never exclusively marketed their programming toward children. Not to mention the fact that it doesn't begin until 11:00 P.M., 10:00 P.M. at the earliest. For the record, I'm not carrying a torch for Adult Swim. I watch it regularly and enjoy a lot of the programming but AS actually forced me to do something that I thought I'd never do in my life: file a complaint with the FCC over obscene content. So understand where I'm coming from. AS isn't appropriate for children on its best day, but it's irrelevant to the discussion because it's not marketed toward children.
    No argument there, but the big difference is that parents can and know to make a conscious decision to avoid MTV, VH1 and BET to limit their children's exposure. How the hell are you expected to do that for a commercial that randomly pops up on Nick Jr. during Yo Gabba Gabba or The Wonderpets?

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I still don't see what the problem is, really. So the song mentions words like "butts". Big deal! Kids joke about that all the friggin' time. It's one of the first 'bad' words they learn! A kid old enough to eat at Burger King is already going to know about this kind of stuff, they're not being corrupted by anything. Even the original song wouldn't be any harm, and certainly this almost-parody won't either.

15. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Little kids aren't going to see sexuality in that commercial. They're going to say "Haha, they have square butts!"

Compared to the Shrek movies, this commercial is pretty tame.

16. CaptainHawk1

CaptainHawk1 Commodore

It's not just the word "butts." The whole commercial sexualizes women and it's not appropriate for it's target audience... period. If you had any kids, you're perspective would be a lot different.
    Really? Like my 2.5 year old daughter who had a BK Kids Meal with Chicken Tenders and Apple Juice yesterday? You think a bunch of ass-shaking in front of her is appropriate? Well, sir, I disagree.
    And this is exactly where you're missing the point: it's simply not your decision to make. The networks and advertisers have no business intentionally exposing my young children to sexuality to pitch their product. As a parent I have a right to expect a certain level of decorum when it comes to what is shown on networks and programming specifically designed for young children.

The networks and advertisers don't get to arbitrarily decide what to expose my kids and neither do you. So the argument that "they aren't going to be corrupted" doesn't hold a whole lot of water.