Star Trek : Online is happening OFFICIAL

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Darren2001, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Anthony Sabre

Anthony Sabre Commodore Commodore

A good question not easily answered. MMOs appeal mainly to the 18-30 year old male segment. But some games like Everquest and probably WOW appeal across age and gender. When I was in EVE I was a member of a corp that had players as young as 13 and as old as their early 60s. Not sure how appealing this game will be across age groups. But I still think most people who are into Trek and MMOs are going to give it a chance. I've been talking to Trek fans who aren't even into MMOs that are looking forward to checking out this game. We'll see.

2. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

Fascinating. This seems a bit more interesting than what we'd previously seen, but it still needs a lot of refinement.

3. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Well, it's not simply a matter of age demographics. People that play MMORPGs are usually sorta geeky on some level, so chances are they'll suck up Star Trek in all its incarnations.

4. Anthony Sabre

Anthony Sabre Commodore Commodore

That's a demographic too. But basically I agree with you. I don't think TOS diehards are going to hurt this game's chances of succeeding. I think it will generate a lot of interest.

5. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

Best Trek gaming news in a while. I'm down for it. If they can just get a good template going, this game will have a long run. One thing I think would be very wise would be to include a module creation utility or utilities something akin to NWN. That way you won't have to be an uber-geek to make your own adventures for it.
    So the TOS'ers need not worry, take a look at BC and even Legacy and its likely that modders will tear into STO with great gusto, and if the developer is smart they will make it condusive to that.

6. Vonstadt

Vonstadt Captain Captain

Madison Square Garden : Let's Go Rangers!
    Well this is one 40 something TOS die hard that plays MMORPG's. The whole family does though on different games. I am eagerly looking forward to this game. I was a huge fan of DS9 and TNG, despite the latter not aging too well for me (Not a major uber political correctness fan, TNG can be a tad preachy)

However the setting Perpetual proposed and from what Im hearing from Cryptic, this seems like it will be a very fun game to play and a neat setting to rp in.

So basically a die hard TOSer simply can't wait for the 25th century to begin :devil:

7. grabmygoblin

grabmygoblin Commodore Commodore

that's disappointing. I hope more options will emerge during development.

is the Federation going to be at war with the Klingon Empire again?

8. Klondike307

Klondike307 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, I hate the idea of only having a limited number of factions to choose from.

9. Idoliside

Idoliside Commander Red Shirt

Two words: Expansion packs. Increased interest = Moolah!
    Hopefully they won't cock this up too much.

10. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

I agree. People need to understand that TOS is almost 42 years old, and those kids who grew up with TOS and swear that everything post '69 isn't Trek are increasingly inconsequential, epically when it comes to gaming.

11. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

Well it's possible the Feds and the Klingons won't be at best of terms in the near future (from their perspective).
    So a number of skirmishes might happen.

And having just the Feds and Klingons at first to choose from is enough.
    They can cover the rest with the expansions.

12. Delsaber

Delsaber Commodore Commodore

I assume Federation players will have a selection of races, too. I for one wouldn't mind rolling an Andorian.

...it would be really cool if you could defect, but that would be something the Romulans would be much more likely to encourage/engage in than the Klingons. Plenty of expansion space there.

Speaking of the Klingons, though: house allegiances. That would be pretty sweet. Even if it's only a skill training thing or something i.e. Duras players would end up better at the Trek equivalent of sneak/lockpick/backstab or whatever.

13. prince_david

prince_david Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I love the idea of a Star Trek MMO but who knows if it can really be as robust as WOW

14. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I doubt very much that it will attract the kind of numbers that WOW does, but hopefully there's enough of an audience out there to make it work. The game seems to be somewhat similar to EVE, for example, which has a good-sized base of players.

It all comes down to whether the game is fun to play. If it is, it will find an audience. If not, then it will probably fail despite having the Trek name attached to it.

15. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have no clue what makes WOW so popular. It's no fun to play at all. In the MMO market, people are looking for things with creative, fun gameplay. If STO can deliver that reliably and in a way that makes players and fans happy, then it'll be gold. I know Perpetual took a lot of flak for their game mechanics, so I would hope Cryptic takes a somewhat different path.

16. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sure all six of them will get over it.

17. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

The weren't in the future seen in "All Good Things." Maybe that's where they're basing the factions on. After all, according to the official site:

Emphasis mine.

18. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is the kind of thing I would like to see, also. I would love to play as a Klingon, Romulan or Cardassian ship (preferably Klingon).

19. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

One question I haven't seen answered, there was some indication that the game would be produced for consoles (360, PS3) as well as PC. Would console players be on the same system as PC players, and be able to interact, fight, etc? Very few games have that kind of crossover at the moment.

20. James Bond

James Bond Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm pretty sure it's not (in that I haven't heard anything, but I might be wrong). If that is the case, however, that would be awesome.