ST:TMP - Lost Footage from the Trench

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by alchemist, Feb 21, 2009.

1. QuasarVM

QuasarVM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If I respond, does that count as a "bump"?

:guffaw:

2. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

3. Joker

Joker Vice Admiral Admiral

Why?

It's a good thread, and people are looking forward to seeing the footage for the first time. Several questions have evolved into other discussions relating to the footage.

It's hardly a busy forum. If people do post "Are we there yet" every week or fortnight... is that gonna break the board?

4. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

I concur! The only time we should ever stop asking when it's coming is when we lose interest in it. Well, we haven't lost interest in it and we'd still like to see it!

If you're going to build up anticipation for something like this, you should at least expect folks to ask how the progress is going.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^I don't think anyone's saying we can't continue the discussion -- just that if we want to contribute a post, we should have something more substantial to say than "Bump" or "Are we there yet?"

6. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

That's not the impression I got from his reply.

Sounds like we're being told to not say anything unless Alchemist says does, cause ANYTHING we do in this post, even if it's about the content or about TMP will bring it up top.

7. QuasarVM

Biggles is a cool dude...

...but in this case, I don't quite get his beef either.

And now this thread has turned into the "Why can't we inquire about startrekhistory.com" thread!

The topic of conversation might have died a lot faster had Biggs not said anything at all...:lol:

Ahhh, irony can be pretty ironic sometimes...

8. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Since this is about lost footage, what type of footage would you like to find burried somewhere that was filmed in TMP?

I would LOVE to see more footage or photos of the Klingons. This movie is without a doubt the meanest and scariest portrayal of all other Klingons I've seen in all of Star Trek. The sets are perfect, Mark Lenard nails his performance and the mood is just right. I can't get enough!

9. Christopher

Footage of what Ilia's shower scene would've looked like without the G rating? :devil:

I'd love to see more footage of the Rec Room aliens -- maybe makeup test reels. Any behind-the-scenes footage of the FX production process would be great.

10. Joker

Joker Vice Admiral Admiral

Does Ilia-probe's visit to Engineering still exist?

I recall reading it was lost forever.

11. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Body stocking is still just a body stocking, regardless of ratings. I think CG would probably not be advisable in terms of painting nipples on for a new edition, might look too much like joe pesci's eyebrows in JFK.

12. QuasarVM

If anyone would know the whereabouts of that footage, I would think Alchemist would be one.

Even if the footage has survived, that doesn't mean the audio tracks did. Even Alchemist's trench spacewalk footage has no sound.

13. Christopher

Okay, I think you need a refresher on the whole "smiley" concept....

14. Joe_Atari

Joe_Atari Commander Red Shirt

Put me down for the guard being zapped by the V'ger probe. That, like the trench / memory wall stuff Alchemist is working on, probably ended up as clips available from Lincoln Enterprises since stills of the sequence have been available from the beginning. I think the trading cards were where I saw it first.

I sincerely hope at least some of the Abel and Associates test footage (16mm or otherwise) survived. Again, many stills from these tests saw the light of day on the trading cards and publicity materials (including cloud tank effects for V'ger, combined with the pre-Trumbull Enterprise miniature). This would help shed some historical light on RA&A's removal from the project; they probably wouldn't have made the release date, but were they even on the right track?

Not strictly TMP, but I want more Phase II test footage than we got on the DE DVD -- screen tests, wardrobe and set tests, etc.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  15. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

I would love to see that!

16. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

I'd like to see more behind the scenes stuff, like from the transporter horror scene and the exiting the Enterprise stuff, if any of it exits. I know the trading cards and a few other sources have images of Sonak and the other female officer standing in gruesome poses but the scene really blurs things up; granted, the point of the effect. ;)
    But when it comes to set design, those airlocks are of particular interest to me. :D

17. QuasarVM

Those poses were all that was shot. There never was anything like the inside-out creature transporter accident in Galaxy Quest...:lol:

Although, left to our imaginations, that's probably what they got back on the other side of the transporter beam.

Remember, they were going for a family friendly Trek film. They'd have never shown anything gruesome.

18. ncc-1017-e

ncc-1017-e Captain Captain

I would like to see the security guards getting zaped by the energy probe on the bridge! Ilia in engineering too. I remember seeing footage back in 1979 of the klingon battle cruisers that I have not seen since. In the footage it showed all three cruisers each firing a single torpedo instead of the lead ship firing all three torpedos! I no this sound crazy but I know what I saw.

19. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

Well, I was talking about behind-the-scenes not some fully realized, gruesome, insides-out-gore-athon. I guess I should have elaborated that I would like to see more of the shot scene or unused takes without the overlying special effects. Really, just to see how it was done. Just a pipe dream really.

20. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Ooooo! Me want to see! :klingon: