Spock's comment at the end of 'The Enemy Within'

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Destructor, Jan 21, 2010.

1. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Remember George Carlin's line?

“I can prove to you that rape is funny. Picture Porky Pig raping Elmer Fudd.”

2. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't know from experience since I've never been a man who is being raped... but what I do know that the "it's not rape if the victim got physically aroused" (which is what the whole "a woman can't rape a man unless she's using an object" arguments boils down to) is definitely a shitty argument and deeply wrong. I shudder to think what it would be (is?) like, if that argument were to be (is?) used in court in rape cases. :scream: Unintentional/involuntary physical arousal - for a variety of reasons: physical touch, hormonal level at the time... is not uncommon with either women or men. It's not like a guy has to decide he wants to have sex and give consent before he gets an erection.

I agree that Kirk would be in less of a danger of Evil!Rand than the other way round, but that's because 1) he is physically stronger, so she would be unlikely to overpower him in a direct confrontation (unless she resorted to drugging him up, etc.), and 2) he is her superior officer, not the other way round - which all puts the balance of power in his favor.

3. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But not if you go by a beaker full of death's avatar. :drool:

4. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Of which he still has yet to reveal the source.

5. Captain Robert April

I'd be willing to lay odds that a fanfic with precisely that premise has already been written at least once.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

They'd both be much hotter without the trekkie costumes. :)

7. Captain Robert April

I suspect that's part of the sequence.

8. Brutal Strudel

One should hope.

9. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

So who says there are no lost episodes?

10. Captain Robert April

Well, I think one who knows of such an episode would have a responsibility to his fellow fans to let them in on it.

11. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Costume sites that sell risque costumes and lingerie. Try googling "sexy trekkie costume" or some such, and you should find them.

12. Captain Robert April

The costumes are standard Rubies outfits.

It's what they're doing that makes it interesting...

13. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

14. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

I trust you're familiar with what John Eaves is doing in his spare time...?

Go check the EavesDropping blog. When you aren't at work.

Timo Saloniemi

15. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know you've already been lambasted, and have somewhat apologized, but I'm just curious: where did you find the data showing that "many" women like to be attacked? I assume you read some scientific papers that have the data, based upon surveys, etc. I'd like to read the literature, as I've never heard this assertion before (and I doubt that it exists).

Doug

16. Brutal Strudel

There is ample documentation that the rape fantasy was very common for a very long time and is still far from uncommon. We can sit here and talk about how fantasy and reality are two very different things but it's a tough thing for some of us dudes to truly understand. Now I don't know about you, but I think most men have sexual fantasies that we'd love to see actually come to fruition, even if they are patently impossible or illegal. Because of that, we men have a hard time grasping the idea that (some--a lot more than a few) women fantasize about situations that would horrify them in real life.

17. Captain Robert April

Probably has something to do with the differences between how the male and female brains work.

18. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's classic Freud. Bad Kirk is Id and Ego. Good Kirk is Ego and Super Ego. Id has needs that transcend the morality ordinarily imposed by Suer Ego (not exactly a desire to rape but for all intents and purposes prepared to go that far, especially fuelled by drink) but Super Ego knows that such fantasies are wrong. I should point out that I never studied Freud...

19. Brutal Strudel

^^Not a bad bluffer's job, there--I've taught Freud in college classes and that rings true.

And the differences between how men and women have--until recently--been socialized to deal with their sexuality. The rape fantasy has the benefit of absolving the woman from having to take any responsibility for her sexual feelings.

20. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why do some many men seem to fantasize about being seduced by dangerous, deadly femme fatales? At least this is what almost every erotic thriller is based on, and there's a lot of it in SciFi, too. I find it hard to believe that many men would like in real life to have a relationship with a serial killer who is likely to kill them with an ice-stick during sex.