News Smallville complete series finally coming to blu-ray

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Commander Red Shirt

I saw some reruns of "Gilligan's Island" as a kid, but I can't say I remember that much of it. Still had a catchy theme song, though. :)

While Kirsten Dunst and Bryce Dallas Howard are both very beautiful women, I found it very funny in retrospect, that Sam Raimi cast a natural blonde for Mary Jane Watson, and a natural redhead for Gwen Stacy. As far as their characters went, I thought Mary Jane was given more respect. Gwen's main contribution to the third film just seemed to be as a target for Eddie Brock's sleazy remarks, and Peter's attempt to use her as a pawn.

Guy Gardener likes this.
  2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just finished watching Amazing Spider-Man II.

Clearly if a third was going to be made of this flick, it would have been about Peter happy with a new as yet uncast Mary Jane, and then he's haunted and stalked by the clone or clones of Gwen Stacy.

(Spider-Man comics, have been generating Gwen Stacy Clones by the bushel since the early 70s.)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
  3. Moviefan2k4

This clip is from the 16th episode of Season 10, titled "Scion". Clark is explaining a few things to his impatient genetically-cloned "brother", Conner. The look that Clark initially has on his face when Conner first sees Lois, and then both of them saying "nothing" in almost perfect unison...its just pure comedy gold. The series was notorious for moments like this. :rofl:

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

There was a clear early attempt to create a Betty/Veronica vibe with Kreuk and Brando. But it went no where fast and they gave up on it by the start of season 2.

5. Moviefan2k4

I don't get this - Aside from starring in different versions of the Superman mythos, what does Kristin Kreuk have to do with Marlon Brando?

6. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

As long as we're talking Smallville, I just ran across this great promo image I had never seen before:

[​IMG]

USS Firefly likes this.
  7. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

I don't know if I'd call it a "great" promo image, as it looks like it's for a very different kind of show. He in a black suit and black shirt with no tie, looming over her, she in a red dress lying (not sitting, lying) before him, with a bracelet that looks like a chain, one knee up in the air, and all with a red filter ...

I'll say this for the image, it probably inspired a few fan fictions.

Shamrock Holmes likes this.
  8. Shamrock Holmes

Shamrock Holmes Commodore Commodore

I was listening to Remy Zero theme tune and it made me wonder who the "singer" is supposed to be?

I mean it's pretty obvious that they are singing about/to Clark.

9. Moviefan2k4

I doubt that was intentional, at least fully. When the show started, Remy Zero had already existed as a group since 1989. "Save Me" was actually from their third album, "The Golden Hum", released the same year that Smallville premiered. The band broke up in 2003, but gave permission for the show to still use the song as its main theme. Sadly, drummer Gregory Slay passed from cystic fibrosis in 2010 - he was just forty years old. In 2020, a mostly new studio recording featuring former members Shelby and Cinjun Tate was released digitally, under the name Zero Brothers.

10. The Realist

Wow, you certainly analyzed the image in a lot more ... depth? ... than I did. I mainly just focused on the tagline ( :adore: ) and the fact that they looked purty.

11. CorporalClegg

Don't over think it.

12. Moviefan2k4

Well, given that Kristin pronounces her own last name as "crook", the only thing which came to mind was Brando's infamous controversy regarding his 1972 film Last Tango in Paris, which featured a graphic rape scene with his then-19-year-old costar, Maria Schneider. From the little I read, she was so traumatized afterward that she never forgave the picture's director, Bernardo Bertolucci. Brando himself was 48 at the time, and refused to speak with Bertolucci for the next 15 years. After reading about the movie, my main thought was "Thank you God, that I never saw it.":barf:

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned in the thread yet, but the full series has been up on Hulu for a while now.

14. CorporalClegg

What the hell does any of this have to do with Betty and Veronica?

15. Guy Gardener

You either had a typo and called Allison Mack "Brando" or you are a funny guy who is referring to Allison's criminal behaving of branding young men who want to be her sex slave IRL.

CorporalClegg likes this.
  16. Moviefan2k4

I never mentioned the Archie comics in this thread - did you?

17. CorporalClegg

Guy was talking about Riverdale. I was responding to him. And he got the joke.

18. Guy Gardener

You quote/replied to the Corporal's post about Betty vs Veronica, thinking that he was talking about Marlon Brando, when he was not.

19. The Realist

"Brando." Well, crap, I feel slow now.

20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Took me a hot minute to get it too. :)

Guy Gardener likes this.