News Smallville complete series finally coming to blu-ray

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

2. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

Saw this earlier. I'm legit thrilled. I was planning to start a series rewatch soon, so the timing is perfect.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Figures I only bought seasons 6 - 10 on blu ray a couple years ago… should have waited.

LaxScrutiny likes this.
  4. The Realist

If it makes you feel any better, everybody thought this ship had sailed a long time ago. Nobody, but nobody, thought this would happen at this late date.

I already have the seasons 6-10 Blu-rays, natch, as well as the DVDs for 1-5, but I'll double-dip with only minor angst.

LaxScrutiny likes this.
  5. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Damn. Just bought the show on dvd last year

6. danellis

danellis Captain Captain

Presumably the set with only seasons 1-4 will cost twice as much :rofl::nyah::devil:

DJE

7. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How much will it have cost them to digitally replace Alison Mack?

And more seriously; has there been any comment on whether this will be another TV release that has all it's original music replaced?

8. The Realist

I’ve seen discussion of that concern elsewhere, but apparently none of the other releases of the show (DVD, digital, streaming) had music replaced, so the assumption is this won’t either. I would probably nix the purchase if it did.

Speaking of music, there’s one episode in particular — I don’t remember the title or plot details right now, but I know it centered on dreams — where all the music (probably four or five songs) was by R.E.M. Dreams, R.E.M. — get it? I thought that was a clever touch (plus R.E.M. is one of my all-time favorite bands).

LaxScrutiny likes this.
  9. Enterprise is Great

Nice that it has cases for each season. Some people are reporting that they’re getting 2 of disk 25 and none of disk 26. I haven’t got mine yet so fingers crossed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DarKush likes this.
  10. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately, as with the streaming options, the only HD pilot available is one that was shortened for reruns, missing three minutes' worth of key scenes:
    • In one scene Clark daydreams of using his powers to win a football game, and impressing Lana.
    • During the argument Clark and Jonathan have about keeping the truck Lex bought him Jonathan mentions how Lionel cheated farmers out of their properties. “So you’re judging Lex on what his father did?” “No, Clark. I’m not. I just want you to know where the money came from that bought that truck.”
    • Lex talks about the history of the Luthor mansion - which is supposed to be his ancestral home and was "shipped over from Scotland stone by stone".
    • Before leaving the school dance at the end, Clark gets revenge on Whitney by stacking his truck on top of three others.
    • And finally before Clark daydreams of Lana coming to his loft he tells Jonathan he’s glad that he and Martha were the ones who found him. To which Jonathan replies “we didn’t find you, Clark. You found us.”
    I bought the HD pilot for streaming on Amazon last year, and the loss of that last scene particularly stung, as it's a callback to what Martha says at the beginning. The full pilot is an SD extra on the Blu-ray set, which is better than nothing, but not good enough, dang it!

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

They should redo the pilot, showing Doomsday crashing to earth as well.

12. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Out of stock sadly. Might be a UK version but that won't have a digital code.

13. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wasn't going to buy this simply because I can't really afford it ATM. But I was in Target today for some stuff. And they actually had a copy, so I couldn't not.

Glad I did. The quality of the packaging is way better than I was expecting. And they did some real magic with the first season and its poor original 35mm transfer/finish. (The digital release of the first season never looked very good.) And the cherry-picked episodes of 2-4 I sampled all look amazing. Though, the crystal clarity makes it that much harder to convince myself of 'the art not the artist' every time the blond woman shows up.

Now if you'll excuse me, apparently I need to go save someone or something.

CorporalCaptain and LaxScrutiny like this.
  14. thribs

Is the digital code iTunes or VUDU?

15. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think I have a DVD from years ago that have those scenes, it was released as a one-off. I'll have to check to be sure, but everyone is welcome to come over, we'll have some beers and nachos and enjoy.

Worst case, we have beer and nachos and watch the edited and get to chat about it. :)

16. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure the regular, full version of the pilot was just presented as the pilot in the DVD set. It wasn't until the early years were remastered in HD later on that someone got lazy and only remastered the shortened rerun version.

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

If they edited out Chloe, then Pete would be the other love interest for Clark.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    LaxScrutiny likes this.
  18. Enterprise is Great

Just VUDU.

19. thribs

VUDU is a trickier one to work in the uk but I’ll give it a go.
    Just need to wait until it’s back in stock.

20. Enterprise is Great

My set finally arrived from Amazon a few days ago unfortunately I had to return it since it was missing the digital code and I got two of disc number 25. Now I have to wait for the refund and for it to come back in stock. Hopefully I get a set with no duplicate discs. What a pain in the neck. Ugh.