Renegade Nell, Historical Fantasy Series From Happy Valley Creator on Disney+

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Apr 24, 2024.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was just curious if anyone has watched this yet? It looks interesting from the trailers and stuff, so I was thinking about checking it out once I finish Fallout.

Description from Disney+:
    England, 1705: Nell Jackson returns home from war to her family in Tottenham. Aided by plucky sprite Billy Blind, who gives her fighting superpowers, Nell takes on the local landowner's bullying son Thomas Blancheford but finds herself framed for murder. Forced on the run with her sisters Roxy and George, Nell becomes a highwaywoman. But at word of Nell's extraordinary power spreads, she attracts the attention of the sinister Earl of Poynton who is hatching a magical plot against the Queen of England. Set on a collision course with Poynton, Nell, and Bill realize that her quest for justice stretches further than she ever imagined and that in order to clear her name, Nell first has to defeat Poynton and save the country.

Trailers

Poster
    [​IMG]
    Cast
    • Louisa Harland as Nelly "Nell" Jackson, a young fugitive
    • Adrian Lester as Robert Hennessey, Earl of Poynton
    • Nick Mohammed as Billy Blind
    • Bo Bragason as Roxy Trotter, Nell's sister
    • Enyi Okoronkwo as Rasselas
    • Craig Parkinson as Sam Trotter, Nell's father
    • Florence Keen as George Trotter, Nell's sister
    • Frank Dillane as Charles Devereux, aka Isambard Tulley
    • Alice Kremelberg as Sofia Wilmot, Thomas' sister and an ambitious widow
    • Jake Dunn as Thomas Blancheford
    • Pip Torrens as Lord Blancheford
    • Jodhi May as Queen Anne
    • Iz Hesketh as Valerian
    • Joely Richardson as Lady Eularia Moggerhanger, a newspaper magnate
    • Ashna Rabheru as Polly Honeycombe

2. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Now that I'm done "Fallout" I'm going to start watching D+ stuff again starting with "Shogun" and I heard of this too.

Is it any good?

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I watched episode one and quite enjoyed it. Persuaded the wife to give it a go on the basis of the Sally Wainwright involvement (we both loved Happy Valley and Last Tango in Halifax) but so far she’s underwhelmed (not really her cuppa). Hoping to persuade her to resume it so we can watch together, but if not, I’ll watch it alone.

Louisa is SO different from her Derry Girls character, Orla; yes, I know ACTING, but she’s more like Jamie-Lee McDonnell’s bolshy Michelle (dippy Orla was very distinctive) and is very good.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched the first episode this afternoon and I really enjoyed it.
    First of all, Louisa Harland is fantastic as Nell.
    Wow, I just looked at the cast list on Wikipedia and I never would have guessed that Charles Devereux/Isambard Tulley was Nick from Fear the Walking Dead if I hadn't said that was him there.
    The story took some interesting twists and turns.
    I'm disappointed the killed off Lord Blancheford so quickly, I'm a big fan of Pip Torrens from Preacher and I was looking forward to seeing him this.
    Thomas Blacheford is a great villain so far, he's just such a complete dick that I'm gonna forward to seeing Nell kick his ass again.