Rare TOS concept art

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by TIN_MAN, Mar 20, 2010.

1. ATMachine

ATMachine Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Is it just me, or does this version of the Enterprise have a metallic bronze hull color? Very Flash Gordon.

(Or, depending on your SF tastes, very Forbidden Planet.)

So much for "this we will not do", eh? ;)

The same "proto-Enterprise" design shows up in several similar Matt Jefferies drawings, all viewable at Forgotten Trek. Interestingly, one of these is in color, and shows off the shiny bronze-hued hull.

Evidence suggests this was more or less the design that Jefferies turned into a small model, to show Roddenberry and the studio executives what their starship would look like.

David Shaw has pointed out that the early plans Jefferies made for the Enterprise filming model (then assumed to be about 540' in "real world" length) had no windows--the view ports were added only later, after the fact, onto a subsequent set of plans for a much larger ship. I wonder if, when Jefferies' early 540' windowless plans were made, the "shiny metallic hull" idea was still in place?

2. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

I did a model of this ship. He has silvery grey ones too... I kept his shapes as close as possible to the concept drawings, but added tonnes of details- windows with shutters (so the surface appears smooth when closed), RCSs, shuttle bay, and kept the rim at 1 deck. So it's a small ship. I posted it here and it's on my wordpress if you're interested. I lost the original though when we transfered computers. :(

3. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

4. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I love that look, especially with the impulse at the base of the neck. In the link to Shaws fine piece of research, we saw the blurb--"do not build this pylon."

I wonder about that...

5. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I put together a calendar of the pics to sell through my CafePress shop, so there's that.

I'm about 98% sure that they're all from Matt Jefferies, since it was his job to design the ship.

6. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]
    You know, this one reminds me a bit of the Nebula class, especially with that pod on top.
    [​IMG]
    The shape of the pod is nearly identical to the much later Nebula class's tactical pod. What are the odds?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    I think this one could make a good stealth cruiser, with it's tucked in engines. It almost looks like a cross between a sub and a flying wing. Though I think the tall bridge would need to go.

Edit: pictures should show now.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  7. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Your links go to 1x1 clear pixels, not what you were intending.