Picard's British Accent

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Ro_Laren, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Triskelion

Triskelion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've got no problem understanding accents - it's the idioms that leave me wondering! As well as word differences.

Words like "git" - in Britain, an insult, in USA, a verb you say to dogs.

I heard there was a Scottish element to Stewart's accent?

2. DizzyMan

DizzyMan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If there is, I’ve never heard it.

I do hear the Yorkshire in him though, now and again.

3. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There's the odd rhotic 'r' as well. Listen to his very first Captain's Log entry at the beginning of ...Farpoint, and the way he says Riker.

4. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I have that, too. I'm just across the Pennines from him. :guffaw:

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Stewart's a Scottish name and he did do the "If it's not Scottish, It's crap!" sketch on SNL. So you might have conflated it from that.

6. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. Picard and his family are always speaking French. The Universal Translator turns French into English for the benefit of Picard's colleagues. And the default setting is that French (and perhaps also German, Polish and Italian) gets translated into British-accented rather than Californian-accented English, to symbolically indicate the general European origins of the speaker.

Of course, since the camera that Paramount sneaked into the 24th century was also equipped with a UT that had the default settings, that's what the audience hears even when Picard and his family are together without any non-French speakers around.

Timo Saloniemi

7. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

or 4. as I said many posts ago, lots of French people speak English with an English accent because that's where they learn it. Generally, they posher they are, the more likely they are to have a flawless accent. A lot of rich kids go to school in England from all over the world.

8. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...Although 4 wouldn't explain why the family speaks in British-accented English even in the privacy of the Picard home in France. So 4 would have to fold back to 1, where the Picard family did not learn British English as a foreign language, but in fact learned it as their native language.

Timo Saloniemi

9. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Not so, if you watch a documentary (or fly on the wall or whatever) of any monied family in Europe, they generally all speak excellent English. Beyond Europe it tends to be titled people or royalty. The other, much more common occurrence, is that if there is one or more member of the family who is of another native tongue then the children grow up truly bilingual.

I should of course have mentioned the other common occurrence: ex patriate families where again the children are truly bilingual.

10. Krieg1981

Krieg1981 Commodore Commodore

Absolutely not. I remember my father commenting on it....but that was as far as that went. No one really cared!

11. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

No internet back then, no vast landscape of people sitting around at their desks bitching about things.

Though, I'm sure some UserNet forums had some helpings of bitching. ;)

12. WillsBabe

^ We still had fan clubs, though, and letterzines, that kind of thing. There were still plenty of people doing plenty of bitching. It just took us a lot longer to have conversations than it does now! :lol:

13. roguephoenix

roguephoenix Captain Captain

about as much as a british-accented betazoid, american-accented aliens, illogical vulcan. the regular stuff.

14. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, they actually speak French amongst themselves, just like aliens speak Alienese. Actors however speak English, because Americans don't like to read sub-titles.

15. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Also, many French people do not have "french accent" when they speak English, and having a British accent makes more sense than having an American accent.

16. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

PS is quoted in the TNG companion saying that they tried him with ze, 'ow you say, french accent, non? and it was crap.

17. votd

votd Commander Red Shirt

^ I suppose it's a case of taking a really good actor and then negating his talent by making him sound like a complete tit, i.e. French ;-)

18. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Bingo! We're taught by teachers who have learned English in England. We're very few with American accent (or what we think is the American accent :) )!
    And besides, Britain is not that far away!

19. Cali

Cali Admiral Admiral

I think we need more British-accented characters in Star Trek, it was great to have Patrick Stewart.

20. WillsBabe

^ I think until Picard the only British accent we'd ever heard on Trek was the guy on the Reliant (at least if memory serves it was the Reliant).