More Diamond Select Figures

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by MatthiasRussell, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Mark 2000

Mark 2000 Captain Captain

I'm pretty pissed at Diamond/Art Asylum these days. Their ship stands are horrendous and break when breathed on wrong. My 1701 and 1701-D ships are both standless at the moment because the thing's broke. I've written to Art Asylum several times, even offering money and they never respond.

I never bought their figures. They're so close to realistic that they enter the uncanny valley. I prefer Playmate's more cartoonish take.

Bad product, bad service. I could care less if they ever make any more new items.

2. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Do you folks with the stand problems constantly tweak their positions or take them off of such or some such? I tend to leave mine alone, in position and not playing with them, and I've thus far been alright.

3. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, shit - Seriously?!

I think I've got one of them in-box!

Ca-ching! Time to cash out!

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Never had a Playmates stand breakage problem. One had a ball bearing that tilted the ship forward after a few months, but some people suspend them anyway.

That's a bad thing? BTW, you realise that Art Asylum sculpted many of the later waves of 5" and 12" figures for Playmates?

5. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Many? I thought it was just those Borg Assimilation figures and the 8472?

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Nope. I was in correspondence with Manny Jesus when Art Asylum was sculpting the 5" Andorian w/serape and the 12" Ambassador Shras. Art Asylum was doing numerous figures at the time.

7. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

I only have bought a few of their figures — mostly iterations of Captain Kirk (with captain's chair, TWOK Admiral with blood splatter, in green wraparound) — and the balance is horrible, which makes it difficult to stand them properly. You have to bend the knee here, twist the foot this way to get them not to double over.

However, I love, love the Mego-style repos. But DST/Art Asylum's got Dr. Mego doing those, which is why they're so awesome. However, Captain Pike, which I have, has a bigger head-sculpt than the rest of the line and it sticks out like a sore thumb.

8. NuFan

NuFan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I hope Playmates doesn't do the sequel figures.

9. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I'm doubtful there will be sequel figures.