Life-Size Shuttlecraft Help

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Bradester, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Bradester

Bradester Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Actually, Im planning to get enough buckets to make a 12-13 foot long nacelle under each wing, so the wing rests on top of the nacelle.

2. Bradester

Well, that's a tough one for me to say. I would use at least the 1 1/4" thick PVC though. Around here at Home Depot it comes in pre-cut 2 foot long pieces and then the big 10 foot long pieces.

Pre-cut 2 foot long are about $1.50 each, or you can get a whole 10 foot piece for a little over $3. T-pieces are probably around $1.50 - $2.00 where you live. Nothing of it is very expensive, unless you start to build a life-size shuttlecraft that is trying to nickle and dime you to death :-)

3. Bradester

I decided to get the Shuttlecraft off of the ground incase it starts to get rainy and muddy, which it will. This also helps to give the illusion that you are stepping up into something, instead of just walking into an interesting looking box. Pallets are free around here, so might as well.
    [​IMG]

4. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Have you considered work as a production designer? Your knack for getting free materials would be invaluable to some producer somewhere.

5. Bradester

Hmm.... never thought of being a Production Designer before. I have thought of being a Pror Builder though where some movie house would send me a drawing of a prop, then I build the thing and mail it back to them where they would make molds from it. I think that would be a kick in the pants job.

6. Buck Rogers

Buck Rogers Captain Captain

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  7. Bradester

Hmm... is this a real product design? I dont know if PVC would be a great idea to start with. If you are up in the air and something gets off balance, Im not sure how much sheer weight and stress it could handle before snapping.

8. Buck Rogers

Buck Rogers Captain Captain

I Might switch to either carbon fiber tubes or Bicycle Aluminum tubes for strength,and lightweight,but where to get them is question here.

Buck Rogers

9. Bradester

Is there a Mod looking at this? Is it possible for me to go back and edit all my posts that include pictures, as I have moved my pics to a Photobucket account? I am exceding my monthly bandwidth from my personal ISP and they have shut my pics down and such.

Attached is how I re-enforced the floor today of the shuttle so "bigger" trick-or-treaters can enjoy the interior. Some of the wall panels were also installed along with the rest of the floor; and a little bit of a wing's panel. More pics tomorrow that really show the size of this thing.
    [​IMG]

10. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

It looks like you're making good progress.

We also have a big halloween party every year, and you've inspired me to build this:
    [​IMG]

I can't wait to see when you get done. Did you ever find out about the metal cans?

11. Bradester

Wow, a stargate! That'll be fun.

The local metal refinery mill is scrounging around for barrels and cans. I'll see what they come up with first before I worry too much of it. I still have lots of work to keep me busy for sure.

12. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Will the gate spin? And will there be a dialer nearby?

13. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What? It has to spin--it's round. Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning.

14. Tom Riley

Tom Riley Commodore Commodore

Haha, What about a blue colored sheet of something through the middle of the stargate?

Any more pics of the work on the shuttle?

15. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

Actually, that would work awesome as an entrance to a house of horror or something. Use some silver tinsel or something shimmering like it, colored lights or something with some fog. Get a recording of the noise the stargate makes when it spins and wallah. A really spooky entrance.

16. MadMan1701A

Nope, it won't spin. :)

We are going to install lights, though. I'll start up my own thread about it, when we start it up. I don't want to de-rail this one.

17. Bradester

Photo update!

Me installing the rest of the floor. This photo starts to show just how big the shuttle really is going to be.
    [​IMG]

It made me tired, and it was hot out (whine).
    [​IMG]

Zoomed out:
    [​IMG]

And yes, it is pretty sturdy inside. We are at least 6'1" tall each.
    [​IMG]

What the base for the walls look like. They are held on with self-tapping screws and fender washers.
    [​IMG]

A completed right wall. The gap at the bottom will be covered with a dryer hose and the seams in the foam are covered with Gorilla Tape. That tape is good stuff!
    [​IMG]

The right wing getting its layer of foam.
    [​IMG]

Base foam of the right wing completed. The wing was turned over and I drew a line of where to cut the excess foam from, and then cut it off with an electric carving knife (the kind you use on the Thanksgiving turkey). Gorilla Tape also covers the seams and will be used all over the shuttle. Scrap pieces of foam will be added to the wings and body to look like armor and to give a little detail.
    [​IMG]

Then it got dark, so no more pics for tonight.

18. MadMan1701A

Looks great. :)

19. Tom Riley

Tom Riley Commodore Commodore

That actually does look really nice. I'm kinda excited for it to be finished so we can see how awesome it'll be!

MadMan1701A, Post a link here once you start that thread? I don't usually stray into the TrekArt forum very often, I stumbled upon this thread by a happy accident and keep checking up on it, but I don't stop to look at any others and wouldn't know when to look for it so... :)

20. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, what will happen to this puppy once the Halloween festivities have concluded? Except for the wings that snap into those "U" shaped brackets, it doesn't appear as though the shuttle can be disassembled for storage. Will it become a permanent fixture of your property? Will you donate or sell it to another person (which begs the question about its transport)? Will you eventually destroy it, maybe with a good deal of pomp and ceremony?

Sincerely,

Bill