Life-Size Shuttlecraft Help

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Bradester, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Bradester

Bradester Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

So now the big question is, since the body is basically the same shape for all shuttles, is do I design the exterior to look like:

a) the classic Galileo
    b) the small shuttles used to escape the USS Kelvin
    c) a smaller version of the mass transport shuttles used to take people to the new Enterprise

Suggestions welcomed.

2. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

The answer to that question might depend on which Trek costumes and props -- if any -- you might have on-hand.

3. Bradester

Costumes and props aside, which kind of Shuttlecraft do you think people would enjoy seeing in real-life.

4. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

I'd go for the original Galileo. :) I'd love one of those in my backyard. :)

5. Bradester

I installed the left outter hull today. Below is a pic of the pieces attached before they were raised into place, and then them in place. Now just the "wings" and ceiling braces, and the skinning and interior can start!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

this is mad. mad and awesome.

7. Tom Riley

Tom Riley Commodore Commodore

This is amazing. I would so love to have a life size shuttlecraft model. I agree with MadMan1701A, I think it should be the interior of the classic Galileo. It's the one with the most history, it's more well known and, IMO, more of a symbol of Star Trek.

8. Bradester

Hah, thanks. I've been going back and forth in my mind on the exterior as well. I do agree that the classic Galileo might be more recognizable, but then I wonder if people who are just fans of the new movie will know what it is. I think a new mass-transport shuttle design might actually be cheaper for me to build, as the only material I can afford for classic Galileo's long engines/nacelles are cardboard concrete forming tubes which I dont think would last long in Oregon weather. New mass-transport shuttle engines could be made of large plastic round drink carriers like used at football games.

Also my nose section is shaped more like a new mass-transport shuttle than a classic, so the more I think of it the more I over-think it. I could still go back to designing it like the small shuttles that escaped the Kelvin, as that design is shaped very close to the classic Galileo? But then I run into the same cardboard issue as classic Galileo....

Im so confused and dont want to screw this up.

9. Bradester

Thanks! I believe that normal is boring, personally :-)

10. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

By the way, has anyone heard anything lately on the whereabouts of the original Galileo mockup? Last I'd heard was it was in Akron, Ohio, more or less abandoned at some industrial site which was bulldozed a year or so ago, and it's never been determined if the Galileo made it out or not.

11. Bradester

I came across it accidently on Google Images, and it said it was 90% restored. Even had pictures posted of it in various stages.

12. Captain Robert April

Not so sure those are recent pics, though.

13. Tom Riley

Tom Riley Commodore Commodore

Well the front is still shaped pretty much like the front end of the classic, but the sides aren't, they were more or less flat, they didn't have the angles to it. The only thing is that the mass transport shuttles in the new movie, to me, didn't really look that identifiable as being from Star Trek... unless I'm thinking of a different shuttle from the movie... But it's up to you. Coming in at or under budget is always an important thing to shoot for. Not to mention, artistic license, you don't have to make it look 100% exact. :)

14. Bradester

As much work that it's taking to build, I want the thing to last as long as possible. I just don't think that cardboard nacelles are a good idea. Plastic yes, but I cant afford them. The good thing is that I can be a little artsy in the design since there has only been one new movie and you know if they have multiple designs of big shuttles, that they must have multiple designs of small shuttles as well; which is why I was hoping people would take the blank template I posted and draw on and repost with design ideas.

I think Im heavily leaning towards this design. Its the Burger King toy and looks very do-able:

[​IMG]

15. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

Yeah, that should work. As long as you guys are all in Trek costumes, I think everyone should figure out what it is, easily enough.

16. DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain Commander Red Shirt

17. Captain Robert April

If you can seal 'em up good, cardboard should be a workable material for the nacelles.

As for the shuttlecraft, the guys who cleared the property don't remember the Galileo being there at the time, so there's the hope that somebody came and got it out of there beforehand, either the last owner or some alert opportunist.

You'd think somebody would've spotted the thing somewhere by now. Despite the line in "The Galileo Seven", it's the sort of thing that kind of sticks out, especially with that trailer it travels around on.

18. Bradester

Well if anyone has an idea to seal cardboard to make it totally water tight (that's also cheap), Im open for suggestions.

19. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

two coats of polyurethane?

20. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2009