Jadzia or Ezri?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by apenpaap, May 10, 2009.

?

Jadzia or Ezri?

1. Jadzia

127 vote(s)
    57.0%
  2. Ezri

96 vote(s)
    43.0%
  1. Captain MAJ

Captain MAJ Commander Red Shirt

Can't I vote Twice?

There's a Both Option missing...

I'd like to be the meat in a Dax sandwich.....:devil:

Oh Yes...

2. StJonofPDX

StJonofPDX Ensign Newbie

Ezri all the way for me.

I really did like Jadzia...some of the time. The problem w/ Jadzia was that I spent as much time hating her for being fickle, arrogant, emotionally immature (despite how everyone kept TELLING me how mature she was), and down right schizophrenic from episode to episode as I did loving her for her determination, intelligence, and seemingly genuine strength in other episodes.

A lot of the time it felt like the writers in the show couldn't pin down who they wanted her to be and fluctuated her personality wildly between different character types to suite the episode's needs. That's all well and good--she does have a form of functional multiple personality disorder after all--but I think @ some point early on the writers needed to say, "This is Jadzia, anything else going on is one of her other personalities bleeding in, but this is HER."--they never did, at least not before she was married and then she was used more as a foil for Worf (admittedly a character I found painfully boring).

Ezri, on the other hand, was certainly flawed and she had moments where even I can say she was kind of annoying; but to me she always FELT like Ezri--this scared, unprepared girl trying to live up to something she never wanted. Did her character have some holes in it? Absolutely! W/ only one season it was nowhere near as developed as Jadzia's--but in the end I felt like I understood Ezri more, despite having spent much less time w/ her.

I mean come on—all you have to do is look @ the 2 Joran episodes and you can see the difference. The writers understood who Ezri was, I think much better than they ever understood Jadzia.

3. StJonofPDX

StJonofPDX Ensign Newbie

Totally agree—more Ezri, I say!

I kind of feel like Ezri was the writing staffs do-over for the Dax character. Remember that while Terri Ferrel (sp?) rarely played her that way, Dax and Jadzia were newly joined when she came to DS9. They hadn’t had time to really acclimate to eachother. As we saw from Ezri’s experience that is no small task and even w/ the training given to Jadzia it couldn’t have been easy. But for whatever reason the writers chose tom portray her as part man-eater, part sage, and part “Scary Old Man”—possibly because of the conflicting tone of the first couple of seasons.

Ezri was a chance for them to spread there wings and describe that process in a frank, likable way that Jadzia could never have pulled off w/ her early-seasons character.

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Zee, definitely.

I don't get the complaint of how she got so much more stories, development in just one season. But to me, that seems as simple as because the writers had more fun with her.

Jadzia was just so boring; they had to keep fidgeting with her character to try and make it interesting. She was just too perfect.

I like the idea of bringing in Ezri in season six. They could have then had Jadzia pull a Spock in "Call to Arms". I think that would have satisfied her fans a bit more. "A Time to Stand" could have opened on the escape pods being picked up by The Destiny and Bashir having to do the procedure with Ezri's reluctance, etc.

Another thing they could have pulled out of the old box of tricks in have Jadzia be pregnant. So now, not only does Ezri have a symbiont she doesn't want, but a child as well. (This could have also added a major dimension to Sons and Daughters)

Plus, there's the whole angle of Sisko and Worf having to work through their grief during a major crisis.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

All great suggestions but the Trill would not have allowed Ezri to keep Jadzia's child, the child would have been raised by Jadzia's family presumably. Unless they did some BS where the in utero baby had to be transferred to Ezri to survive because of its bond with the symbiont and then blah blah blah blah special reason blah Ezri has to raise it.

6. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

^FWIW, Ezri's warmth and nurturing spirit makes me feel she'd be an excellent mother. :)

7. CorporalClegg

Actually, that would only add to the potential story lines. Because Worf would have right of custody before Jadzia's family. Trill might like it (especially with Ezri living down the hall), but that's tough shit.

Then there's the whole issue of Worf not wanting to take the kid. It would be, after all, the second time he has a child thrust upon him after a mate's death.

This could then lead to everyone persuading him to do so--the obvious potential with Alexander per Sons and Daughters as I mention before. It could be like a "You weren't there for me; be there for her." kind of thing.

Then, assuming Worf does take the kid, you have poor Ezri having to deal with the whole maternal love for it and seeing it every day, but not being able to be involved with its life.

This stuff almost writes itself. :lol:

As far as the kid, I meant to suggest that Jadzia hadn't told anyone about it including Julian (she had one of the other doctors examine her) and was planning to share the news once everyone returned to DS9. So it was a bit of a surprise and Julian had to act quick and pull a Kirayoshi. Ezri would have been the most obvious choice and Julian doesn't give a flying fetus about Trill taboo.

And with the whole Worf thing, I've actually had this scene floating around in my brain for sometime where there's some goofy Klingon ritual where you summon the "spirits" (i.e. hallucinations) of past mates for guidance. I just have this stinking suspicion that Farrell and Plakson would have fantastic chemistry and their on-screen bickering would be gold.

8. Rush Limborg

It would've been interesting to see Julian trying to comfort Ezri over all that. It would add a nice further dimension to their relationship....

9. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Holy cow, I would love to see Jadzia and K'Ehleyr onscreen together! The banter, especially about Worf's sense of humor, would be fantastic. :bolian:

But yeah, the whole child storyline... sorry, it does seem a little too Alexander-again.

10. Rush Limborg

^Not to mention, it smacks of the Kira-O'Brien-Yoshi arc....

Of course, something tells me Ezri would have had a harder time letting the child go....

11. ares93

ares93 Commodore Commodore

it would have been like an ep from days of our lives...

12. CorporalClegg

Except funny.

And I doubt anyone to ever appear on Days of Our Lives had the charisma of Jadzia or K'Ehleyr.

13. ares93

no i was aiming at the bickering and the dead people. but yes, you do have a good point.

14. Rush Limborg

Another funny idea:

Shortly after Ezri gets the Dax symbiont, we see her alone--with the other eight hosts. Think the "Multiple Jacks" sequences in the third Pirates of the Caribbean movie, meets Ghost Whisperer.

I dunno. Kinda crazy....

15. ares93

potc/ghost whisperer combination, rather creepy... i going to have nightmares about that one :lol:
    but the idea itself is quite interesting. makes me wonder why ezri never got a zhian'tarah (sp?) episode...
    although there's a fanfic about that. its quite good actually. over at fanfiction.net if i'm not mistaken. but its been a while.

16. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because 1) that had already been done with Jadzia, why would anyone want to get that repetitive and do it again?
    2) Ezri already had 3 centric episodes in season 7 and a lot more screentime than most other regulars, while there were loads of other issues and storylines to resolve?

17. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

I'm prefectly happy with the fact that she didn't get one. Six seasons of Jadzia was enough for me - didn't need her back in another episode. ;)

18. CorporalClegg