is Stargate dead for good?

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Temis the Vorta, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

In other words, he's in something more profitable and popular than Stargate has ever been, so there's no reason he'd come back to this dead franchise. :lol:

2. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

The Stargate was listed as one of MGM's top earners when they filed for chapter 11, and they've just secured 500 million dollars worth of investment for future projects. I seriously doubt they're going to let the franchise die. They'll be in talks with Brad Wright this week about how to move forward, so we should hear something soon.

3. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

You got inside scoop on that? :D

If I were MGM, I'd just start fresh. They own the brand, so they don't need to rehire anyone. I'd amp up the action and fun factor, but drop the campiness of SG-1, and create a kick-ass video game of a TV series in which the characters might crack jokes, but the series itself is dead serious.

Which isn't necessarily what I want to see done with the franchise, but from a cold-blooded business perspective, I suspect there's an unmet demand out there for a kinetic video-game space opera series where badass space marines do battle with horrifying critters. Blood & Chrome might be that series (and will probably be more interesting than anything Stargate produces).

4. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

Kinetic(expensive), video game(expensive), space(expensive) opera(expensive), space marines(expensive) horrifying critters(expensive).

I'd watch it in a heartbeat, but as a business man there would be no way I'd ever dream of financing it.

5. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Both DVD's brought in good profit because your banking on the worldwide audience unlike the TV show, where the North American market is the key to everything. MGM should do 1 more SG-1 to provide closure for that show and then a trilogy of SG-A would be nice. As for SGU well if they could wrap it up in 1 movie then that would be great but am not sure the they could...I doubt SGU is big enough to warrant DVD movies ?

At least finish off SG-1 and SG-A then let it all rest for a while.

6. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

I'd like to see a return to the Milky Way Galaxy, and the Goa'uld as the big bad. Now that they've all been dethroned, they could turn to infiltrating governments, and leading them from the shadows. And the Tok'ra could still be actively working at exposing them. I've always thought a Tok'ra centered show, featuring an Sg team that contracted some deadly disease and accepted symbiotes, would be a great way to go.

7. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

Another thought. The Stargate Program really needs to get the Julian Assange treatment.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Back to basics" is the approach that studios seem to like when these things are running out of steam. Expect to see gun-toting dudes in khaki.

9. Temis the Vorta

Well let's see how good Blood & Chrome looks on a Skiffy budget. I'm expecting a decent-looking, high-octane series (otherwise they might as well not bother).

10. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

What series all Blood And Chrome is so far is a pilot, it's not been brought as a series yet.

11. Temis the Vorta

I'm sure the budgetary issues have already been worked out in preparation for possible series order. What's the point of doing a pilot for a series that couldn't become a financially viable series? Even Skiffy isn't that stupid! :rommie:

12. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

I wouldn't be so sure.

13. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Stargate is not dead:cool:
    But the show really needs to go back to its SG-1 roots..and become the fun adventure show that it was, though I doubt we see any new Stargate show anytime soon.
    I would personally like to see more SG-1/Atlantis Tv-movies:):bolian:

14. MPH

MPH Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah but do we really need another show like SG1 or Atlantis??
    Personally im glad they went this different route with Universe just a shame alot of people where still stuck in there ways and wanting Stargate to carry on the tired formula.

15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think people were against SGU for being different. The reason barely bothered with SGU is because it sucked. If it were a good show, no one would have cared that it was a different show.

Although since SG-1 and Atlantis style shows are cleary what work best for the Stargate franchise, the next series would be better off going that route.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No one needs a tv series or movie. That said, there will always be a bigger audience for a show that's fun and relatively simple than for a show that's brooding and superficial as SG:U was.

17. MPH

MPH Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The problem was is that the show was on a loser as soon as they veered away from the tired formula. IMO the show is no where as bad as it was made out, yes those Earth/stone/lesbian episodes where awful but we have seen alot less of those in S2.

18. Temis the Vorta

Skiffy usually manages to make good financial decisions, even if they suck at all else. :D

Yeah. I like dark shows, and I don't think the type is "overdone," cliched or annoying (or whatever it is that people find objectionable about it). I wanted SGU to be good and was very disappointed when it wasn't even watchable.

19. Lt. Trull

Lt. Trull Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mining colony Sol Asteroid belt, Sol System
    yeah.... stargate is dead just like star trek was dead.... No good science fiction movie or idea is gone forever.... it will someday be recycled... regurgitated or something like that someday.

20. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Like greenlighting that god-awful Flash Gordon revival series with Ming the middle manager; and going all out with a glitzy website and marketing promotion - ALL before even putting the pilot in front of any test audiences...

So, you mean 'good' financial decisions like that? ;)