I'm new here, so Voyager fans help me out. Janeway's promotion???

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by infinix, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Certain temporal incursion HAVE to happen.

the point is in stopping alterations to the timeline not immoral consistences to the timeline.

besides.

If the 29th century timeships are waiting outside of time like Annorax, or temporally shielded ike YOH janeway, then that means that everytime the twenty ninth century is replaced, the previously dominant 29th century has a fleet in play which can put right which once went wrong.

There can be an infinite amount of representives form an infinite amout of potential and/or demolished 29th centuries thinking they can restore the shape fo time to some thing which they find familiar.

Unless there's an uber 29th century which is just ripping the shit out of all these wannabe 29th centuries timefleets who should just announce they're refugees and join up with the uber 29th century.

2. Vinkula

Vinkula Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thank you :) It's the best avatar I've had in a while around the internet. Yours not bad at all.

---

I always had been person, who doesn't understand these things very much, so I try just understand the basics = If you go back in time, it maybe changes something and then it's repaired / or not repaired.

3. Guy Gardener

Ah but repairing a universe might create a situation where "refugees" from the chronoscaped timeline want to repair the repairs. There is no wrong or right, just selfish.

It's like man vs woman about the toilet seat.

4. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

Personally I do not think that anyone should be upset about her promotion.

Making her an admiral just hastened her ultimate demise.

Actually, if you think about it, Janeway's actions in Endgame sealed her fate. If Janeway had been content to spend the next 16 years treking across the delta quadrant, the Borg would not have invaded and she would have lived to a nice old age. Instead she cheated. She got home early and set a series of events in motion that would result in her death.

This is why I like Before Dishonor. It forced Janeway to pay a price for her arrogance. It reminds me of Nicholas Meyer's attitude toward resurrecting Spock in ST III. His position was that if they were going to bring back Spock, Kirk would need to pay a price....thus the death of David and the destruction of the Enterprise.

Janeway paid with her life. That was a fair price. It's just another resin why Janeway must stay dead.

5. HoneyBLilly

HoneyBLilly Commodore Commodore

You know the books aren't canon, right?

She's still alive. Until someone from the 24th comes back in the nuStar Trek movies and says she's dead, she's alive.

So there is no demise.

Oh, and Janeway did pay with her life. Admiral Janeway's sacrifice at the end of Endgame. Her debt was done.

6. RyuRoots

RyuRoots Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Which is funny how convenient that is, since it still means no consequences of any kind for the regular timeline Voyager crew until the novels (which I'm going with, myself).

7. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

^ Thankfully the novels aren't canon. There's no way they could be for any of the Trek lines. However, they do provide a chance to explore different possibilities with the various characters which is great - when done well. Unfortunately, Pocket dropped the ball with the Voyager line. Perhaps someday they'll have an editor wise enough to pick it up again...

8. RyuRoots

RyuRoots Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^...uh, okay. I get that you don't like the VOY novels. That still says absolutely nothing about the point Gotham Central made (and which I personally think is a valid one) about having no consequences for the choices in Endgame.

9. Guy Gardener

Believing in karma is like believing that Time is out to get you.

No universal spirit of payback.

Although Irony is more powerful than gravity sometimes.

10. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

You don't want to get me started on "Endgame". That episode has so many flaws I have a hard time taking it seriously. I'd rather watch "Threshold". ;)

11. Dancing Doctor

Dancing Doctor Admiral Admiral

:eek:

Don't say that! :cardie:

12. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Lizard babies and detachable tongues - what's not to love? Order up a pepperoni pizza and watch it with someone snuggly. :)

13. Dancing Doctor

Dancing Doctor Admiral Admiral

Okay, the pizza sounds good...

14. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I don't mind at all the idea of her promotion. I can see Janeway as an old fleet family officer put on Voyager to give her some ship command time before being put into the admiralty. It would have made a much better dynamic with Chakotay beyond just Maquis/Starfleet. Ruleblind desk officer vs ship service and field experienced officer. Both would have a lot to learn from each other beyond just the initial set up of the show.

15. HoneyBLilly

HoneyBLilly Commodore Commodore

I'd rather watch Threshold than Equinox II, which is the only incedent for which I believe he promotion to Admiral was kind of ridiculous. But she did much more good than bad so I stand by she the fact that she deserved it.

16. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Section 31 presumably does more good than bad, but I wouldn't promote them to the admiralty. :)

17. Guy Gardener

Demote. Demote them to the Admiralty.