Hunk of the Week 5/28/09: Karl Urban

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by auntiehill, May 28, 2009.

?

Hunk of the Week: Karl Urban

Poll closed Jun 2, 2009.
  1. Damn it, Jim! (thumbs up)

87.0%
  2. He'd dead, Jim. (thumbs down)

4.3%
  3. I'm a doctor, not a hunk-o-meter. (thumbs sideways)

8.7%
  1. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

*Since we have two people on the thread list who are temporarily unavailable, I'll take this week's thread. We may have to "re-order." Anyone who would like to take a slot on our fun schedule, just let me know via PM. ;) *

Karl Urban, the New Zealand actor, was born in Wellington,the son of a leather goods manufacturer. He attended St Mark's Church School where he showed an early love for public performance. His first acting role was when he was eight he had a line on a television show. However, he did not act again until after high school. He then went on to Wellington College. Upon leaving High School, Karl was offered a role in the hit New Zealand TV-series "Shortland Street," playing gay paramedic Jamie Forrest. After appearing on the show for the 1993-1994 season he attended Victoria University of Wellington for one year, then left to pursue his acting career. Over the next few years, he landed several theater roles in the Wellington area. Eventually, he moved to Auckland where he was offered many guest roles in local shows. One of his first roles was that of a heroin addict in police drama "Shark In the Park".

As well as appearing in films and television shows, Urban had various roles in theatre productions and TV advertisements. In February/March 1998, he was in a play called The Herbal Bed at the Maidment Theatre in Auckland. In August 1998, he played Mark Antony in Auckland Theatre Company's production of Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. The following year he appeared in the Auckland Theatre Company's production of New Zealand classic Foreskin's Lament.

Urban was seen on the internationally syndicated American TV series "Hercules: The Legendary Journeys" and on its spin-off "Xena: Warrior Princess", in which he played both Cupid and Julius Caesar from 1996 to 2001. Both shows were filmed in New Zealand. He won the New Zealand Film and TV Awards for his starring role in the offbeat rural romance The Price of Milk. Urban later won acclaim for his portrayal of policeman Nick Harvey in "Out of the Blue," a dramatization of New Zealand's Aramoana Massacre.

Urban's Hollywood break came with his role in the 2002 horror film Ghost Ship. Since then, Urban has worked on many high-profile films, including in two of The Lord of the Rings trilogy (in which he played Éomer of Rohan), The Bourne Supremacy and The Chronicles of Riddick. His most recent role, is of course, as Leonard McCoy in the film, Star Trek.

*thanks to Crusher's Disciple for sending some great photos!

The Price of Milk
    [​IMG]

"Xena: Warrior Princess"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ghost Ship
    [​IMG]

Lord of the Rings Trilogy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Chronicles of Riddick
    [​IMG]

The Bourne Supremacy
    [​IMG]

Doom
    [​IMG]

Pathfinder
    [​IMG]

Star Trek
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Promo/Publicity Shots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks to both of you! I voted "Hot" although some of those other pics do nothing for me, I find him to be utterly scorching as Bones. :adore:

3. auntiehill

Something about that last photo really does it for me. Thumbs up from me, too.

4. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll be in my bunk! Oh my!

5. auntiehill

^ :lol:

Glad you...uh... approve!

6. HIj'Qa

HIj'Qa Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I first saw him in LOTR. Good thing I hadn't seen the Heracles Cupid with wings pic or I wouldn't have taken Eomer so seriously!

I think he did a wonderful job as McCoy, did DeForest proud.

Definiely a hunk :techman:

7. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

He kicks ass. Thumbs up.

8. Cali

Cali Admiral Admiral

Thumbs up from me! Especially that last picture. :D

9. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

It looks like he makes a good McCoy (I get a kick out of that "Space is death and darkness..." scene), but the funny thing is, in that next picture he looks a lot like Gary Lockwood; when I first saw that picture, or a similar one, I thought that they had actually included Gary Mitchell in the film.

Anyway, he looks like a good actor, but I don't know about Hunk status; I'll go with Sideways.

10. kalysto

kalysto Captain Captain

LOL! Everything before The Chronicles of Riddick (how terrible is that movie anyways, it seems I need to watch it on the weekend! :drool:)is extremely dodgy, but he more than makes up for it afterward. :techman::techman:

11. HighteeHeller

HighteeHeller Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good god, that last pic!:drool:

Ok, thumbs up for that.

12. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

I didn't remember he was in LOTR!

Yes, that last pic is :drool:

:techman:

13. DAK

DAK Admiral Admiral

Eh, meh. I don't get the to do over the last pic. Now second to last pic almost made me change my mind. I was too busy ogling Spock in the movie to pay much attention to McCoy. Can we do a hunk thread for Zachary Quinto next? :D

14. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

You know CD's got her womens covered. :D

15. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

I know I'm gonna get into so much trouble, but look what was in one of my Star Trek Live Journal communities this morning. :angel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. 24thcenstfan

24thcenstfan Commander Red Shirt

Its times like this that I wish I had ten hands. ;) Two enthusiastic thumbs up! :techman: :techman:

I especially love his look on Star Trek, Chronicles of Riddick, Doom and Xena (as Ceaser). He takes one heck of a publicity shot too!

He's not just a pretty face either. He is a good actor and he seems to care about his craft.

It doesn't hurt that he is a Star Trek fan too. :D

17. cubbie

cubbie Vice Admiral Admiral

He has really gotten fine with age. I much prefer him as a brunette and especially as Dr. McCoy.

18. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Those last two photos in the OP are depth charges.

19. mythicdove

mythicdove Commander Red Shirt

Oh God, this thread needs a warning label. All those pics of Karl *drops*

20. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

That picture from Chronicles... oh my! :drool:

Definitely a hunk!