How can one romulan mining ship destroy the federation armada?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Trekwatcher, May 31, 2009.

1. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Got to laugh at the people saying Countdown doesn't count. It fills in the blanks nicely for the more hardcore fans, end of.

2. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

guess you could say it's in their blood.

3. Phily B

It reminded me of exactly what the prequel said - a romulan/borg hybrid, my mum said it reminded her of the Borg a bit and she only liked TNG (she stopped watching after Insurrection, just TNG)

4. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

the thing of it is you dont even have to know about the borg tech.
    it is still a ship 139 years in from the future.. one equiped to rip apart asteriods and mine them.

5. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Uh, these are the ROMULANS, people. A fascist, xenophobic military dictatorship, remember? I'm sure they fit ALL their ships with tons of weapons, be it a warbird or a mining ship. And again, a ship from 139 years in the future will always have the advantage, be it with weapons or knowledge of Federation tactics from over a century ago. Nero even said it himself: the Narada was just a simple mining vessel where he came from, implying that a "simple mining vessel" from a century in the future is still far superior to seven Starfleet vessels from 2250.

6. perigee

perigee Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ladies and Gentlemen, meet the USS Kearsarge. (BB-5: Commissioned 1900.)
    [​IMG]

Top of the line battleship. 11.5 thousand tons. Top speed, 16kn, 4X13 inch guns, manually aimed, 4X8 inch guns, manually aimed, 14x6 inch guns, 20X six pound cannons, 8X1 pounders, 4X30 caliber machine guns. All manually aimed. Armor thickness unknown - normal for the time was 406 mm.

40 years later, with modifications to the eighties, here's the USS Missouri:
    [​IMG]

45K tons, 33knots, 9X16, 20X5, 80X40mm anti-aircraft, 40X20mm a-a, all computer controlled by the AEGIS battle system. 11.8 inch hull plating all around.

Now, tack on another 50 years of development.

of course - we could be fair, and go smaller. Like the USS Lake Champlain..

[​IMG]

This unimposing lookin' beauty is potentially more deadly than the Big Mo. top speed 32kn, crew of 33 -
    Sensors and
    processing systems:
    AN/SPY-1A/B multi-function radar
    AN/SPS-49 air search radar
    AN/SPG-62 fire control radar
    AN/SPS-55 surface search radar
    AN/SPQ-9 gun fire control radar
    AN/SQQ-89(V)3 Sonar suite, consisting of

* AN/SQS-53B/C/D Active sonar
    * AN/SQR-19 TACTAS Passive sonar
    * AN/SQQ-28 Light airborne multi-purpose system

AN/SLQ-32 Electronic Warfare Suite
    Armament:
    2 × 61 cell Mk 41 vertical launch systems
    122 × RIM-66 SM-2, RIM-162 ESSM, BGM-109 Tomahawk, or RUM-139 VL-Asroc
    8 × RGM-84 Harpoon missiles
    2 × Mark 45 5 in / 54 cal lightweight gun
    2 × 25 mm
    2–4 × .50 cal (12.7 mm) gun
    2 × Phalanx CIWS
    2 × Mk 32 12.75 in (324 mm) triple torpedo tubes

Again, she's an AEGIS ship.

She's a new ship from 89, not a refit. Again, add 50 years.

7. Lynn Minmay

Lynn Minmay Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So. The Kelvin put up more of a fight than SIX newer Federation starships did?!?

8. Basil

Basil Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But those are warships; the Narada is not. Put up the Exxon Valdez or one of those oil derrick ships instead.

9. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We dont really know that it did they could have put up just as much, I would love to see that battle as I would imagine one or two of them would be destroyed as soon as they came out of warp...they didnt say how long before the Enterprise arrived the other 7 ships got the Vulcan.

10. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

24th Century Borg Tech + 24th Century Romulan Tech = Powerhouse in any earlier era.

11. Lumen

Lumen Vice Admiral Admiral

"It's from the future" is a sufficient explanation for most people. We don't really need more than that.

12. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

And in fact, it did seem like a repurposed vessel -- their missiles were relatively slow, despite being deadly. They had no disruptors, and their primary means of destruction was from their original design.

13. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Thats another interesting point, the Enterprise was only about 2 minutes behind the rest of the fleet (thanks to Sulu's goof up), so in thouse couple minutes all 7 ships were destroyed and the Kevin lasted much longer? kinda a stretch. Also the Narada had the drill in operation at the same time so the ship had to be in a stationary position while fighting the 7 ships making it a bit tougher one would think.

14. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

If someone just wants an explanation, from the novelization, George was able to redirect his heading to a portion of the Narada lower down, where they apparently couldn't stop him. Also, in addition to collision, he had an auto-destruct scheduled for the same moment. He blew them up good.

15. Peter the Younger

Peter the Younger Commodore Commodore

The Kelvin was severely outgunned, but also had a few seconds advance warning, the task force didn't. I'd also expect that, since Nero had a quarter century to stew on the fact that he was crippled by one ship, he's probably learned a thing or two about tactics since then.

16. perigee

Remember - the E went in with shields up - all the other ships thought they were just coming in on a rescue mission. They may not have had time to fire so much as a shot - they were fish in a barrel.

17. perigee

The Exxon Valdez would make a heck of a weapons platform, if it was repurposed. It's twice the weight of the Kearsarge, still faster, and huge. Modern hull plating that would exceed 304mm of iron plating from the 1900s and the capacity to hold a huge number of missles in a bay designed to hold 1.5 gallons of crude. And just think what one of those oil platforms could do, if they set modern AEGIS systems on them - a virtual deep-sea fortress.

18. Phily B

I thought with the Kelvin the Narada was too busy trying to shoot down any ships trying to escape, but it also had character shields until Kirk escaped.

19. Prons

Prons Lieutenant Red Shirt

They spent 25 years waiting for Spock, I bet they spent that time pimping their own ride. I'm sure by the time the Narada made it to Vulcan it had a fire place in the back seat.

20. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

I figured it was a planet harvester like that ship in "Dead Space" and that is why it had powerful weapons. I also believe since teh Romulans are a warlike race, they would pretty much arm everything in case they need it in time of war.