Gaith does Wonder Woman

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gaith, Jun 2, 2010.

?

Is this suit concept on the right track?

1. Yeah. The comics suit looks ridiculous and will never fly on the big screen.

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. No, the comics suit is fine! Which is why there've been so many WW movies already!

21 vote(s)
    65.6%
  3. The comics suit wouldn't work, but this ain't much better.

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  4. Nobody cares about Wonder Woman!

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

This is the only choice you give dissenters to your opinion? Sarcasm?

Howzabout, "The comics suit is fine, and the reason there haven't been a bunch of WW movies is that they keep asking Jerk-offs like Joss Whedon to do them"? Or howzabout, "The comics suit is fine, and the last time somebody acted on the opposite impulse we got that crap Cathy Lee Crosby TV flick"?

Or howzabout just plain ol', "The comics suit is fine. Its design isn't stopping anybody from making a WW movie."

If it stops you from wanting to see a Wonder Woman movie, that's your problem.

2. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

That is awesome.

3. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice! I don't see this working as a regular, contemporary WW costume, but could definitely see it as a dress uniform/traditional outfit for formal occasions or a 1940s-set prologue or flashback. :)

So, in other words... the standard comics costume, without the silly USA bottom-stars. Sorry, but I don't see this carrying a movie. The colors aren't ridiculous, but they're not appealing, either, and the leather skirt looks much too restrictive to fight in with any agility. It's got all the dull plainness of Routh's Supes suit, but without the awesomeness of a cape or the general coolness of Superman himself.

For starters, lots of men aren't crazy about watching gals tie other men up and "breaking them." Some feel threatened by it; others are merely bored, or mildly annoyed at the hitting-you-on-the-head feminism. And when making a big-budget superhero movie, turning off large numbers of guys is an excellent recipe for burning money.

Also, you forgot to mention what's in it for those who like a good story... at the risk of going off-topic to this largely fashion-centric post, what's WW character arc?

So, to recap: DC has creative control over the costume, and if I don't like it, I can soak my head. But I don't have creative control over a light-hearted option in my own poll that no one is required to vote in in order to post on the thread, and because you don't like it, you get to read me the riot act? ;)

See the above article's "everybody hates Steve Trevor" part.

She should totally be a lesbian. :cool:

Now, back to my idea, a day later... it occurs to me that my design lacks a crucial part of a flashy superhero costume: movement. I agree with all the posters and pics that favor a skirt over form-fitting glorified panties, but don't think that a movie WW should have bare legs under a skirt, because a good half of the audience would just stare at that area during leaps and kicks, and lose track of the action. So, I took my design and added a simple skirt. That way, you get a part of the costume to flap about in the wind and during fights, without showing too much skin as to be distracting:

[​IMG]

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

A leather skirt didn't seem to slow down Xena . . . .

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Thanks. My thought is that she's an Amazon from Bronze Age warrior culture and her costume/uniform should reflect that. You're not gonna see Thor dump his Viking headgear and armor for spandex and US Army helmet. She shouldn't look like she she popped in from a yoga class or Cirque du Soleil. Play up what makes her unique.

6. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I think you misunderstand the purpose of my question and are really overstating the meaning of 'slap & tickle'.

To be fair, there are lots of guys who are crazy about having it done to them. Just not by "S&M hookers".

Bingo. This is why I'll always prefer Ms. Marvel (and most other Marvel superheroines). Ms. Marvel is a smart, competent, powerful superhero who is respected by her peers, appreciated by the public and also happens to be a beautiful woman.

Wonder Woman, on the other hand, seems to be nothing more than a straw feminist statement. She's little more than Jesse Spano with superpowers.

7. Nerys Myk

And to me Ms Marvel is a perennial B-Lister with a muddled backstory,who was created to secure a tradmark and works best as a team member.

8. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the biggest barrier to a WW movie is her mythological origin. It's kinda convoluted and might be difficult for some audiences to accept compared to other heroes.

9. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Two words: Man's world. 'nuff said.

10. Nerys Myk

Huh?

11. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

It's fairly easy to understand.

12. Nerys Myk

Yeah, I'm familar with the concept, but whats your objection to it?

13. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

It sums the problems with her character up. She and her people are defined by the concept. She's just a stick used to beat the male readers over the head.

The difference between Wonder Woman and Ms. Marvel is easy to understand. Wonder Woman is early season one Samantha Carter, Ms. Marvel is the Samantha Carter from the rest of the show.

14. Nerys Myk

Never watched much Stargate so the reference is lost on me. I've never been hung up on the whole "Paradise Island/Man's world" thing. Just another "alien world/Earth" scenerio like Asgard/Midgard or Atlantis/Surface world. I'm not sure I can even place what Ms Marvel is supposd to be as she's been through so many changes over the years.

15. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

In Sam Carter's very first scene in the show she is introduced to O'Neill and his male teammates because she is being added to their team.

O'Neill objects to this and she immediately assumes that this is because she's a woman and makes an absolutely horrible speech about them not liking her because her "reproductive organs are on the inside rather than the outside" - and yes, that's a quote.

In fact, O'Neill doesn't want her on the team because she's a scientist. Once she details her service record, he's impressed enough that he accepts her and another member of the team jokes with her about the astronaut toys they both played with as kids.

The whole scene is so utterly horrible and makes Carter so completely unlikeable that when the new updated, re-edited version was released last year the whole thing was severely trimmed.

In addition, there are a couple of scenes in later seasons where they reference how bad the scene was. (A shy and timid alternate timeline Carter rehearses the same speech but then gives it up as a bad idea).

There's also a later scene where Carter discovers that Daniel's wife Sha're was "given" to him and immediately jumps to the conclusion that he just accepted the gift - he didn't, he rejected the whole idea but they fell in love with each other later anyway.

Then came the third episode of the series, "Emancipation", where Carter is kidnapped by the male leader of a relatively primitive race where women are second class citizens and have little or no rights. The episode is filled with protracted anti-male rants from Carter as a result. It is generally considered to be Stargate SG-1's worst episode by a considerable margin.

However, as the series progressed, they quickly dropped that side of Carter's character. Instead, she became a positive female role model by actually being good at stuff and being a cool, brave, smart person who everyone liked.

Really ? How many Crises have DC had this week ?

16. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love how you're against a 'restrictive' leather skirt...

...yet favour a totally impractical bright red strapless top that she'll be pulling back up every two minutes and looks like something a 19 year old would wear to a night club.

17. Nerys Myk

18. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Of course it does. Wonder Woman has been rebooted so many times I've lost count, and if it's not as a result of yet another Crisis it's yet another writer taking over the character and seeking to revamp her in order to drive up sales of her solo title - sales that hardly qualify her as any kind of A-list character.

And I remember her as being a central character in the Marvel universe for the past several years - as a member of the Avengers, as the leader of the Mighty Avengers, as a New Avenger and as a central figure in fighting the Skrulls and Normal Osborn.

I remember her for things like fighting an army of Super Skrulls in Central Park on her own.

19. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Here is your Wonder Woman!

[​IMG]

:lol: As much as I dislike Megan Fox's acting...she is workin' the look quite well. ;)

20. saturn5

saturn5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What's the address I want to join!:lol:

Xena was never an Amazon, that was Gabby. Still Lucy Lawless would be perfect for the role or Eliza Dushku/Charisma Carpenter. Megan Fox certainly looks the part but she's a terrible actress. If they ever make a film I'd like Lynda Carter as Hippolyta (or Kristine Sutherland?)

Frankly if you don't like WW dominating men then don't worry, she always seems to be getting tied up, knocked out, hypnotised, tied up and posed in the most humiliating and revealing positions etc. Fanart/fanfic of absurdly voluptuous superheroines getting 'tamed and broken' by men is an entire internet sub-community! (and THRIVING business)
    http://www.superheroinecentral.com/mrx/xpage/index.html

if that's your thing. I remember one very clever fic where WW becomes Hitler's personal love slave (her being transformed into a Nazi sex/breeding machine is the subject of more fic than you can shake a stick at) only for her to turn around in the last paragraph and say "Actually I'm Jewish" whereupon Hitler halts WW2, dispands the Nazi party and sets up home with her in rural Austria, her having the babies and him living out his life as an obscure artist.