Fallout: The Television Series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Caretaker, Jul 2, 2020.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Finished up today. Just a very strong science fiction show, which we don't get enough of. The production crew should be lauded for so faithfully bringing everything to life. The writers wrote a Fallout show, that stands on its own as good science fiction. All the actors were pitch perfect for the roles they were given.

Looks like we're headed to New Vegas next. My wife started a new playthrough of that game right after we wrapped up the show.

I think it is possible Maximus might end up being a bad guy in season two.

Somebody should grab Aaron Moten to play a serial killer. He is a rare talent that can flip the switch with simple facial expressions.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Episode 4
    As a big fan of IT Crowd and Krapopolis, I got a kick out of hearing Matt Berry as Snip Snip.
    I have to admit, I had been assuming we'd see Lucy and The Ghoul bond and become allies, but that definitely is not what happened.
    It was nice to see exactly what would happen to The Ghoul is he didn't get the stuff in his vials.
    Definitely curious what happened in Vault 32. Did they all go crazy and start killing each other before or after their crops all died? I wonder what actor who played the guy with longer hair working with Snip Snip is really like, because I have seen him in a ton of stuff and he always plays the same kind of idiot/stoner character.

Commander Troi likes this.
  3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I will say Amazon dropped the ball with the X-Ray feature for this show, specifically with for the flashback scenes showing Lucy as a child with her mother.
    The X-Ray lists the actress playing her mother as "young Rose McLean" which certainly suggests the character might not be as dead as we are lead to believe.
    Granted, this annoys me mostly because I frequently use the X-Ray to find out who the actors are in each scene, and maybe that's wrong of me, but they really should try not to put spoilers in that thing all the same.

4. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

Here is a theory:

What if the overseer of vault 33 is the Ghouls daughter? What if she was one of Bud's Buds who was frozen for future management?

5. BillJ

32? 33 is the elderly black woman whose name is absolutely escaping me right now. I think all the Overseers for 32 and 33 are the popsicles from 31.

That was Vault-Tec's plan to make sure their future became the dominant one. Making sure their ideas weren't lost as they dwindled from memory of the offspring.

6. Jedi Marso

Jedi Marso Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She was very young when the bombs went off, and in her father's custody.

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Betty and we see her younger self when Coop is visiting Vault-Tech

BillJ likes this.
  8. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

Ahh missed that.

Ok then no.

9. BillJ

Can we put a spoiler tag on the thread title? I feel like I'm trying to keep information from the Nazis having to spoiler code the discussion.

He says he is trying to find out what happened to his family. Does he forget that his daughter was with him when the bombs went off? Or did he rush her to the Vault right after the initial explosions?

Thank you!

10. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & Somewhere..! Moderator

Just binged the entire series this weekend. It's pretty good! I've never played the Fallout games, which is surprising, since I am a sucker for post-apocalyptic science fiction media. Might have to give them a whirl. I'm going to hop on my soapbox and complain about shows only getting 10 or less episodes a season again with 1 - 2+ year gaps in between new installments though.

Commander Troi and BillJ like this.
  11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

My theory on that is shortly after the explosion someone from Vault-Tec found them, took the daughter and left Coop for dead.

Commander Troi, Nerys Myk and BillJ like this.
  12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I assume there is a reason for the Ghouls. Probably an experiment by one of the Evil Corporations involving life extension is my guess.

13. Jedi Marso

Jedi Marso Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That would make a lot of sense based on what we saw.

14. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I'm a little surprised that we never saw Dr Braun at the Vault-Tec meeting, he was the creator of the Vault Program and the GECK after all.

And I was already prepared for the constant "back and forth" timeline jumping after Westworld. At least here it didn't feel as pretentious and full of itself

15. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's no real reason within the game universe, other than their existence kind of fits with the retrofuturistic 1950s idea of what radiation might be able to do to a person.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Episode 5
    Yeah, I knew Maximus showing Thaddeus who he really is was a mistake the moment he started too. But I was a little confused as to why he didn't tell Lucy the truth. She has no connection to the Brotherhood, so she's not going to care about him not being Maximus, and she's gonna find out anyways once the run into Thaddeus. Things would probably go a lot better if he'd just been honest from the start, because I really can't see her being happy that he lied to her.
    Looks like Lucy has been through enough to start to understand what life is like in The Wasteland.
    I loved the scene on the bridge.
    Hmm, definitely looks like the Vault 31 residents are up to something.

17. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

Finished the series today. I'm very impressed. Damn glad they already approved a second season.

Jedi Marso and BillJ like this.
  18. evilchumlee

evilchumlee Captain Captain

There was another guy kind of looming in the background who I would assume is Braun. Sounds more like him... not up being the center of attention, more lurking in the shadows.

It just happens. There doesn't appear to be any reason for it other than Fallout radiation working by 1950's sci-fi radiation rules. There's no real rhyme or reason to ghoulification. It happens, or it doesn't. There might possibly be a genetic component to it, those who have the gene may end up ghoulified in the right circumstances. Might also apply to going feral.

There *ARE* plenty of things in the Fallout world that are due to experiments, but ghouls don't appear to be one of them.

Hoping season 2 brings in Super Mutants. Then... yes. THEY are experiments.

BillJ and fireproof78 like this.
  19. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The "other species" in Fallout were basically parodies of typical fantasy stuff in a Sci-Fi setting. Ghouls are simply Radiation Zombies and Super Mutants are Orcs. There isn't much reasoning behind the Ghouls' existence beyond that.

We saw one dead Super Mutant in the show, but it was just its hand under a sheet on a bed so you wouldn't know unless you knew the games

20. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral