E-Book Status

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Jeff Ayers, Mar 3, 2008.

1. bok2384

bok2384 Commander Red Shirt

I am quite saddened by this news, the SCE/CoE series was one of the finest in the franchise. While I'm still reading my way up through the SCE series, I have read all of the CoE releases and found most of them to be excellent, especially The Light, The Art of the Comeback and Signs from Heaven. I hope to see more from the da Vinci crew someday.

On a plus note, I am glad that the book titles are still being released in eBook form, as this is the only way I read them.

2. Geoff

Geoff Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Perhaps this has been addressed before and I missed it, but will any of the SCE/COE pals be making an appearance (even if only a brief cameo) in the Destiny books?

I'll also be curious to discover the theme of the next short story anthology, and whether or not a tale of the da Vinci crew might fit in.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

A Tellerite in love? That's a scary thought.:eek:

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Quite possibly... or maybe even before then. ;)

5. Alslayer

Alslayer Lieutenant Red Shirt

I really loved reading Star Trek SCE. The series had great characters, great situations, and was just a joy to read. I have read the series for years and it really felt like another Star Trek TV series. I want to thank everyone for the great stories. I hope some day I will get to enjoy SCE again.

6. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow, this is sad news indeed! :(

I am, however, very grateful to have had the chance to romp with the crew of the da Vinci -- thanks, Keith! It was also fun creating some serious character stuff in The Light, and cool to see how subsequent authors dealt with the repercussions in later installments. So much for my next COE proposal, but I guess I'll just have to keep that one on ice...

Oh, and thanks to Smiley and bok2384 for your comments on The Light earlier in this thread. It's much appreciated, and I'm glad you enjoyed the story. :)

7. TheAlmanac

TheAlmanac Writer Captain

I'm very sorry to read this news...

CoE was a great example of the TrekLit line being brave enough to expand in new directions and take advantage of technology to tell stories which otherwise wouldn't have seen the light of day.

Here's hoping the crew of the da Vinci (and the Lovell :)) live on in further adventures...even if that means they have to poke their heads into other casts' books once in a while. ;)

8. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

^ I can safely report that we'll see the Lovell in the next Vanguard book. :)

9. VanCardboardbox

VanCardboardbox Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This is very sad news.

The CoE series is an absolute gem (I'm up to #36) and I thoroughly enjoyed Mere Anarcy. The first three S&A books are waiting on my HD and I'll definitely complete the series. Here's hoping that this proves only to be a hiatus.

Thanks to all who worked to get these great books out to tree sparing, happy readers.

10. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

^ Thanks so much!

11. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sad to hear the series is ending. I've had to rely on the print anthologies for discovering and tagging along. This may sound stupid, but...I am correct in assuming that the existing stories which have not yet been published in trade paperback will be in the due course of time?

12. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

^ Yes, indeed. The next CoE compilation, Wounds, is due this fall, and more are tentatively coming in 2009 and beyond.

13. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

What I was asking was, Is Simon & Schuster putting all original eBooks on hiatus, or only the ST eBooks?

Did they not produce any other eBooks except ST?

14. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

Boy, that's too bad. But hey - it'll let a non-eBooker like me catch up on the paperback reprints! (I was starting to think I'd never be able to catch up with the storyline!)

15. KRAD

To the best of my knowledge, they didn't do any others, but I'm not sure.

It should be pointed out that the editorial office that handles adult media tie-ins is separate from the other editorial offices within the great Simon & Schuster megalith. The department -- which includes four editors and one assistant, plus a couple of freelance freeloaders who hang around like me and the occasional intern -- is pretty autonomous from the rest of S&S. It's a separate department with its own policies and its own sets of budgets and things.

I can say for sure that Star Trek was the only line in that department that was doing original eBooks (although Blizzard Games has also done a couple of original eBooks, b/u/t/ /P/o/c/k/e/t/ /d/i/d/n/'/t/ /d/o/ /t/h/o/s/e/,/ /B/l/i/z/z/a/r/d/ /d/i/d/, with Pocket publishing them and including them in Warcraft and StarCraft trade omnibuses). And I can say for sure that no other original eBooks are destined to take the place of Trek's (and I'm still trying to work out the logic of speculating that they would, but never mind).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  16. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Kinda suprising, given that SCE was just being rebranded as CoE. Sucks that instead of building up momentum with that rebranding, it was put on 'hiatus' instead...

17. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think that's quite right, Keith. :vulcan:

Pocket was the publisher of the ebook versions of those stories (is, actually, since they still sell them), not Blizzard. And two of them credit Marco in the acknowledgments, which makes me doubt that they were packaged by Blizzard for publication by Pocket.

That said, it's also been eight years since they came out; given that there haven't been any since those first three, they can hardly be called a line methinks. :)

18. KRAD

^ Whoops.....

19. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

well, this sucks. SCE was my joint-second favourite series with Gorkon after NF.

ah, well. keep on doing the trade omnibuses and i'll keep buying them... and i will get Mere Anarchy and (hopefully) the print version of Slings and Arrows...

20. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Though I never really got into the e-book thing it's sad to see this part of the Trek lit universe going on hiatus as they're calling it.