Duke Nukem Forever: Releases 2011 on 360, PS3 and PC

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Timby, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Beat me to it.

To be honest, this reminds me of Chinese Democracy. It gets delayed so long nobody gives a shit. The only impact that album had on me was that I got a free Dr. Pepper. This is kinda the same way.

2. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think that anyone is expecting this to be a revolutionary game, and if it was then it would be disappointing. DNF needs to be a 90s shooter with some modern bells and whistles attached, if it tries to be the next Halo or Call of Duty, it will fail. Thankfully, the footage that was released last year after 3D Realms went belly-up indicated that this is the same old Duke Nukem, so there is hope.

I don't know if I'm going to get it, it depends on my mood at the time of release. As a 10 year-old that played DN3D with friends, there are few games I remember more fondly, so if it ends up being a passable shooter that plays on nostalgia, I'll probably get it just to play as Duke again. DN3D wasn't a great game, but it sure was fun, and if DNF can pull that off too then it will meet its objective.

Whether it will sell well outside the hardcore gamer crowd... I don't know, perhaps people that never played Duke before will want to find out what he was all about.

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^That sums it up pretty well actually. Duke Nukem 3D was never a *great* game or a revolutionary game, it was a *good* game that happened to be a lot of fun (remember when games were fun?) That's what made it a classic and all this game has to do to satisfy me personally is to do the same.
    Of course none of that would actually make it worth over a decade of development, but then nothing would really be worth that.

4. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

5. Captain Pike

Captain Pike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perfect...

6. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

:guffaw:

7. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll probably get it, as I enjoyed DN3d. After hearing this, I've reinstalled that for a playthrough:)

8. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My overriding memory of DN3D is that in the first level you were in a cinema shooting aliens on jetpacks while the screen showed a woman in a bikini dancing. That is Duke Nukem! Considering the fact that DNF has the left button on the d-pad dedicated to "Beer", it seems like this game could be Duke Nukem too. :techman:

I don't like the fact that you're only able to carry two weapons at a time, that seems far too much like Halo. This is Duke Nukem we're talking about, he should be able to carry over a dozen weapons and still choose to kick his enemies in the face.

9. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

^ Agreed. Duke Nukem is - or should be - a traditional FPS. Meaning: Huge amounts of ammunition, and lots and lots of guns :techman: Strategic choices concerning weapon pickups are great, but that's not what Duke Nukem is all about.

10. TEH BABA

TEH BABA Commodore Commodore

Original dos platform duke nukem game is the best.

11. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

In other news, Gearbox has acquired the Duke Nukem intellectual property rights, so the studio now owns Duke.

12. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

I didn't like the first much, but Duke Nukem II is an amazing platformer.