Do we hate Harry Potter and Twilight?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Extrocomp, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Guh? Like black is the new black?

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

2. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

3. Anthony Sabre

Anthony Sabre Commodore Commodore

Hate em' both!

4. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Generally, everyone in the movies, male & female, is way better looking than they would be in real life. Actors like LaBeouf & Maguire get to play the "ignored nerds" because they're the glamorized movie equivalent of that type. Let's put it this way...
    Brad Pitt:Shia LaBeouf::Shia LaBeouf:me.

I'd agree with the 1st part but not strongly disagree with the 2nd part. We may not fantasize about being Shia LaBeouf or Ricky Gervais but we do certainly fantasize about getting together with women like Megan Fox & Jennifer Garner.

Wait, what?

I concur that most men don't fantasize about being cheated on like in Forgetting Sarah Marshall. However, the real story in that movie is about Jason Siegel discovering new love with Mila Kunis. That's where the fantasy lies. As for Kristen Bell cheating on him at the beginning of the film, that's actually a popular way to begin romantic comedies, with the protagonist being dumped or in some other way romantically stifled. For a female equivalent, I direct you to The Holiday.

5. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not a fan of either franchise but I don't hate them. With Harry Potter, I'm not a huge fantasy fan, and if I do fantasy I care more of LOTR or Conan variety. Even though some of the FX and creatures in those movies look interesting, its not interesting enough to get me to watch them.

I listened to a little bit of the audiobook for Twilight and it just wasn't my thing either. I don't care for Meyers take on vampires. I like the vamps from Lost Boys, Blade, Underworld, Bram Stoker's Dracula, etc. Not much into the romantic vampires like Meyers and Anne Rice. Looking back, I guess both series having teen protagonists perhaps might be a reason they aren't grabbing my attention. If I was a teen, I might be into HP, not sure about Twilight since its primary audience appears to be young girls.

6. Extrocomp

Extrocomp Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:klingon: You know what I meant! I was in a rush and the first time I wrote my post it didn't get posted for some reason and I had to write it again. Now no one's going to take me seriously. :scream:

7. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

Harry Potter is boring. Some kid doing magic trick. Saw the first couple of movies and refused to spend any more money on this crap.

Twilight - Drama queen vampires. A bunch of emo fools. The only vampires I like are the ones in True Blood.

8. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

New Moon wasn't quite as bad as I expected, granted I wasn't expecting much, but my 13 year old niece loved it.

9. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

To be fair, they were directed by Chris Columbus of Home Alone fame. Of course they're gonna suck. Doesn't help that the first two books are the most kiddy.

10. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm afraid I can no longer separate the first two Star Wars films from the franchise in general - so when I say "Star Wars is mediocre broad-appeal entertainment aimed at guys" I mean all of Star Wars. And it only gets the mediocre label because of the first two films, which average out how unbelievably stupid the last 4 films are - easily as poorly written tripe as Twilight. And certainly the PT mixed medium to poor reviews with success.

I think that comparison is fair as well - though I'd argue that Twilight's popularity is less transient than Transformers, which is popular during the first two weeks of release and then entirely forgotten until the next spectacle sequel.

Which is the point I was trying to make as well. Plenty of women dislike action movies - find them boring and unentertaining, but go because their boyfriends are going. However, there's another section of women who like both romantic comedies and action movies, because action movies are the Big Movies, because women have grown up on men's stories from The Great Gatsby to Moby Dick to The Outsiders to Superman, and have long since learned to enjoy them (in a variety of ways - from identifying with the protagonist, to identifying with the protagonist's love interest, to enjoying them just as good stories). And then there's a smaller group, to which I belong, that love heroic fiction more than your average romance tale and so prefer action movies (in general) to romantic comedies (which, except in rare instances, I find neither romantic nor funny - this does not equate to them being bad stories, however, simply not my cup of tea).

However, stories of romance have long been ghettoized as "for girls" and men have learned to be embarrassed if they enjoy them because someone somewhere will throw a disparaging remark his direction if he mentions he liked it - and occasionally guys are roundly humiliated by brothers, fathers and/ or friends for enjoying such tales. This then gets communicated to any story where a female is the protagonist. For instance, some friends of mine and I were trying to pick a movie and I suggested Whale Rider - a truly beautiful and touching tale about a girl coming of age as a modern day Maori and her relationship with her father and grandfather. And the guys in the group shook their heads. I said, why not - you guys like art films, this is critically acclaimed. They said, "because it's about a girl. We'll be bored."

Granted anecdotal evidence only goes so far, but I'm pretty sure several other people in this discussion have run into the same thing, either amongst their friends, or in themselves. I'm trying to deal with it right now with my nephews (ages 6 and 8) who have already absorbed that they should be embarrassed if they watch a movie or read a book about a girl main character - and they've grown up in an extremely progressive household.

Ha! Good point. Likewise, wasn't there a large 25 and older guy audience for Buffy during the high school years, many of whom I'm sure lusted heartily over Gellar?

I'm reading King's On Writing right now and he speaks often of the numerous letters he's received in his career from people outraged at his various visions.

I think, in general, it is true that men tend to enjoy stories about men and women tend to prefer stories about women. If you look at statistics of who reads what kind of books and who watches what kind of tv - this is indeed, generally true.

Actually, from its inception in the 19th century, the novel was seen as "women's entertainment" (and vastly inferior trash to the sturdy masculine books men read) and even today in English-speaking countries, women read overwhelmingly more novels than men do. So, I don't think it's true that most stories were aimed at men.

Sure - I've enjoyed many a tale about people of other ages, ethnic groups, genders, sexual orientations, species, etc from me. I never said people only ever enjoy stories with people who are exactly like them. It's possible to identify with a variety of characters for a variety of reasons. Some viewers/ readers are voracious in their intake of stories - and I wasn't really talking about them. I was talking about general audiences - people who are in it for the entertainment alone, which is the larger percentage of the audience. Really only a small group of folks go at stories critically and have the kind of wide-ranging tastes that many people on this board have.

I disagree - I think most of us look to relate to someone in the story. How flexible we about who that person can be or look like is the difference. Most of the people in this discussion have honed their abilities to enjoy many kinds of stories with many kinds of protagonists. However for a huge proportion of people, I think that they tend towards stories that have someone who is generally similar to themselves. Not always, not exactly, but generally. Thus why we see the audience for Twilight largely consisting of teenage girls, the audience for Star Wars largely consisting of 6-40 year old guys, the audience for Harlequin romances largely consisting of adult women, the audience for Clint Eastwood westerns largely consisting of adult men.

Then there's a ton of material in the middle with lots of appeal both directions - which is where I'd put stuff like Lost, Grey's Anatomy, even Battlestar - large, ensemble casts with sprawling stories that include action/ adventure, romance, family drama, sex, religion, etc.

No, a guy would think that's a fairly gender-neutral fantasy, because guys a lot of the time think that guy stuff is gender neutral, just like a lot of the time white people think white stuff is race neutral. It's not. Fairly few women laugh and clap their hands after destroying something via explosives. Personally, I tend to think in that moment (and yes, I have actually hung around with some folks into demolitions and the group consisted of 2 dozen guys and one woman) - that was a waste of time, effort and material for a half-second climax, and now someone's going to have clean up that mess. In general, random destruction for the sake of destruction really doesn't strike me as cool.

Very true - and I'd even venture their are a variety of other male wish fulfillment fantasies of a romantic nature that are somewhat more sophisticated than the comedies listed - from movies like Bull Durham to maybe things like Big Fish. There's an audience out there too for a thoughtful, reflective masculinity where values like commitment, tenderness, fatherhood (or sonhood), etc are explored.