deg3D_TOS.5 Enterprise

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by deg3D, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

deg,

Checked out your F-104 and I must say, excellent work. By my eyes, damn near "photo-real". Impressive, most impressive. Your lighting skills, primarily "daylight" is spot on. Bye-the-bye, your TOS E 1.5 is my current desktop on my home PC. Lovely work.

Looking forward to more updates!

Q2UnME

2. deg3D

deg3D Captain Captain

Thanks very much dude, glad you enjoy E and my work! :)

For the record though, I call her E.5 and/or TOS.5 E. No "1" for this version. ;)

More soon. ;)

deg

3. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Alright, that's enough. Far too much well-deserved admiration going on here, so I'm gonna pick a fight.

So it's not too much to add those torpedo launchers, the heating elements on the "bussard domes", and the motion picture phaser arrays, but knocking the turbolift off to the side a bit crosses the line?

Keep your retort short ... I'd rather you produce more beautiful renders to ogle ... er ... fight over.
    :angel:

4. deg3D

deg3D Captain Captain

Those don't change her profile (much). Moving her TL would change her profile (too much).

Thanks. ;)

deg

5. Psion

Well, that's what I get for asking you to keep it short. To be pedantic, I doubt the change would do much to her profile at all. Her plan on the other hand ... [grins]

Seriously, though, I'm enjoying your work way too much. It's gorgeous. And it's your project. I just felt compelled to put my two credits in. Have you given much thought to what the hull looks like to someone who's kneeling on it? Does it have regular penetrations for mounting safety lines for workers? Are there releases for hull plates? I've been photographing wet-ship hulls for a couple years trying to figure out how to make models look more realistic, and there are all sorts of interesting features to be found that don't show at a distance similar to that which we typically see the Enterprise.

Keep up the good work!

6. deg3D

deg3D Captain Captain

Pedantic. Nice use of vernacular outside the standard lexicon eh. Kudos on that, as I enjoy hearing/reading advanced use of vocabulary. ;)

As to profile, actually, moving the TL 36ยบ would change the profile outline from either a port or starboard orthographic view, by reducing its projection out into said profile.

As to the minutia detailing of a starship (or any model), you could do that, as there's no limit to what you can build (other than the computer that could support and render such a large amount of data in a timely fashion, otherwise you end-up w/what is often referred to as a render-choker). I have seen guys build every nut-and-bolt on smaller scale craft such as planes and cars, but on something as immense as the scale of a starship, it would take you forever.

Sure sure there are uber-detailed hero models, but more likely (and not a rule by any means, as there are no hard-and-fast rules), the only time you would build that amount nuts-and-bolts detail in VFX would be if the shot called for it, and then, you would only build/detail that section (as a separate mesh (model) that was going to be needed for that particular shot.

But like I said, if one has the time and CPU/RAM power, and patience, for that level of detailing, have at it. However, at that point, stuff like that becomes an exercise unto itself really, IMO.

As to normal modeling, you'll never miss it. I used to uber-detail stuff, and still do build in (other than pro-level) above-normal amounts of detail into my projects, but my nuts-and-bolts daze are for the most part behind me, as they just don't pay off (artistically) that much (as the details just get lost in most renders), for the amount of effort, and time, that has to be put in. Doesn't pay off for me any longer anywho.

But, if a shot required it, I'd push around whatever amount of polys were called-for. ;)

deg

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  7. Luis

Luis Ensign Red Shirt

:drool::luvlove::bolian:

I feel for one time, that I am not alone wich my ideas how should look the Enterprise....

8. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

tap tap tap tap tap

9. Psion

Hey! You're one to talk! Hows that project coming?! Huh?

Both of you ... quit arguing and get back to work!

10. deg3D

deg3D Captain Captain

Thanks very much guys. :)

NEW preview looks good Scott. ;)

All painted...

978 x 474
    [​IMG]

1956 x 948
    [​IMG]

More comin'...

deg

It's only a model. - Patsy, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

11. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Damn. I think this is the best model I've ever seen.

12. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Awwwwwwwwwwwwesome! :techman:

13. ncc-1017-e

ncc-1017-e Captain Captain

Beautiful please some different angles

14. deg3D

deg3D Captain Captain

deg3D_"Standard orbit Mr. Sulu."

978 x 474
    [​IMG]

1956 x 948
    [​IMG]

More comin'...

deg

It's only a model. - Patsy, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

15. deg3D

deg3D Captain Captain

Moved from other thread

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2008
  16. GilmourD

GilmourD Commander Red Shirt

Sweet bajeebus!!! Can you do these in a 16:10 aspect ratio, too, for us widescreen monitor guys? I've got a 1680x1050 res but anything larger at 16:10 AR will make most guys with big LCDs happy. :)

17. deg3D

deg3D Captain Captain

Thanks dude. :)

Well, I have a 30" Apple Cinema display and the 1956 looks great on there with it centered with the monitor background set to black. Leaves a nice black edge border all around for icons and such too eh. I just get so many requests for custom sizes I just don't have the time to do them all, as it is a bit of work, and I am always way busy as is.

Thanks again, and please give the 1956 a try out. It is HD 16:9 as is BTW. ;) Very happy you like 'em so much. :)

deg

18. Icy_Penguigo

Icy_Penguigo Captain Captain

Re: deg3D_"Standard orbit Mr. Sulu."

Freakin' awesome. I really like the texture you chose for the spheres at the back ends of the engines. Very cool. When do we get to see some front views of this girl?

19. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Your shot reminds me (at least a little) of some of the stock "classic" shots of the Enteprise, like this one.

It would be fun to see some of the "classic" shots reproduced, with your new models. Same goes for Vektor's.

20. ncc-1017-e

ncc-1017-e Captain Captain

Just beautiful!