deg3D_TOS.5 Enterprise

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by deg3D, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Tim

Tim Vice Admiral Admiral

Ditto. These renders are just incredible!

2. deg3D

deg3D Captain Captain

Thanks very much guys! Glad you like her. :)

As I was thinking of adding those darkwing_duck1 (after watching IAM'D), what modeler's notes are you referring too exactly, and where can I get my paws on them? Thanks. :)

Well, anything is possible TK421, time will tell. ;)

PLL,
    deg

3. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

There aren't any formal notes, just what the modeller who made the mesh said in an interview and in response to questions he got.

What happened was that when he made the mesh, he put a single tube opening directly between the impulse engine vents. When they animated the mesh for shooting, however, if you watch the torpedoes fire, they appear to be coming from the aft end of the secondary hull, specifically from directly below the white dome (which I THINK is supposed to actually be the approach control room for the shuttle bay).

So you have a choice as to where you want to put the tube: where the modeller intended it to go, or where the FX as aired seem to show it to be. If you choose the latter, I would suggest taking enough liberty with it's placement to move it down to the "fantail" or just below it.

To help you, here's an aft render of the Defiant using the actual mesh posted by Rob Bochune (sp?) over at Hobbytalk. You may have to open an account to view it, but it's free to do so.

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/attachment.php?attachmentid=25655&d=1138608858

As you can see, on this model it's just a small hole. Your "nipple" tube would probably fit, but I still recommend putting it under the fantail (below the "meatball" approach lights. You could even put TWO there if you were so inclined, though the "canon" mesh only has one.

4. deg3D

deg3D Captain Captain

Thanks very much dude. :)

deg

5. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

No worries, mate!:bolian:

6. JBElliott

JBElliott Commander Red Shirt

This is still the best "updated" version of TOS Enterprise out there! Too bad they didn't do this in the movie.

7. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

We need to see both Vektors and Degs designes flying in formation.. :evil::shifty::devil:

8. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

Ooh, I'm all for that. :D

9. deg3D

deg3D Captain Captain

Thanks much guys! :D

Well, Vektor seems to ignore me, as he's never posted a word in any of my E threads on any of the many forums she is on, and he has never thanked and/or commented back to me when I comment nicely on his E in his own threads on many forums. I can't speak to what that is about myself.

Ah, and looky there a Johnny Slash avie. Nice one Praetor. :)

deg

10. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I certainly haven't ignored you, I just haven't been very vocal in my admiration for your TOS.5 Enterprise and other projects. Don't take it personally, though; I rarely post comments on other peoples' work. I should probably make more of an effort to do so but I just tend to be very busy. I do try to respond to everyone who posts a direct question in one of my threads but I don't usually respond to general comments like, "Nice stuff, keep 'em coming!" even though I do relish such comments as much as any other ego-driven artist type. ;)

So, congrats on a very cool updated design and on the recognition it has received. I made a pretty big splash with my version when Anthony included it in his article on TrekMovie.com but it has kind of fallen off the high-level radar since then while yours only seems to keep climbing higher, so you're obviously doin' it right. Keep up the good work! :techman:

11. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

I also don't generally comment in other people's threads much, so I'll just take this moment to say that I'm a massive fan of both of your versions of the Enterprise. You both showed that you could capture something new without losing the essence of the original.

Thank you both. :techman:

12. deg3D

deg3D Captain Captain

Ah good to hear from you dude! That's what I figured, and why I put the words "seems" in italics. I just have never spoken to ya, so I didn't know what to make of it. I understand busy, so I get ya there, eh. Just being two E lovers who built her around the same time, I thought I woulda heard from ya at some point. We're all different though, IDIC. Nice to hear it was only a seeming matter. :)

And yeah, I have never really posted anything other than admiration, no Qs that I can recall, that you are very good for answerin'. I do have a Q for ya now though; did you base your drive-way shot on the Datin curb-side one? And I love the idea so much, would you mind if I followed in your genius footsteps with the idea of the concept? I don't want to horn in on your idea/E-thunder, I just think it's too brillant for words. What's the sayin'; Imitation is the highest form of flattery. :D

Oh, and for the record, while you obviously know I lean toward the pureness of Matt's lines version of my TOS.5, of all the TOS re-works, yours is, IMO, far-and-above the best. I like the others (Gabe's, MKF's) I see too no doubt, but if her TOS lines had to be altered a bit, you did it just right. I esp. like the casing structure at the end of her nacelles!

So coolness we finally got to chat E, eh. Thanks for your nice words about me work, and know the feeling is quite mutual, eh. ;)

Well thanks back for comin' forth and expressin' your thoughts and feelings Shaw! I really appreciate that, as I'm sure Vektor does as well. While my base motivation is to make stuff I myself would like to see, like V said, it's always nice to to hear other's nice words (and crits too), and IMO, makes it all the more worth it to have built my models, esp. Trek models, as hey, we're all Trekkers, and it's esp. nice to put a smile on a fellow Trekker's face, eh. :)

LLP guys!

deg

13. deg3D

deg3D Captain Captain

Oh, end Vektor, just wanna say, I liked your comment (on SFM I think...) about Trek XI, and it not "raping your childhood" and all that. That's cool by me if folks wanna feel that way, IDIC - to each their own view, but I'm with you, as I'm a Trekker, and as I say for myself: Even bad Trek is good Trek, to me. I will be there at midnight and find out which type this will be. Either way, it's all good to me, as like I said, I'm a Trekker, and well, I love Trek.

Your expressed view was refreshing to hear. :)

IDIC,
    deg

14. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Like I said, I need to do a better job of responding to people and commenting in other peoples’ threads. I probably come off as a little stand-offish and disinterested but I don’t mean to. I spend a lot of time browsing all kinds of threads here on TrekBBS, over at SciFi-Meshes, CGTalk, etc, I just don’t often take the time to post. As much as I thrive on feedback from the people who follow my work, I should do a better job of providing it to others. Not to late to tack on another New Year’s resolution, I guess. ;)

Actually, the Datin photo was barely even on my radar when I did that pic. It wasn’t until later when other people started making the comparison that I realized I had probably had it somewhere in the back of my mind. It’s a type of image I have been thinking about doing for a long time in various forms. Originally I was going to do it as something closer to the 3’ model sitting on my computer desk, but I’ve got so much junk piled on there and I was too lazy to clean it up, so the driveway shot won out for sheer expediency. If you want to do something similar of your own, go for it; there’s nothing especially unique about the way I did it.

Thanks. I am largely a traditionalist myself when it comes to TOS, though I will say that more changes are in store for my model and they could end up to be somewhat more radical.

The nacelles were one of my favorite design features as well. As I have mentioned elsewhere, they were actually inspired by the sketch I did for TrekMovie’s April Fools article a couple of years ago with a supposedly leaked sketch of the Enterprise from the new movie. The design was intentionally absurd in most of its details, but the warp nacelles were something I struck on that I really liked.

Absolutely. I love your TOS.5 design. I was especially impressed with your hangar deck and the jet fighter compositions you did. Beautiful work.

15. RedSpar

RedSpar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I was thinking, all of us 3d artists should stay in touch more...Maybe by using MSN Messenger, Skype, Twitter, etc.. So when the need arises we can bounce ideas and questions off each other.

BTW, I am ginormous fans of both Veks and Degs work. You guys have my same stylistic tastes and I always aspire to reach your levels of work. I must have watched Degs showreal about 100 times and Veks pics are always on my desktop background.

16. deg3D

deg3D Captain Captain

Thanks dude, and yeah, I recall that sketch eh, didn't know you did it though. Good one. ;)

As to responding, well, just for myself, I tend to be very empathic, and I feel as an artist, that others artists enjoy acknowledgment of their work as well (I'm not an ego-driven praise-hound by any means, but it's very nice to hear what folks think, eh, good or bad). And sO many folks take the time to let me know what they do think of my work, that I try my best to always acknowledge that and let it be known that I appreciate them taking the time out to do so. It's another level of nice to hear from artists I admire as well. I'm sure you know what I mean in that regard.

And, in reverse, I like to show my appreciation of other artist's work as well, be it encouragement (as I know it means a lot to my fellow artist "fans" to hear from me on their projects (really, that's not as egocentric as it sounds, i.e. taking it a tier up, I just know when someone like the Trek pros praise my work it means a lot to me, so I try to take that feeling and pay it forward, so-to-speak), or, if I see something that is just outstanding (I'm hard to impress), like your own work, I like to acknowledge it as such.

That's just me, not sayin' that's how everyone should do it. No such thing as "shoulds" in my life-charter, as IDIC. I just find, as I am able and can, it spreads the good feelings around, and builds a nice sense of fellowship and a true sense of artist colony (and fans) community on the forums. TBT, it makes it more Trek-like in basic ideal to me, eh.

But sure sure yeah, time. Forums (esp. with so many of 'em these daze) can take big ginormous bites outta one's (project) time. TBT, I have had to back off my surfin' the boards myself eh, due to time, so I hears ya on that, roger-dodger, eh.

That's just my two quatloos as to that, eh.

PLL my TOS E-brother,
    deg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  17. deg3D

deg3D Captain Captain

Well thanks very much RedSpar! :)

Cool of you to say, thanks! Glad ya enjoy me reel. As to IM'ing, that would be nice, but I mainly keep that open for biz related stuff. And like V expressed, it just comes down to how many hours in a day available to tend to everything.

Love to see some of your work sometimes though. If you post any on forums, feel free to let me know, eh. :D

deg

EDIT: Oh I see you have a link in your sig. I have to have a look when I get some time. ;)

18. deg3D

deg3D Captain Captain

Oh d'oh, you're THAT RedSpar, from SFM! I didn't put it together without seein' your cool logo! Oh man, I LOVE your work on Matt's original shuttle dude! You rock!

deg

19. RedSpar

RedSpar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hehe thanks! Yup, I'm that RedSpar. Hope there aren't any others out there... ;)

As for IMing, I wasn't talking about rattling on to each other all the time..o.O Just have a way to get a hold of each other for questions/ideas/critique, etc when need be. Trust me, I am very busy too!

Anyways, just a thought.

20. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess with things sorted I can expect a formation flight wallpaper in a rediculously high resolution soon then. :p

In all seriousness, I like the old TOS E a lot and the approach the two of you have is respectful AND imaginative, if Jefferies were around to see them he would have the biggest possible grin on his face.

less serious.. GET BACK TO WORK! [​IMG]

;):lol: