Deanna Troi: What changes would you make

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by TS-1838-SWATH, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

I actually find that very interesting, chardman. I would have rather enjoyed seeing Troi and Picard at odds for those reasons, but I bet there would be a lot more Troi haters than Troi 'meh'ers.

2. TS-1838-SWATH

TS-1838-SWATH Commander Red Shirt

Very interesting Councilor,

Would she have technical
    knowledge of how the ship works?

3. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    Chardman:

Wow, that sounds really interesting. There's a novel I read by Arthur C. Clarke, The Songs of Distant Earth, that has a character a lot like that. It would've also meant for some hot conflict between Riker and Troi, with the added dynamic of their failed relationship as the subtext behind their arguments.

I think that Denise Crosby would've been better suited for that version of Counselor Troi, IMHO. As many of you may know, TPTB had considered casting Denise Crosby as Troi and Marina Sirtis as the security chief, then named "Macha" Hernandez, their version of Vasquez from Aliens.

Certainly, as prickly as Picard was in the first season, he would've been taking umbrage on a regular basis!

I also thought that was a kind of role that would be perfect for the wife of the captain, the civilian liaison who is the only person who can butt heads with the captain and get away with it -- other than the CMO, of course. What sparks would fly then!

Red Ranger

4. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

When I first heard about TNG, well before it came out, and heard about this character, it reminded me of the character from "Songs of Distant Earth" as well.

That's what I was expecting the character to be. As such, I was really kinda bummed when the pilot movie aired, and Troi was little more than a watered down retread of Ilia from TMP, though with even less of a clear purpose for being there.

I kept hoping that the Protocol Councilor role would eventually establish itself, but that never really happened. That said: the New Age Therapist that Troi eventually became was kind of an interesting idea, and one which I think contributed to the series overall, but they needed to come up with a logical in-universe reason for her to be stationed on the bridge, rather than next to Crusher's office in Sickbay.

5. NathanielM

NathanielM Captain Captain

ACCORDING TO TREK LORE:

and most fans know this, the counciller positions was a new position on Starships. It reduced combat fatigue outside on lopng voyages and allowed better crew "Adjustment"

The only thing I would change is Deanna thought casting with Riker more. (Although she appeared at farpoint many years after and he long forgot how to do it.) He could have recovered himself and made up for lost years.

After the episode where Lt Riker appeared in their time line, I would have presumed they would have become a tad bit closer.

Also I would make an episode from Imadi, - Peter David

That was an excellent episode (two parter) one of the most powerful romances and stories I would ever read. Alot of emotion in it.

6. LaBarre

LaBarre Commander Red Shirt

I'm so glad they didn't end up with this because it's too close to the bitter reality of Soviet communist party Political Officers who were assigned to USSR naval ships and armies. Their sole purpose was to spy on the crews and report back to Moscow on any deviations from party propaganda - and to authorise executions, as required (a role perfected in Stalin's time).

That would have been a very bad look for the 24th century, IMO.

7. TS-1838-SWATH

Got two more ideas I'm working on :cool:

8. TS-1838-SWATH

Make that three 1 Large and 2 Small ones working out on word at the moment

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  9. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Crazy enough, I probably would have made Troi half-Human/half-Vulcan myself--but unlike Spock, she would have fully embraced her Human half and would actually have a kind of salty sense of humor. Even so, she would still express some surprisingly brutal Vulcan logic to Picard at key times though. Her position would not have been chief counselor (as that duty really ended up going to Guinan anyway), but rather "protocol officer". Not so much a psychologist as an advisor from Starfleet Headquarters itself...

And yes, I would have kept her in the "cheerleader" uniform from Encounter At Farpoint, but as protocol officer, it would have been command red and she would have worn her hair down like she did in the movies...

10. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or even just a "political officer" so the show could further embrace its Communism roots.

11. TS-1838-SWATH

I would have gone Betazoid/Vulcan,
    Protocol Officer "cheerleader" in RED Black Hose, boots half as high TOS.
    Also kept her hair long to hide her ears (Due to that people see her ears before those Black eyes and an Emotional Vulcan) She got FED up with people going all weird around a Vulcan that DOES NOT RE-PRESS her emotions, at some point shown her with her up or in a braid so the viewers can see her Vulcan ears.

12. TS-1838-SWATH

THE TPTB would not have the guts for that

13. TS-1838-SWATH

IIRC even some of the writing staff were at a loss as to how to write for the Deanna Troi Character there was talk of writing her out of T.N.G. in year 1.

14. Praetor

I hate to say it, but it would have been interesting to see the overall development that would have occurred had Troi died instead of Yar, and they'd not gotten another bridge counselor. I can easily see Worf moving to helm to replace Geordi after Geordi moved to engineering.

15. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I've heard many people say, and I guess I think so myself, that Worf's character developed because Tasha wasn't there anymore. He took over the physical stuff, the security role, and the writers and viewers took to the idea of a Klingon on the bridge in a defensive role. Maybe Worf's character would have suffered if Tasha had stayed. I can't see how Deanna leaving would have altered TNG's great themes and episodes the way that Tasha staying might have, she just didn't seem to have that kind of impact on the stories or the other characters. If Tasha had lived we might not have got Yesterday's Enterprise (although I prefer to think that we would have!) And we wouldn't have had all the Sela stuff. Although we might have had all the Sela stuff with a different face - Troi's rather than Yar's. Finally, it's ages since I've mentioned my pencant for Riker/Yar, so I suppose it's time it got an airing again. I'm basing all this on her line "Will Riker, you're the best," and some other bits and pieces from the first season that my aged brian can't recall right at this moment! Maybe Riker and Tasha hooked up at some point. I think they'd have suited each other. Or maybe he would have got together with Ro in Connundrum because there was no Troi to walk in on him and Ro at that moment.

I think Deanna dying would have had an impact on the details of TNG while Tasha dying seemed to have an impact on the overall story/theme progression. But of course that's with the benefit of hindsight! :lol:

16. Praetor

I think Worf would have developed as a different character and perhaps a less 'stereotypical' Klingon. And Riker/Yar is interesting and might have worked quite well.

However, after reading what you just wrote and letting it digest for a minute, WillsBabe, I think I'm glad we got what we got.

So back to improving Deanna. :lol:

17. WillsBabe

That's a good point. Might we have missed out on what started out as interesting but ended up as interminable Honourable!Worf episodes?

I think it might have worked in earlier seasons when he was still more a man of action.

18. Praetor

We might have if he moved to helm... alternatively we may have gotten more of him struggling with his cultural 'identity' if he was feeling less like a traditional Klingon. Maybe Wesley would have shipped out to the Academy sooner too?. :D

Yeah. Maybe they'd have spurred each other on though? They were both rather feisty.

19. WillsBabe

I think that at the time it was interesting to see all the stuff about Worf that we did, but I also think that a struggle with his cultural identity would have been interesting, too. Perhaps more so.

Fiesty. I like that! :beer:

I remember the conversation Riker had with Deanna in BOBWI. She asked him what he wanted when he wondered what he was still doing on the Enterprise. If Deanna was dead at that point, and he was having that conversation with Yar maybe she'd have just kicked his ass off the ship!

20. Praetor

It might have nicely set up a 'defanged' Worf who had to regain his Klingon-ness on DS9...

I do indeed imagine she might have told him to leave and he wouldn't have listened... and then that whole Locutus business happened. Then maybe they'd have broken up, and he'd still be there. And uncomfortable. ;)

Protocol Officer Troi might have reacted differently too. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.