Spoilers Civil War (2024) grade and discussion thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Skipper, Apr 5, 2024.

?

How do you rate Civil War (2024)?

1. 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 9

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. 8

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

That's an interesting detail specific to Mussolini's fascist movement. But, given how divisive the politics concerning immigration by non-ethnic Italians are in Italy today, what do you think are the odds that a contemporary Italian fascist movement would treat all ethnicities equally, and that a fascist leader would enthusiastically promote social welfare policies for all lower-class Italian citizens, regardless of when they attained citizenship? ;)

I'd call that specifically historical (as in, century-old) Italian fascism, which was developed before the discovery of DNA's double-helix structure, much less before the common person had any idea what a "computer" might be, and which therefore has rather limited relevance to fascistic movements today, but, okay.

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Finally went to see it today and I liked it a lot, it's a slow burn but I think that's intentional, they always say war is 90% calm and 10% insanity.

One gunshot genuinely caught me off guard and made me jump.

Some scary scenes, and damn for someone who comes across as a really nice guy, Jesse Plemons plays bad-guys very well. Dunst is great, in fact the whole case it great.

The final act is incredible. Have to say that
    it did seem a tad obvious that Lee was doomed.

The decision not to get political was spot on for me, there was never any indication as to which side anyone was on, and even if we knew what side they were we knew very little about the sides themselves.

I had one thing that bugged me.
    Having the other journos show up just so Plemons could off them seemed like a cheap trick.

8/10

3. Jedi Marso

Jedi Marso Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ho-lee crap. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt. Where were you when Bill Clinton needed a spin-doctor?

Set Harth likes this.