CHILI!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Trekker4747, Oct 8, 2009.

1. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

I am fully aware of chile verde, actually. Comparing it to chile con carne is like comparing apples to oranges, though. As you said, they're two totally different things. If you prefer one to the other, that's fine, but there's no cause to belittle a dish so widely varied and loved by millions.

2. Michael Chris

Michael Chris Admiral Admiral

^I'm not talking chile verde... I'm talking green chile (it is a COMPLETELY different thing). As to belittling chili con carne, eh.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

:wtf:

I'm certainly no chili expert, but those say exactly the same thing...the only difference is that one is Spanish and the other is English.

4. JuanBolio

Green chili is different from green chili? Okay. How so? I see chili peppers in that picture... on a plate. What is that? Do you just eat green chili peppers and call it green chili?

5. Michael Chris

Yes, translation wise they are the same. As to what they are. They are completely different. Chile verde is a dish (that doesn't always even have green chile in it). Green chile is not a dish. Green chile is something you smother on everything.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I have no idea what you're talking about. :lol:

So what do Spanish-speaking people call "green chile?"

7. JuanBolio

I'm with you. :wtf:

8. Michael Chris

Here's fries topped with green chile:
    [​IMG]

Here's some green chile roasting:
    [​IMG]

Some ristras:
    [​IMG]

Frontier's breakfast burrito smothered with green:
    [​IMG]

This DISH is chile verde:
    [​IMG]

9. JuanBolio

Gotcha. Your "green chili" is a condiment. Looks delicious, I must say, but comparing it to chili con carne is still comparing apples to oranges.

10. Gaseous Anomaly

Gaseous Anomaly Bonzo Admiral

Looks like baby crap on fries... :wtf:

11. Michael Chris

It's not "green chile" it IS green chile. It can be a condiment, but also an ingredient. There is also green chile stew. Of course, it is apples and oranges. That said, anytime someone says chili I think of chile. I doubt I've gone a week without eating chile.

12. Michael Chris

Appearances can be deceiving... It is quite simply manna. Nothing can beat the taste combined with the burning of your lips, mouth and throat.

13. Major Chord

Major Chord Choir Boy Extraordinaire Captain

This thread unlocked some cravings...

Seeing as how I probably haven't consumed more than 1500 calories in the past 2 days, thanks to a fever, I cooked up a can of Campbell's Chunky Roadhouse Chilli. Best chili I've had in a while...but that's only because he last time my mother made chili, she forgot to actually cook the kidney beans before putting them in the crock-pot. That was a nasty kind of crunch...

14. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't been into Frontiers yet, (usualy hang out at O'Neills) tell me some about it

15. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Your green chili looks more like green salsa, which is awesome.

16. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmmm, it is about time to cook up a crock pot full. I can live on it for nearly a week. :)

I wave to watch my fat, so I'll usually make it with a mix of a pound extra lean burger and a pound ground chicken, then add my assortment of chili seasoning, three small cans of tomato sauce, and a jar of medium heat salsa. I'l throw it in the crock on low for about seven hours. Right around hour six I'll throw in a can of black beans and kidney beans.

Anybody tried adding beer to their recipe? Adds an interesting tang to the flavor.

17. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

y'know what's also really good?

several boneless chicken breasts (or pork chops)
    a jar of salsa (or two or three . . . enough to cover the meat and veggies)
    fresh chopped veggies (corn, celery, peppers, onions, carrots, etc . . . whatever you like)
    a can or two of beans

throw everything in a crock pot and cook it slowly until the meat just falls apart :D

18. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh wow, I'd completely forgotten that recipe. One of my favorites! I just haven't made it in awhile since a half dozen chicken breasts cost so darn much. :( I usually just add beans and corn though. Get some rice, cheese and shreaded lettuce and it makes awesome burritos and nachos.

19. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Tonight is going to be leftover chili verde from over the weekend.

My wife made it this time, and she did a much better job of cooking the tomatillos so they didn't just fall apart. Plus instead of using chili powder, this time we got fresh peppers and roasted them first.

20. Michael Chris

Sort of. It's a condiment, but it really is more of an ingredient in general. It's way better than salsa though!
    You know, I go by Frontier nearly every day (live near UNM and am a student) and I haven't been in years! The closest I've been to it recently was doing a human pyramid in front of it. You definitely need to go there though, it's an Albuquerque institution.