Can I suggest an Art Contest?

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Frontier, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

A suggestion for the latest challenge: even though it's midway through the month (my fault, totally!), keep the deadline to the end of October - we've had several extended challenges, but they haven't seemed to increase the number of participants; maybe what we need is a 'flash challenge' ;).

2. BorgMan

BorgMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ay ay captain!

3. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Hey, Y'all - Hold my beer and watch THIS!...

Anyone want to try to render the bridge (or any other part of a starship/starbase/etc that tickles your fancy) as it would have been designed by a bunch of rednecks? Barco lounger captain's chair, and the rest of the seats are folding chairs? Easy access to beer coolers? Shuttlecraft up on blocks? Truck nuts? How 'bout a pickup truck with a warp nacelle strapped to the top? :D

4. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Duct tape. Lots of it!

USS Triumphant likes this.
  5. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What's for July?

6. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

- Undecided yet, Laura. June's poll closes tomorrow morning (unless it already has - there was talk of closing it a little earlier) then the winner will come up with July's art challenge. Stay tuned!

7. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Oh, that's how you do it. Thanks.

8. Death Ray

Death Ray Commander Red Shirt

FREE THE EXOCOMPS!!

9. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Has this idea ever been done before?

"Fixer Upper" - Here's your chance to redesign that prop, uniform, alien, starship, etc, that everybody said was lame or ugly.

10. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Isn't that called "Discovery"? ::runs::

That's a cool idea for a contest.

Admiral2 and Lord Other like this.
  11. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Well, there was the “Redesign a Trek Prop” contest in May of 2004. :lol:

In other words, yeah, that's an idea that could be tackled again.

12. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So we have college kids on this board who missed that one because they weren't in grade school yet? :)

13. Laura Cynthia Chambers

This would be with an emphasis on making people like their redesigned version of something fans agreed was terrible-looking.

14. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Stop making me feel old! That's my kids' job!

15. flospet

flospet Cadet Newbie

Sounds like a interesting idea. I would like to see a TOS bridge updated with modern tech.

16. holyforge

holyforge Ensign Newbie

Great idea. I'm in!

MisterD likes this.
  17. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So, how about this? Trek has generated a ton (perhaps literally) of books. And since "The Orville" is drawing so heavily on the Trek ambiance, how about doing fake "Orville" book covers? I'd kind of dig seeing that.

Michael likes this.
  18. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

When my latest art challenge entry proved popular, I had a mild panic about coming up with a theme for the next month's challenge should I end up winning. Here are the results of my anxiety:
    • Illustrate a song that has a connection (however vague or tenuous) to Star Trek. For example "Secret Garden" (or anything, really) by T'Pau, or "First Contact" by Erasure, or "I Lost My Heart to a Starship Trooper" by Sarah Brightman and Hot Gossip, etc.
    • The Future Is Now / Indistinguishable From Magic - design/illustrate a technology in Star Trek's future
    • Fairy Tale Trek
    • Treasure Map - create a star chart, geographical map, floor/deck plan etc that promises a Trek Treasure - Done: May 2019
    • The Old Collage Try - create a Trek image entirely out of collage, be it physical (from magazine clippings etc), or virtual (from images found online)
    • Almost, But Not Quite - illustrate/photograph something similar to something Trekky, be it shapes, colours, style/design. or people. A looky-likey perhaps, or an otherwise ordinary mark/object with a distinct similarity to something from the Star Trek universe - think of this thread started by @Laura Cynthia Chambers, for example.
    • Redesign/recreate the cover of a Trek novel/book/magazine, or just come up with the cover for some TrekLit that you wish existed
    • Oops A Dais- Wait! In the time it's taken me to write this post out, the poll of this month's art challenge has closed, so I'm going to use this last idea for April's challenge :)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  19. Handyman

Handyman Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

How about this...
    Submit a design for a ship that doesn't look like the enterprise or any other ship in the "canon" library.
    Use your imagination to come up with an engineering section, bridge and propulsion system other than the tampon and Frisbee concept. (chuckles)
    [​IMG]

20. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Some ideas to float...
    Strobing Kaleidoscope nacelle caps, moiré pattern deflectors (or vice versa)

I've often wanted someone to do a 3D CGI of the Enterprise as depicted on the outer cover of the old Mego bridge
    https://picclick.com/NOS-UNUSED-1975-STAR-TREK-MEGO-USS-Enterprise-113028613382.html

Remember the many panels that were to be used as screen images of other starships? It seemed the saucer was all-Bridge in those panels--a kind of super-deformed nendoroid/Funko-pop Enterprise.

I'd like to see that fleshed out. Lensman--I'm looking at you.

The Enterprise as depicted in toy art. That might be a contest.

BTW.....Anybody remember these?

Somehow, they got by me.